Teaching seniors science

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Teaching seniors science

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:53 pm

I've run into a problem after a few years of classes. I use a DVD for most classes, as there is no budget for supplies. I think the Olli organization I make the classes for had just one class in university labs, it was geology. I did not get to take it, 20 signed up the first hour of sign ups.

Anyway, the problem is that there is a slight interest in the various topics, such as the FDA film Poison Squad (I had 15) and the last one was Uranium (six signed up, one left half way thru first class). Some give me nice reviews and sit through the whole class. I think the only angle they see it from is people. So I had Chernobyl and Manhattan Project in the films. But as soon as I put up some chemistry they turn off. They may have taken a chemistry class, almost none ever took a physics one. I don't do math, so it is just molecules which I pretend has some meaning. It does not. Not even the short introduction ever helped:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/166RpBg ... sp=sharing

There are in fact a number of topics of current interest
Many of the STEM issues up for debate — from CRISPR gene editing to personalized DNA kits, data security to genetic privacy – didn’t even exist during the Greatest Generation’s formative schooling years. Without a proper education about these issues, people are often left deciding how to vote based on how their friends are voting, political ads they’ve seen, or “gut feelings.” But even people with prior beliefs can change their minds when taught the science behind the issues. A recent study, for example, showed that, regardless of their political and religious background, people who understood evolution were more likely to accept it. If we take time to to teach people, they can make better informed decisions at the ballot box.
https://www.salon.com/2018/06/30/why-sc ... e_partner/

I gave a class on humans and DNA (15-20 attended), but there is a retired teacher who keeps giving her version every 2 years so I gave up on that.

I can give classes on any topic I like, but the tendency is now to get a university professor, journalist or politician as speaker. Or three of them. Then you do not give any introduction tio the field and the instructors get blame if the class is too hard. They do not care as they are one time guests or maybe twice, and never come back.

I don't have the tools to teach other subjects as they are a bit varied. That critical thinking stuff. You can sort of get the idea if you get as study guide in the field, such as high school AP study guides on history of literature.

My fall offering is a recycled class that had a Friday PM slot that only 3 signed up for.

I will be talking to the geography department to see if I can get two speakers. One on physical gheography (science!) and the second 90 minute session on human geography. Geography is more than memorizing state capitols in middle school.

I've sent my course comments to Jim to view and comment on by private message. You can respond there or here (don't quote them here though).
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Teaching seniors science

Post by Tero » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:41 pm

The worst ever was a woman who also gave a bad rating, but I pretty much ignored it then. It was only amusing to me. The course was called Natural Products and there was a good description in the catalog. She had only read the title. At 15 minutes of class she got up and went out. Her objection was that I turned perfectly natural substances into molecules.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:07 am

Only crazy marxist scientists can understand "molecules". Good, god-fearing Americans can ignore them, because they are not mentioned in the bible... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:31 am

Tero wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:41 pm
The worst ever was a woman who also gave a bad rating, but I pretty much ignored it then. It was only amusing to me. The course was called Natural Products and there was a good description in the catalog. She had only read the title. At 15 minutes of class she got up and went out. Her objection was that I turned perfectly natural substances into molecules.
She'd likely buy salt at twice the going rate if it is labelled "organic".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould