Thank you Russia

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Thank you Russia

Post by JimC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:34 am

In this particular instance, yes.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 am

#KRG!

(Keep Russia Great!)
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:11 am

I'd be very wary of having the same opinion of Russia as the US.

Personally I've had a hell of time finding any story that's not a rehash of every other story about Russia. It doesn't matter what they are talking about, it has the same slant, same feel, same obvious urging. They don't even try to be subtle.

Sadly, the only source that didn't was a fucking wall street type! :lol:

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me to learn Russia likes the treaty because they think they've found a way to come out ahead.

BTW Jim, in how many ways must they be reasonable before they get off your naughty list?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 am

Personally I find reporting on Venezuela to be like that. Smells like US propaganda. But the difference is that there's not many reporting from VEnezuela, unlike Russia where there's plenty of reportage out of there. You might just have to consider that the majority opinion of Russia as a giant kleptocracy is correct.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:45 am

I do consider it possible, just unlikely. It's more likely in my opinion that we've succumbed to our biases.

Why is every story the same?

I know it's whataboutism, but how can everyone really believe Putin is a bond villain for going after traitors when the US --and its allies-- ignore data pointing to a likely humanitarian crisis in every conflict we've started for ages now? I mean Jesus Christ, one dead traitor really is a tragedy right?

And this is near constant. Look up Russian news now and you'll find stories of poisonings and suspected murders. Now look up US news. You'll find story after story of sick shit, but it's someone else's sick shit, a cultural problem perhaps, a problem among the public, but nothing about the thousands killed during countless attempts at regime change is being laid on Washington with anything like the frequency of Putin's misdeeds.

Yes, we know these things. Yes, there is a lot of coverage of these things. But it is spread out and lacks the appearance of a focused effort to discredit the US. Whereas no matter what is happening in Russia you'll find stories at all times about Putin being a bond villain.

That's propaganda. It's obvious and pretty fucking relentless if you ask me.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 am

My news feed is full of US sick shit. It's why I hate your country so much! :lol:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:01 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 am
My news feed is full of US sick shit. It's why I hate your country so much! :lol:
I know.
Now look up US news. You'll find story after story of sick shit

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am

We make tough decisions, Russia makes selfish decisions.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:49 am

Putin is definitely Bond villain-esque. Trump's too dumb to be a Bond villain. Cheney qualifies...

And by the way, Putin doesn't only kill traitors. Dissidents, journalists, etc...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:04 am

Like I said, we make tough decisions. Russia makes selfish decisions.

We kidnap people off city streets in broad daylight; but you're reminding me again of Putin's bond villain like behavior.

--//--

context: collapse of 90s, constant, unrelenting interference from major world powers. --discuss

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Russian Priests Dump Holy Water From Airplane to Cure ‘Drunkenness and Fornication’
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/ ... ion-a67259

:lol:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Here is an opinion piece that talks about the abuses of Putin's government leading up to the recent elections. But it lacks a context I'm looking for. It does however hit upon an important point, even if ironically missing the opportunity to apply it to itself by a mile.
Second, nobody knows how the “opposition candidates” elected on Navalny’s recommendation will behave.

Their ranks include, for example, a man named Alexander Solovyov who reporters have never even seen. He has exactly the same name as an opposition candidate in that district who was barred from running, and the authorities initially put his “double” on the ballot simply to confused voters.

Even the “fake” Solovyov won more votes than the openly pro-government candidate.
On the one hand, the fact that people would elect a literal unknown shows how deeply opposition sentiment runs. On the other, many of the new deputies wound up on the Moscow city council purely by accident.

The only real victory in politics is when power changes hands. That did not happen in this case, but protestors did achieve a victory of sorts against government propaganda.
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/ ... ort-a67225

--90s collapse, constant, unrelenting interference by leading world powers...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:30 am

How do you explain him locking up opposition politicians and journalists? Hard to blame that on the West.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 am

I don't, not with a good conscience anyway.

What I do is wonder about the influence of certain things that are not as often discussed as Putin = bad.

I wonder about the 90s collapse for example because of what it means for the strength of Russia's institutions.

We take ours for granted. But look at how important to our conversation they've become since 2016 and Trump. I really believe that we would go to extremes to protect them.