Yet more problematic stuff

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 am

Tero wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:46 pm
Ohio interferes with parents trying to raise nazis:
The emergence of the group has led to calls for a revision of the way Ohio oversees homeschooling. Huffpost reported that parents planning to homeschool must submit “a brief outline of the intended curriculum” and a “list of teaching materials” to the local public school superintendent.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -condemned
Welp. From that source:
But even in states with these types of requirements, there’s little to no enforcement mechanism to ensure that parents are actually teaching the curriculum they submitted to the superintendent.
If they want to raise up a batch of little blackshirts, the state is not going to have much say in the matter as long as they are minimally competent. In fact, I would not be surprised if somebody came up with a ready-made Potemkin village curriculum for the home-schooler who is securing a future for white children.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:16 am

“if indigenous people had killed all the early white settlers, racism would not have established itself in the Americas.”
Probably would have made things worse. Too many resources for the Europeans to ignore the continent. The Spanish had already established the modus operandi with the destruction of the Incan Empire. If the early English settlers had been massacred, eventually the military would come en masse, kill everyone they saw, co-opt or kill tribal leaders, and enslave the surviving population, ala The Jewel in the Crown of the British Empire. Strap a few buggers across the barrels of cannon, they'll soon be singing a different tune, By Jove!

I've always been fascinated by the Spanish conquest of the Inca, how a handful of smelly, flea-ridden Spaniards destroyed an Empire, basically with Guns, Germs, and Steel. The technologically inferior native Americans were doomed from the start, the experience of centuries of vicious European warfare ensured it.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am

Racism has been and is established everywhere powerful people want the stuff of less powerful people. Dehumanising Them is necessary to make Us think that doing That Thing we'd hate to be done to Us is actually a good thing to do to Them.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:45 am

At least the future looks to be the exploitation of robots. Might give the rest of us some relief from exploitation.

Nah, who am I kidding?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:01 pm

I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our oppressed and exploited robot sisters, brothers and others.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:31 pm

I, for one, welcome our new silicon masters!

Tough to be worse than our current crop.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:37 pm

The right is firmly on the side of free speech, as our clear-eyed absent 'leftie' is so fond of pointing out. Book bans, literal bans on speech in classrooms, it's all done to enhance free speech, if you look at it the right way.

'District sued over axing of student paper after LGBTQ issue'
A former high school journalist and the Nebraska High School Press Association sued Friday over a school district’s shutdown of the school newspaper after it published an LGBTQ-focused edition.

The federal lawsuit claims Grand Island Northwest Public Schools and its superintendent violated the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment in May when it closed the Viking Saga newspaper at Grand Island Northwest High School, which has about 700 students. The district later agreed to bring the newspaper back in digital form.

Saga newspaper staff were informed of the newspaper’s elimination three days after printing of the June edition, which included an article titled, “Pride and prejudice: LGBTQIA+,” on the origins of Pride Month and the history of homophobia. It also included an editorial opposing a Florida law, dubbed by critics as “Don’t Say Gay,” that bans some lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity and

A May 22 email from a school employee canceling the paper’s printing services said it was “because the school board and superintendent are unhappy with the last issue’s editorial content.” Some school board members publicly stated their objection to the Saga’s LGBTQ content.

The lawsuit also states that Pennell, who is transgender, was told in March 2022 that he and others could use only names assigned to them at birth in their bylines and that they could not list their pronouns.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:44 pm

Involvement in LGBQ Activism is Related to Pathological Narcissistic Grandiosity and Virtue Signaling
Abstract

The dark-ego-vehicle principle (DEVP) states that individuals with dark personalities (e.g., narcissistic individuals) are attracted to types of political activism that they can repurpose for satisfying their ego-focused needs (e.g., being perceived as virtuously outstanding). In the current pre-registered study, we investigated whether the DEVP is valid for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer (LGBQ) activism. A diverse US sample (N = 446) completed measures of involvement in LGBQ activism, pathological narcissism, altruism, virtue signaling, dominance, and the Dark Tetrad. In support of the DEVP, we found that higher pathological narcissistic grandiosity and more pronounced virtue signaling were related to greater involvement in LGBQ activism. Through exploratory analyses, we also found that even psychopathy may play a role with regard to involvement in LGBQ activism. Responding to feedback on our study, we supplemented the original data collection with a pre-registered follow-up measurement of involvement in LGBQ activism 14–15 weeks later. Repeating the analyses using this new data did not change the findings.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=4204911

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:55 pm

That was an easy one, considering the previous studies that indicated narcissism is related to political activism.
Relying on three studies in the United States and Denmark, two nationally representative, we find that those scoring higher in narcissism, as measured by the Narcissistic Personality Inventory–40 (NPI-40), participate more in politics, including contacting politicians, signing petitions, joining demonstrations, donating money, and voting in midterm elections.
And ...

'Dark-ego-vehicle principle: Narcissism as a predictor of anti-sexual assault activism'
The results of the multiple regression analysis showed that higher narcissistic traits predicted an individual’s higher involvement in anti-sexual assault activism over and above the covariates. However, this relationship was evident only for the women in this sample. Notably, a higher level of altruism in an individual was also substantially associated with higher involvement in anti-sexual assault activism. We discuss how the narcissism-by-gender interaction may be in line with the dark-ego-vehicle principle.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:09 pm

—there’s no escape! :hairfire:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:22 pm

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 pm

That was interesting. There's not enough of a spread across the top 4 to be meaningful.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:34 pm

Yet another blow to freedum of speech as the chief white knight of terfism is rejected by a comedy venue...
An arts venue in Edinburgh has cancelled an event featuring the gender-critical scriptwriter Graham Linehan after complaints from customers.

Leith Arches, which often hosts queer and drag events, wrote on Instagram that it had cancelled a comedy listing where Linehan was due to appear on Thursday evening.

In a post on Tuesday, the venue said: “We are an inclusive venue and this does not align with our overall values.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... complaints

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:04 am

Sorry, but this sort of gender argy-bargy seems to me like medieval theologians arguing about how many angels will fit on the end of a pin...

Many more serious issues than some academics expressing views about gender; the actual real oppression of non-hetero people all over the world, frequently violent and nasty...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:08 am

Hands of different colors clasped in friendship? Outrageous woke indoctrination!

'Newest "anti-woke" tantrum: Right-wingers don't think kids of different races can be friends'
Considering how rapidly the right's "war on woke" is expanding, it was perhaps inevitable: Self-identified "mama bears" on a Texas school board are angry that a classroom had a poster showing people of different races holding hands. Last week, the school board in Conroe, Texas, a small city north of Houston, turned the right-wing mania for censorship into a dark parody of itself. At issue? A poster that seemed to imply that interracial friendship is possible.

According to ABC 13 Eyewitness News in Houston, things started when school trustee Melissa Dungan declared that she had spoken to parents who were upset about "displays of personal ideologies in classrooms." When pressed for an example, according to the news report, "Dungan referred to a first grade student whose parent claimed they were so upset by a poster showing hands of people of different races, that they transferred classrooms."

"I wish I was shocked," Dungan said of the poster. "I am aware these trends have been happening for many years."

Some other members of the school board did, in fact, argue that there was nothing objectionable about such a poster. But Dungan was backed up by another trustee, Misty Odenweller, who insisted that the depiction of uh, race-mixing was in some way a "violation of the law." The two women are part of "Mama Bears Rising," a secretive far-right group fueling the book-banning mania in Conroe and the surrounding area. At least 59 books have been banned due to their efforts.

When another trustee asked Dungan if she personally objected to an illustration of cross-racial friendship, she demurred, simply declaring that she was just trying to avoid "situations like that." Situations like what, exactly? She didn't say. Dungan's behavior is a perfect illustration of the "anti-woke" tap dance. The person alleging nefarious wokeness never admits to their own bigotry, instead pretending that they're reacting to "woke" people who are "pushing" an agenda, in this case through innocuous poster art. Of course, the entire premise of the argument is rooted in bigotry, as this example shows. It presumes that the feelings of real or imagined bigots who might take umbrage at such an image are of paramount importance, and that everyone else's freedoms must be curtailed to appease them.