Yet more problematic stuff

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:12 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:55 am
Yeah. That seems a bit of a leap. But then again, at the level of society, we seem to have systems which actively resent those who have a meaningful life or who do real, meaningful work - like public/civil service workers for example - and a system that seem to act aggressively towards them. A case can be made that this is detrimental to the general well-being of society, which is the same society in which the resentful aggressors also live. Therefore those who feel a drive to exert a limiting control over others, to visibly socially defeat others, or even to make others suffer emotionally/physically, are ultimately working against there own intrests - making these kinds of behaviours a pernicious form of self harm. Self harm is the embodiment of individual suffering, and the ultimate act of self harm is suicide. So if you're driven towards your own annihilation && you're a malignant narcissists, then you're probably going to want everyone to take the trip to oblivion with you - it's just that everyone else has to suffer more than you along the way.

We'll, it's a hypothesis I guess.

Yeah but you're a commie, to you everything's a capitalism. :biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:38 pm

Alright goddammit! I admit it! I'm a bit of a commie!

But isn't Capitalism the current justifying ideology of Power - Power being those forces which design, operate, and enforce social and economic systems in their own interests, and do so within a context where the end-game of Power is planetary death? Power, through Capitalism, is wilfully hurtling towards its own annihilate, and taking us along for the ride. Seems like a death wish to me.

So the question is, do Capitalists suffer under Capitalism, and if so are they trying to eradicate their suffering by seeking the cold oblivion of the void?

When a Capitalist looks into that abyss, does the abyss also look back into them? :)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:37 pm

‘Dangerous misogynist’ Andrew Tate booted from Instagram and Facebook
Controversial online influencer and self-described misogynist Andrew Tate has been banned from Meta platforms Instagram and Facebook.

The former kickboxer and reality TV star was removed for violating Meta policies “on dangerous organizations and individuals”, the company confirmed by email.

Tate did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Tate first rose to prominence after appearing on the TV show Big Brother in 2016, when he was removed from the series after a video of him beating a woman outside the show surfaced.

Since then, he has garnered backlash for his posts across social media, which domestic abuse charities have called “extreme misogyny”. He stated on Twitter in 2017 that women belong in the home and that rape victims “bear responsibility” for their attack, after which Twitter permanently banned him from the platform.

Tate has grown a following for his advice videos to men, many of veering into sexist territory. On one YouTube video, Tate described himself as “absolutely a misogynist”. He said: “I’m a realist and when you’re a realist you’re sexist. There’s no way you can be rooted in reality and not be sexist.” ...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 pm

I've heard my kids mention his name recently. Can't remember what they said about him, though. I'm pretty sure my daughter bagged him. Hopefully my son wasn't taking in by his stuff. But he'll still be on tiktok, so will still be accessible to kids.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:25 am

Another guy desperate to please his dead, overbearing father. All that so-called 'big dick energy' is really just 'small boy syndrome'.

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:27 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:38 pm
When a Capitalist looks into that abyss, does the abyss also look back into them? :)
Capitalism is dead, killed by Corporatism.

The Capitalist at least owns the Means of Production. The Corporatist does not own the Corporation but thrives by taking it to the Abyss, then moving on the the next cushy job.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Corporatism is the natural extension of capitalism.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:37 am

Some would focus on this story for its 'political correctness gone mad/woke tyranny' facet. The author of the article makes the point that it's mainly problematic because of the college administration's assault on academic freedom, and the larger issue of the chilling effect on adjunct instructors employed on an at-will basis.

'A Teacher Showed Islamic Art Depicting Muhammad to College Students, and Lost Her Job'
In November, an adjunct art history instructor was fired from Hamline University, a private liberal arts college in Minnesota. The month before, during an online lecture on Islamic art in the instructor’s survey of art history, she had displayed depictions of the Prophet Muhammad, which is strictly forbidden for many practicing Muslims.

While Hamline decided that the classroom exercise constituted a fireable Islamophobic offense, the images—devotional paintings of Muhammad produced by Muslim artists in the 14th and 16th centuries, respectively—were brought up in an educational context with fastidious attention taken to the sensitivity of the content.

That considered, the termination represents an administrative intrusion on the instructor’s academic freedom—ostensibly in the name of fostering the best educational environment for students—and exemplifies the precarity endemic to a higher education system ever reliant on at-will, casual labor.

... this fiasco unfolded within an industry that has seen the evaporation of tenure-track jobs and a vast shift toward casualization—all while tuition costs balloon, in no small part to accommodate schools’ ever-growing administrative bureaucracies.

The fired art teacher belonged to what has become a precarious majority in academia: adjunct instructors, employed on contingent contracts that can be terminated at the whims of their employers. Opposite this growing cohort has emerged increasingly top-down administrative apparatuses that too often consist of officials distant from the classroom, who nevertheless enjoy great (unilateral, in this case) authority over it.

The instructor’s adjunct status afforded Hamline’s administration the ability to infringe on her freedom to teach, and unilaterally deny her due process amid an unceremonious dismissal—a testament to the fact that academic freedom and academics’ job security are inextricably linked. Adjuncts’ disposability hinders their freedom to bring up controversial subjects in their classrooms.

The Hamline affair will inevitably prick the ears of all sorts of reactionaries, including true Islamophobes. Contrary to what you may hear from these alarmists, what happened at Hamline does not represent sharia law coming to American universities.

This sort of story—in which administrators, illiterate in the relevant scholarship, can smear and terminate an adjunct, and betray their institution’s professed commitment to academic freedom—is simply one to be expected out of our deeply casualized academy.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 am

The tender sensibilities of god-botherers of all stripes must be protected. :hehe:
'Demi Lovato UK poster "likely to cause serious offence to Christians" – ASA'
A poster promoting US singer Demi Lovato’s new album in the UK was likely to cause serious offence for linking sexuality to the crucifix and crucifixion, the advertising regulator has ruled.

The poster, seen in multiple sites across London in August, featured an image of the album cover showing Lovato bound in a bondage-style outfit while lying on a large, cushioned crucifix.

The headline stated ‘DEMI LOVATO’ and ‘HOLY FVCK’ – the name of the album.

The poster attracted four complaints that it was likely to cause serious or widespread offence and was irresponsibly placed where children could see it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:39 am

Absolute banging album though.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:51 am

Andrew Tate will remain in police custody for the full 30 days pending a criminal investigation for human trafficking, a Romanian court has ruled late.

The controversial former kickboxer, influencer and self-professed misogynist, his brother Tristan and two Romanian female suspects were detained by Romanian anti-organised crime prosecutors on 29 December on charges of forming an organised crime group to sexually exploit six women.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... in-romania
Guess Romanians didn't take well to TikTok's top misogynist constantly bragging about how he moved to the country because of its lax laws on sexual assault.

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:39 pm

This is from late last year. Still of interest I think.

'Homeland Security Admits It Tried to Manufacture Fake Terrorists for Trump'
The DHS report offers a full accounting of the intelligence activities happening behind the scenes of officers’ protest containment; “twisted efforts,” [Senator] Wyden said, of Trump administration officials promoting “baseless conspiracy theories” to manufacture of a domestic terrorist threat for the president’s “political gain.” The report describes the dossiers generated by DHS as having detailed the past whereabouts and the “friends and followers of the subjects, as well as their interests” — up to and including “First Amendment speech activity.” Intelligence analysts had internally raised concerns about the decision to accuse anyone caught in the streets by default of being an “anarchist extremist” specifically because “sufficient facts” were never found “to support such a characterization.”

One field operations analyst told interviewers that the charts were hastily “thrown together,” adding they “didn’t even know why some of the people were arrested.” In some cases, it was unclear whether the arrests were made by police or by one of the several federal agencies on the ground. The analysts were never provided arrest affidavits or paperwork, a witness told investigators, adding that they “just worked off the assumption that everyone on the list was arrested.” Lawyers who reviewed 43 of the dossiers found it “concerning,” the report says, that 13 of them stemmed from “nonviolent crimes.” These included trespassing, though it was unclear to analysts and investigators whether the cases had “any relationship to federal property,” the report says.

A footnote in the report states that “at least one witness” told investigators that dossiers had been requested on people who were “not arrested” but merely accused of threats. Another, citing emails exchanged between top intelligence officials, states dossiers were created “on persons arrested having nothing to do with homeland security or threats to officers.”

Fears of political toadies occupying key intelligence roles had been aired publicly by former intelligence community members during the Trump administration’s early years, but their concerns were all but ignored by Senate Republicans during confirmation hearings that would ultimately inflict serious reputational damage on a number of agencies that, for their own survival, had long avoided partisan leanings.

The report is based on interviews with approximately 80 employees conducted by attorneys drawn from various agency components, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Coast Guard. The investigation began in response to leaks of internal DHS emails in July 2020 that prompted questions from lawmakers about potential intelligence abuses, including the monitoring of journalists’ activities online and the liberal application of terrorism-related language to describe Americans engaged in protest.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:29 pm

In keeping with the theme of 'problematic' academia developed by the OP, but not the way he would like, I think.

'In Black Professor’s Firing, AAUP Finds "Racist Tropes"'
The American Association of University Professors is condemning Indiana University Northwest for firing a tenured Black professor after alleging he said “words to the effect that ‘the only way to end racism is to kill all the white people.’”

A new AAUP report calls “implausible” the allegation that the professor “actually threatened to hurt white people,” noting one person it interviewed who called his manner “mild and soothing.”

The AAUP released an investigative report today, citing interviews of nine current and former IU employees it conducted, atop a previous investigation done by IUN’s Faculty Board of Review.

“The [AAUP] committee cannot help drawing the sad conclusion that, if Professor McPhail had not questioned the racism on campus and at IU, he might have been spared, at least temporarily, from becoming a target of it,” the report says.

“The racial climate at IUN appears to be unwelcoming to faculty members of color,” the report says. “In Professor McPhail’s case, it appeared to have been downright hostile, as evidenced by the presence of racist tropes of incompetent, angry and physically violent Black men in the language used to justify his dismissal.”

The report says IUN cited IU’s whistle-blower policy to decline “to identify the individuals who allegedly reported that Professor McPhail had made threats of violence, leaving Professor McPhail to bear the additional burden of refuting the claims of anonymous accusers.”

One professor did tell the Faculty Board of Review that he spoke with McPhail after his suspension and then contacted the university administration because he was concerned “McPhail was distraught and in need of support,” the AAUP wrote.

Parts of the AAUP report say it’s directly quoting from the faculty board’s earlier report.

In one such section, this professor said “he had discussed the history of racism in the U.S. with McPhail” and McPhail said, “if indigenous people had killed all the early white settlers, racism would not have established itself in the Americas.”

This section states that the professor said he mentioned “McPhail’s view” to an administrator “to impress upon her how deeply McPhail felt about systemic racism in the U.S.,” i.e., it was not to say McPhail was threatening.

“The [AAUP] committee is not aware of a single person who spoke directly with Professor McPhail after he received notice of suspension who stated that he posed a threat,” the report says. “Only two IUN administrators, both of whom received their information secondhand and one of whom had a fraught relationship with Professor McPhail, according to the [Faculty Board of Review], interpreted his speech to be violent and threatening.”

The report says Cynthia Roberts, dean of IUN’s School of Business and Economics, told the faculty board a different story about what the above-mentioned professor told her. She said the professor told her he was concerned McPhail’s “state of mind could lead to ‘harm to self or others’” and told her that “McPhail had said that the solution to racism is to kill all white people.”

The AAUP wrote that David Klamen, the dean over McPhail, “reported that a university attorney had advised him that there was a ‘serious threat against him and that therefore he should stay away from campus, leave his home, move to a hotel and temporarily relocate his family as well.’ He also reported that the IUN police chief had twice contacted him and provided safety advice.”

McPhail says he complained to IUN in 2018 that Klamen was appointed without a search. He has alleged his pretermination suspension was actually “in retaliation for his complaints about Klamen’s appointment and his complaints about racial discrimination and [earlier alleged] retaliation,” according to his lawsuit.

IUN had 3,460 students as of fall 2021. Of the roughly 3,060 undergraduates, 48 percent were white and 16 percent were Black. About 78 percent of Gary residents are Black.

“Many of the anonymous interviewees discussed the tense racial climate on campus and named numerous faculty members and administrators of color who had left IUN or were ‘driven out,’” the report says.

“Fighting hostile work environments while serving as ‘tokens’ on administrative ‘leadership cabinets’ without any ability to effect meaningful change would understandably take a deep toll on faculty members of color,” it says.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:10 pm

It's a story old as time - regrettably. The problem can't possibly be with the institution, therefore it must be with the person raising it, therefore they are the problem and they are at fault - and if that's hard to prove just make something up and spread it 'off the record' until it becomes common knowledge and then can be entered 'on the record'. It's an awful lot of work. Possibly more work to maintain the dysfunctional system that to develop news ways of doing things. But if you've got power and lack ideas the old system is probably fine for you as it is.

Grrr!

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:46 pm

Ohio interferes with parents trying to raise nazis:
The emergence of the group has led to calls for a revision of the way Ohio oversees homeschooling. Huffpost reported that parents planning to homeschool must submit “a brief outline of the intended curriculum” and a “list of teaching materials” to the local public school superintendent.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -condemned
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...