Xenophobic Nationalist, oh shut up already.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Xenophobic Nationalist, oh shut up already.

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:15 am
Who's complaining about their culture being at risk? What's the risk and who or what is it at risk from?

Context is important here. Are we talking about some specific threat to the way of life and/or mode of expression of a particular demographic? Are we talking about a conflict between groups with a particular identity? Are we talking about cultural drift?

If, say, you're an upstanding member of the Southern Baptist community and you say that the nation's Christians and Chrisstian values are begin undermined by Californian sodomites you're, erm, fears and concerns are operating across several cultural contexts there.

These things are knotty. So again...

Who's complaining about their culture being at risk? What's the risk and who or what is it at risk from?
Indeed. Now, whatever the answers to these questions how is it appropriate to minimize a person's investment in their culture by claiming they've merely overvalued the trivial accident of their birth place?

I've seen that sort of response many times. I don't agree with it. What say you? Is a person's pride, nationalism, desire to protect their culture, just a stupid feeling for nothing more than an accident?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Something else related to this topic that I find interesting is how much closer we all are to each other than to much of the cultural history we sometimes identify with. It seems to me that we should get along better than we do because of this. More importantly, it seems that by ignoring this fact--if it is indeed a fact--some are able to divide us along imaginary lines.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:

I've seen that sort of response many times. I don't agree with it. What say you? Is a person's pride, nationalism, desire to protect their culture, just a stupid feeling for nothing more than an accident?
Given that it is often expressed as a reaction to other groups such as blacks or gays claiming, with justification, that their sub-group has suffered discrimination and oppression, it often comes across as a whine from a privileged group saying "we're oppressed too..." with little reason other than regret that their once automatic feeling of cultural superiority is threatened.

Perhaps this sort of white conservative backlash is only a subset of a more general cultural nostalgia, but it is a definite meme...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Oh no, what did you do, Svarty? If you're going to say something racist, say it at Rationalia, not RatSkep... :toetap: :hehe:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 pm

just stated the fact that when a privileged group loses privilege to be put to the same level as other groups, they do perceive the new state of affairs as being unjustly downtrodden...

and I did not say anything racist, if anything it was antifeminist more like
said that we needed the brown personnel because our wimmins, using their new found freedom, were no longer making enough babies to ensure the future of the Western world.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:

Given that it is often expressed as a reaction to other groups such as blacks or gays claiming, with justification, that their sub-group has suffered discrimination and oppression, it often comes across as a whine from a privileged group saying "we're oppressed too..." with little reason other than regret that their once automatic feeling of cultural superiority is threatened.

Perhaps this sort of white conservative backlash is only a subset of a more general cultural nostalgia, but it is a definite meme...
Who cares about white people.

I heard a Mexican on the radio the other day complaining about Tex-Mex. He said it was an attempt by whites to take credit for his culture. It sounded like racist horseshit to me. It's exactly how all supremacists talk.

But maybe it's not. He does have a lot invested in this bit of his culture. He'd like to preserve some part of it, apparently who gets credit for it. :dunno:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Tex-Mex. Another poorly served market outside the U.S. I've considered opening a taco truck in Swaziland.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:36 pm

I've thought the same many times, just not in eSwantini...