Picky eater goes blind

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Picky eater goes blind

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:47 am

And a parent disorder.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:22 am

Chips and crisps? Luxury. When I were lad ate gravel and mud and were glad to have it.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:19 am
No, he was kid with an eating disorder.
He was a kid with bad carers. Social services should have stepped in.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:21 pm

It's hard to imagine why they didn't seek treatment earlier. Now he's 17 and there is nothing they can do.

But it's important to keep in mind that we aren't actually machines, or at least machines that are so well understood that repairs are assured. We don't know what all they tried. We know they took him to the doctor and he was supposed to take supplements. They may have taken him to head docs too.

But so what? There's no guarantee of anything where these things are concerned. There are many parents out there struggling to get their children help to no avail. There are probably even more idiots promising help of all kinds that does nothing or worse.

Automatically blaming the parents doesn't help in my opinion.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 pm

No? Whose fault is it then? The child? Weird.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm

What's weird is your insistence on finding fault for a mental disorder. It's archaic actually.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm
What's weird is your insistence on finding fault for a mental disorder. It's archaic actually.
So just do nothing? Archaic.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 pm

It's possible that you will end up doing nothing, yes. But more importantly to the point I was making --which btw is hard to believe you've missed-- is that there may not be much difference in the end. So, it is not possible to look only at the consequences of a mental disorder e.g. blindness, and decide that nothing was done and therefore someone must be held accountable.

--//--

We don't know what all they tried. We do know they took him to the doctor and that he did not stick to the doctor's advice, which is not uncommon.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:56 pm

‘First, do no harm’.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 pm
Sure, everything happens for a reason, and this is a terrible case, but the point is that a moral judgement on the kid, the parents, the medical or social support staff assumes that what happened to the lad is and always was an avoidable outcome, and while I'm sure we'd all prefer that the child had avoided the normally avoidable effects of malnutrition we'd probably also acknowledge that people with mental disorders can not always be managed effectively, medically or socially de/reprogrammed, or simply forced into different, better forms of behaviour. These are complex matters that very often resist simple and simplistic push-button resolutions.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Anorexia nervous it seems has the highest mortality rate of all psychiatric disorders. These are not exactly self inflicted, cases of neglect or ignorance.

http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/about/statistics

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 pm
It's possible that you will end up doing nothing, yes. But more importantly to the point I was making --which btw is hard to believe you've missed-- is that there may not be much difference in the end. So, it is not possible to look only at the consequences of a mental disorder e.g. blindness, and decide that nothing was done and therefore someone must be held accountable.

--//--

We don't know what all they tried. We do know they took him to the doctor and that he did not stick to the doctor's advice, which is not uncommon.
Maybe in your world sunshine. Taking him to a doctor is minimal but unless you have money in your world you are fucked.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:12 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sure, everything happens for a reason, and this is a terrible case, but the point is that a moral judgement on the kid, the parents, the medical or social support staff assumes that what happened to the lad is and always was an avoidable outcome, and while I'm sure we'd all prefer that the child had avoided the normally avoidable effects of malnutrition we'd probably also acknowledge that people with mental disorders can not always be managed effectively, medically or socially de/reprogrammed, or simply forced into different, better forms of behaviour. These are complex matters that very often resist simple and simplistic push-button resolutions.
We are not talking push button solutions Brian. A normal healthy society would look after these type of patients. The system has failed.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:12 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
We are not talking push button solutions Brian. A normal healthy society would look after these type of patients. The system has failed.
That's a rather glib and insensitive remark. Unfortunately these things happen, in your adopted land as elsewhere. Treating people with mental disorders is difficult and complex work which does not always result in the best outcomes. I can understand your frustrations though. In fact I share them. The difference between us is that I'm not leaping to apportion blame based on simple-minded assumptions and incomplete information.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:46 pm

I have personal experience in this field Brian.