If you Live in Freedom, Thank the British Empire

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: If you Live in Freedom, Thank the British Empire

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:21 am

Svarty you had to have a pair to on page 3.

That 20% would be in Scotland. All Little Englanders love royalty.

Our King Billy has to watch out. There is only just 51% support for the royal family here. The Argentinian mare is not as popular as you think. Whether his daughter will be queen is in doubt. The under thirties hardly support the royal family (27%). A move to a more Swedish solution could be expected.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:24 am

Svartalf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am
well, as a Canadian citizen, I'm still a subject of Her Majesty, and I"ll hate it when jug eared charlie takes up the mantle.
Jug Ears and a 100 A Day will never be on the throne. Liz and the Greek are stiff with monkey glands so they will keep going for a few more years.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:41 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:21 am

Our King Billy has to watch out. There is only just 51% support for the royal family here. The Argentinian mare is not as popular as you think. Whether his daughter will be queen is in doubt. The under thirties hardly support the royal family (27%). A move to a more Swedish solution could be expected.
Are you deliberately obnoxious? I think you must be,

Support for the monarchy is pretty consistent across the UK, at above 70% plus for decades. There are some good reasons, not least the length of Elizabeth's reign and the perceived stability or at least solid core to the ‘story’ of the country. It might well change if Charles takes over. The system has stood the test of time and having a virtually powerless head of state, who none the less holds the government to account is a pragmatic approach to government.

Still, it can’t be justified given modern sensibilities and personally (apparently an exception for ‘little Englanders’ ) have to place myself in the republican camp. Not that it makes any difference. Currently the monarchy is very popular and that isn’t going to change any time soon.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:41 am

Svartalf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am
well, as a Canadian citizen, I'm still a subject of Her Majesty, and I"ll hate it when jug eared charlie takes up the mantle.
As a Canadian you are not a Brit. Not since 15 February 1977 at the latest.
While all nationals under those categories continue to be Commonwealth citizens, the definition of British subject was limited to its present meaning. It currently only includes the category of people previously called British subjects without citizenship as well as women who married such persons and registered for the status. The term is no longer synonymous with Commonwealth citizen. British citizens are not British subjects as defined by this Act.

In other Commonwealth countries that still retained it, British subject status was progressively abolished. The status remained in law in South Africa until 1961, Canada until 1977, New Zealand until 1977, and Australia until 1987.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:52 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

I assume that the 'Argentinean mare' is your queen, but what does the 'swedish' solution mean? your royalty is already barely involved in politics, at least not since Juliana.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:56 am

Svartalf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:52 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:

I assume that the 'Argentinean mare' is your queen, but what does the 'swedish' solution mean? your royalty is already barely involved in politics, at least not since Juliana.
..and yet almost a third of their written constitution concerns the role and function of the monarchy. Sounds a bit obsessive to me.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:08 am
Why does pragerU exist? Where's their competition?
Leftist professors who teach leftist lies like social Marxism, evolution, and climate change.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:00 am

Rum wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:56 am
Svartalf wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

..and yet almost a third of their written constitution concerns the role and function of the monarchy. Sounds a bit obsessive to me.
Dutch are like that, clear spoken to rudeness, plus, the royals need to know their place.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:00 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Ipsos MORI interviewed a representative sample of 1,001 GB adults by telephone on 13-16 February 2016.
Note, it doesn't say "a representative sample of 1,001 Scottish adults". :mrgreen:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:06 am

Given that Scotland voted to remain in the UK at their referendum, if we assume half of the 55% who voted to stay were more or less in support of the current status quo (at opposed to 70+ in the UK as a whole - well the figures speak for themselves. Not all little Scotanders are republicans.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 am

I just can get how one would want to live under the British regime, whigs being barely less toxic than tories.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:35 am

Svartalf wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

The Swedish royal family are completely self supporting. They receive nothing from the state except when they are hired to to do the job of king and queen. Our mob still get subsidies like the British mob and their palaces are maintained at the cost of the state which is a very sore point here. Their main palace Huis den Bosch has just been refurnished for €30 million and they get to live there for nothing. Both King Billy and the Argentinian mare both work and their kids go to normal schools. They even cycle to school.
As far as politics is concerned the last bits of power they had has been removed so they dont have any function apart from opening parliament.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 am

Rum wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:06 am
Given that Scotland voted to remain in the UK at their referendum, if we assume half of the 55% who voted to stay were more or less in support of the current status quo (at opposed to 70+ in the UK as a whole - well the figures speak for themselves. Not all little Scotanders are republicans.
"Scotanders"? A new tribe?
Like to see those figures. A nice presumption. The Scots want to stay in the EU. Fuck the UK.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 21756.html

The inventors of the concentration camp.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:06 am

OMG! I just actually watched that vid. How fucking offensive it is. The British saw themselves as "liberators"? Spreading "freedom" every where they went?! Are you fucking kidding me?!

Britain, along with the US, defended the ideals of liberty and freedom in 2 World Wars? Was this while Britain were ruling over India and the US treated black people like 2nd class citizens? Hell the US was quite cozy with the ideals of Nazism and white supremacy until Hitler gave it a bad name. Churchill was a massive anti-Semite and racist who put people into concentration camps and unleashed the Black and Tans on the Irish. It's hypocritical to praise him as a champion of freedom.

And do we need to mention the genocides from America to Australia?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.