Yet more problematic stuff

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:42 pm
I reacted to your use of house negro because it bothers me. If you can't imagine why and must resort to thinking I'm picking on you that's unfortunate. But I would remind you that I expressed an understanding of your feelings, only stopping short of apologizing because I can't stand your need to establish yourself as an authority in our discussions e.g. I've read the books, I've literally never heard that connotation, fine, maybe on the playground, I expect people to know the meaning of words, quote mine, quote mine!

---christ, and now I'm the guy scoring points? :hehe:
Oh, ffs, telling you where I learned a certain term from isn't an attempt to establish myself as an authority. You misunderstood something that I said because you had an incorrect definition so I attempted to explain where that term comes from. It is a term that goes back to the time of slavery and has a use other than as a simple insult against a black guy trying to act white. Trying to explain that is not an attempt to establish myself as an authority. :fp:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 pm

But I wasn't unfamiliar, nor did I misunderstand you.

Look, if you can't see how you come across there's nothing I can do. I'd just encourage you to consider why it's me who understood your position, rather than the other way around, and whether that tends to be norm. :dunno:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm

I had nearly apologized for being unfair to you Seabass. My first thought watching Sowell's interviews with some white guy was christ, these old white fuckers are going to love this guy --and they do, and it's cringe to watch-- ...
I must have missed a similar statement from you about my position...

What I remember is a claim that the connotation I knew was common, you'd never heard of, literally, an attempt to show I quote mined an article to support the existence of a common connotation, the dismissal of sources as right-wing nutters, a begrudging acceptance of the connotation as something that might be heard --albeit primarily in schoolyards, yada, yada.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 pm
But I wasn't unfamiliar, nor did I misunderstand you.

Look, if you can't see how you come across there's nothing I can do. I'd just encourage you to consider why it's me who understood your position, rather than the other way around, and whether that tends to be norm. :dunno:
But you did misunderstand me:
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:26 pm
Referring to him as a house negro strikes me as particularly toxic. Why is a well educated black whose opinions differ from our own considered more white than black? That certainly seems like a cultural problem, like black means just this, and never that...
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 pm
Oh stop it. In common usage referring to a black as a house negro carries the connotation that he thinks he's white, or may pass himself off as such.
This is not at all what I meant. This is a clear misunderstanding. But that's fine, misunderstandings happen, so I provided you with a definition from wikipedia to explain what I meant, but that didn't satisfy you, did it. You just had to make hay out of it. Four pages of this shit and you still haven't said a goddamn thing in response to my actual criticisms of the two videos you posted.

But this is kind of a pattern with us, isn't it. I'll make a long post, make several points, but you'll pick out the weakest sentence and attack that and just ignore the rest.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm

I accept that you would like to use the word without the other connotation, just not that it's possible, and especially as used here i.e. to refer to a black political opponent. It simply carries that baggage with it. That's not a misunderstanding, it's a disagreement.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm

As for ignoring the rest, are you assuming I disagreed with them? I know I mentioned doubting Sowell actually supports evil empires etc, but perhaps he has missed something in his analysis of Asian culture for example. I don't know.

Like I said, you called him a house negro and it bothered me.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 pm

Anyway, we're talking about ourselves too much here. I don't think you're a racist, though in my angrier moments I might have suspected you of sowing discord in the land of the free -- :hehe: -- and I acknowledge giving you more grief than you deserve.

:cheers: --till the next time

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:18 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:08 pm
I think we are at least. We should be able to discuss this, and disagree, and still be charitable with each other.
We can't have discussions at rationalia. Time to ban Hayden.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
I accept that you would like to use the word without the other connotation, just not that it's possible, and especially as used here i.e. to refer to a black political opponent. It simply carries that baggage with it. That's not a misunderstanding, it's a disagreement.
No, it's a misunderstanding. I said something, and you took a meaning from it that was not intended. That is by definition a misunderstanding.

Now, you may have the opinion that I shouldn't use that particular phrase, but that is a separate issue entirely from whether or not you misinterpreted my statement.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:53 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm
As for ignoring the rest, are you assuming I disagreed with them? I know I mentioned doubting Sowell actually supports evil empires etc,
What I said was: "There's also the part where does apologetics for racist, genocidal European empires"
viewtopic.php?p=1919174#p1919174
Watch your second video again. According to woman, Sowell says that most of the places that have been colonized by European empires are better of for having been colonized. This is a pretty common refrain from white supremacists and European supremacists.

Sean Hayden wrote:
but perhaps he has missed something in his analysis of Asian culture for example. I don't know.
But I do know. He gave the standard racist narrative that says black people are lazy and Asians are industrious with the nebulous explanation "because of culture". It's horse shit. As I explained elsewhere, during the Civil Rights era, the US did away with its racist anti-Asian immigration laws and replaced them with immigration laws that favored educated and skilled workers.

Sean Hayden wrote:
Like I said, you called him a house negro and it bothered me.
Spare me the indignation. You get far more upset with me than you ever get with Cunt or Tyrannical. The only time you ever get agitated over racism is when you think I'm being racist against white people. Which is absurd, of course. In fact, you and Cunt are the only two people who have ever accused me of racism against white people. So you two have that in common. You two also seem to have a fondness for Thomas Sowell. Go figure.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:02 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 pm
Anyway, we're talking about ourselves too much here. I don't think you're a racist, though in my angrier moments I might have suspected you of sowing discord in the land of the free -- :hehe: -- and I acknowledge giving you more grief than you deserve.

:cheers: --till the next time
No, the ones sowing discord are the racists, not anti-racists. Do you understand the historical significance of the period that we're living in? We are currently living through the biggest racist backlash against the progress of black people and minorities in general since the Civil Rights era. MAGA is basically the latest iteration of the Confederacy. These racist backlashes tend to do a ton of damage to the country. I've tried to stop talking about racism, but frankly I just can't, given what this country is going through.

If you don't like me talking about racism, why not just put me on ignore?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Oh fuck you, the times I've given cunt shit far outnumber what I've given you. Ty is a joke and not worth the effort. I don't like Sowell, he presents another pov and in that sense is worth listening to.

You're an extremist and far less worth listening to.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Why should I have to demonstrate I've given the right people the right amount of grief anyway? That's typical extremist behavior.

--//--

For anyone interested a quick search will show that it's a lie anyway. I think the most recent disagreement about race between cunt and myself was regarding his misuse of stats to argue blacks are overrepresented in prison because they commit more crimes. While true, the disparity is not entirely accounted for by this fact. A not insignificant number is left unexplained.

You'll find many other examples, in case my membership to the right group remains in doubt.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm
You're an extremist and far less worth listening to.
BLM & the Black Civil Rights movement were called extremists by some. And by 'some' I mean racists and right-wingers.

There's nothing extremist about my views. You've just got a really bad case of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_defensiveness

Anyway, if I'm "far less worth listening to", then use the ignore feature. It's there for a reason. I'm probably not going to stop talking about racism.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:27 pm

I don't care if you talk about racism. I also talk about it. I'll note that given the opportunity to appreciate a more open approach, you choose to stay closed off and throw mud. I don't know why, but it seems to be the norm.