Old Fashioned English.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Old Fashioned English.

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Say people, would any of you be familiar with old fashioned (Victorian) British English?

I'm reading the Great God Pan, by Arthur Machen, and I've stumbled on a term I can't understand.
the word 'area', except that it's definitely not the modern or mathematical meaning.
It seems to be some place, apparently outside, but clearly a dependance of a house, like a court yard, but since Machen didn't use that word, I guess there are nuances that escape me.

Can anybody shed light on that mystery?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Old Fashioned English.

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 pm

There are a number of archaic uses described in the Oxford English Dictionary.
1. A level open space with defined boundaries, either open-air or within a building, in a variety of particular contexts; an arena, court, square, yard, etc. Now historical and rare.

2 a. Originally: †(in a theatre) a level, typically semicircular, space immediately in front of the stage where audience members (or performers) may stand (obsolete) (historical in later use). Later: a seated part of a theatre auditorium immediately behind the stalls and beneath the circle (now rare).

b. A sunken court giving access to the basement of a house, separated from the pavement by railings, with a flight of steps providing access.

3. A garden bed or border. Obsolete.
I don't know if any of these help--context is important.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 05, 2021 10:23 pm

L'Emmy's probably nailed it. Can you quote the passage Svarty?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 06, 2021 9:05 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 pm
There are a number of archaic uses described in the Oxford English Dictionary.
1. A level open space with defined boundaries, either open-air or within a building, in a variety of particular contexts; an arena, court, square, yard, etc. Now historical and rare.

2 a. Originally: †(in a theatre) a level, typically semicircular, space immediately in front of the stage where audience members (or performers) may stand (obsolete) (historical in later use). Later: a seated part of a theatre auditorium immediately behind the stalls and beneath the circle (now rare).

b. A sunken court giving access to the basement of a house, separated from the pavement by railings, with a flight of steps providing access.

3. A garden bed or border. Obsolete.
I don't know if any of these help--context is important.
The sunken court thing would vibe well, I remember those Georgian/victorian houses, with the main stories above ground level, and kitchens etc below, with some kind of moat around them...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping