Yet more problematic stuff

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 am

Joe wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:30 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:56 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:48 pm
literalists are by definition, taking up the bible literally.
people to take the babble figuratively are, by definition, not literalists.
Indeed, I know that. You know that. But the people who call themselves literalists, in fact, don't take the Bible literally literally - they take the bible figuratively literally.

It's kind of like when someone, in a secular context, says that "he literally dropped a bomb at the party last night..." The person didn't literally drop a bomb -- the person isn't using the word literally literally. what they really mean is that it's "really really" something that happened - it's more of an emphasis.

Biblical literalists don't mean that a person really is made of salt, when he is salt of the Earth. What they mean is that the words in the Bible are really, really true - God breathed words - and there is no way they are not "true." Again, they confuse "literal" and "true."
Do you have any evidence to support this assertion? Something along these lines maybe?

Almost 1 in 4 is a significant number, even if the trend is hopeful.
My post had nothing to do with whether people who say they believe the bible is "literally" true constitute a majority or a minority or any given portion of the total.

Can you explain why you think your post rebuts mine? This is important - because my post is not unclear - it relates not to the percentage of believers who are literalists. It has to do with what most idiot god botherers who claim to be literalists actually believe. People who say the Bible is cover to cover the "literal" truth, quite simply, CANNOT be using that word properly. One cannot read the Song of Solomon literally - it's fucking poetry. Like - "How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves." -- If someone were really taking that "literally" then the beautiful women would have actual birds for eyes. That would be literal. But it's not literal. It's figurative.

The import of that is that a person who says they think the Bible is LITERALLY true, but reads that and understands that the woman's eyes are not birds, MUST (a) be stupid, and think that the idea of a beatiful woman's eyes being doves is "literal," or (b) must think of "literal truth" as meaning something different.

In my experience, most people will say that, of course the woman's eyes aren't literally doves, but they still take the bible as the literal word of god.

It's one of those things that is unexplainable - where people are emotionally driven to a given side or point of view - it doesn't matter of there are metaphors, and similes, allusions and allegories, parables and and sayings and poems all over the Bible - all those literary devices are somehow "literally true."

I guess with their god, everything is possible.

It's interesting to contemplate, I think. Because they really do have that feature -- like a child who can both believe in Santa Clause, and know he's not really really. He's real, but not really real. That kind of thing. People are fucked up.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:07 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 am
Joe wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
Indeed, I know that. You know that. But the people who call themselves literalists, in fact, don't take the Bible literally literally - they take the bible figuratively literally.

It's kind of like when someone, in a secular context, says that "he literally dropped a bomb at the party last night..." The person didn't literally drop a bomb -- the person isn't using the word literally literally. what they really mean is that it's "really really" something that happened - it's more of an emphasis.

Biblical literalists don't mean that a person really is made of salt, when he is salt of the Earth. What they mean is that the words in the Bible are really, really true - God breathed words - and there is no way they are not "true." Again, they confuse "literal" and "true."
Do you have any evidence to support this assertion? Something along these lines maybe?

My post had nothing to do with whether people who say they believe the bible is "literally" true constitute a majority or a minority or any given portion of the total.

Can you explain why you think your post rebuts mine? This is important - because my post is not unclear - it relates not to the percentage of believers who are literalists. It has to do with what most idiot god botherers who claim to be literalists actually believe. People who say the Bible is cover to cover the "literal" truth, quite simply, CANNOT be using that word properly. One cannot read the Song of Solomon literally - it's fucking poetry. Like - "How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves." -- If someone were really taking that "literally" then the beautiful women would have actual birds for eyes. That would be literal. But it's not literal. It's figurative.

The import of that is that a person who says they think the Bible is LITERALLY true, but reads that and understands that the woman's eyes are not birds, MUST (a) be stupid, and think that the idea of a beatiful woman's eyes being doves is "literal," or (b) must think of "literal truth" as meaning something different.

In my experience, most people will say that, of course the woman's eyes aren't literally doves, but they still take the bible as the literal word of god.

It's one of those things that is unexplainable - where people are emotionally driven to a given side or point of view - it doesn't matter of there are metaphors, and similes, allusions and allegories, parables and and sayings and poems all over the Bible - all those literary devices are somehow "literally true."

I guess with their god, everything is possible.

It's interesting to contemplate, I think. Because they really do have that feature -- like a child who can both believe in Santa Clause, and know he's not really really. He's real, but not really real. That kind of thing. People are fucked up.
My post doesn't rebut yours, it illustrates what I'm asking for - evidence to support an assertion. You made a sweeping claim about 24% of the US population - that they "CANNOT" believe the bible is the literal truth - based on what exactly?

Faith?

Because we both know argument from incredulity is fallacious reasoning, right?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:21 am

Dang. And there was I hoping we'd find what it actually means for someone to take the Bible 'figuratively literally'. Now we'll never know.

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:30 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:21 am
Dang. And there was I hoping we'd find what it actually means for someone to take the Bible 'figuratively literally'. Now we'll never know.

Maybe it's like "fresh frozen"? :ask:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 am

Brian Peacock wrote:

I guess we'll have to seek the answer in prayer... :demon:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 am

Whether they take every single sentence as literal does not matter, because they take a significant chunk of fantasy as reality, particularly the whole creation 6000 years ago nonsense...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 am

Even more of 'em buy into the whole savior schtick.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 am

3:16

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:34 am

We could look at what biblical literalists themselves say, I suppose.
Biblical literalism is the method of interpreting Scripture that holds that, except in places where the text is obviously allegorical, poetic, or figurative, it should be taken literally. Biblical literalism is the position of most evangelicals and Christian fundamentalists. ...

Biblical literalism goes hand-in-hand with regarding the Word of God as inerrant and inspired. If we believe in the doctrine of biblical inspiration—that the books of the Bible were written by men under the influence of the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16–17; 2 Peter 1:20–21) to the extent that everything they wrote was exactly what God wanted to say—then a belief in biblical literalism is simply an acknowledgement that God wants to communicate to us via human language. The rules of human language then become the rules of interpreting Scripture. Words have objective meaning, and God has spoken through words.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 am

You mean define the terms we're using?

Blasphemy! :biggrin:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:26 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 am
Joe wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

Can you explain why you think your post rebuts mine? This is important - because my post is not unclear - it relates not to the percentage of believers who are literalists. It has to do with what most idiot god botherers who claim to be literalists actually believe.

Ahh the no-true-bible-literalist fallacy..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:47 am

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am
rainbow wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:05 am
Svartalf wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:44 pm
rainbow wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:43 am
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm

I am not conservative or right wing - I'm classical liberal and tend to the libertarian - and I am liberal on most issues.
Drivel. Liberal implies a tolerance of other views and creeds. That includes Islam.

It is really a twatty thing to do to contradict oneself.
Camille Desmoulins, a famous revolutionary, once said "there must be no freedom for the foes of freedom". Islam, especially in its modern, totalitarian forms, will not grant others the tolerance that liberal thinkers normally grant those of diverging opinions, ergo, it must be expunged rather than tolerated.
I've enjoyed a number of meals with Muslim friends where I've enjoyed a glass of good red wine. So far I've not been beheaded for doing so.
maybe muslims are less fanatical where they are not a minority? because in the West, where their cuntcuLture is not an integral part of the local history, they are a lot more severe on sharia and its application, and demanding it be included in the Law of the Land... me, I'd cast the whole lot back to the other side of the Mediterranean, and check every one's situation case by case if they try to come back.
Go to Morocco, majority Muslim and not that fanatical.
They have few extremists.
French influence I suppose?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 am

Indonesian Muslims are the best Muslims (because they were a Dutch colony). :prof:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:33 am

Joe wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 am
Brian Peacock wrote:

I guess we'll have to seek the answer in prayer... :demon:
actually, prayer, as a form of meditation, can have its uses... it's calming and I used to do it to help with my asthma fits back when I was not taking an efficient medical treatment.. did not really work on the very worst fits though, but moderated some of them, and that was heaven.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 am

rainbow wrote:Go to Morocco, majority Muslim and not that fanatical.
They have few extremists.
French influence I suppose?
Here the most fanatical are those from the Rift Valley in the North. The rest are very easy going. I had a good drinking mate in Utrecht who was a Moroccan but from the south. They despised the people from the North. Just takers not workers.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".