Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:35 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:09 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:37 am
PsychoSerenity wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 am
Remind me to reply to this sometime...
Will do, but you need to remind me to remind you. ;)
That's cos you don't have free will... :tea:
Not something I can be held responsible for.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Re: As for Harris: this free will stuff

Post by DRSB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:55 am
When it comes to personal responsibility, does it matter that the schoolboy who was caught stealing will go on to have life experiences that might change a great many things about him? Surely his actions at the time of the theft, and the consequences thereof, are what's important here? Who might be holding the retiree accountable for the actions of the schoolboy?
Remind me to reply to this sometime when I'm not busy procrastinating at gone midnight. I think it's fascinating but it'll take me ages to get my thoughts coherent and written down.
What if the person just simulated? Don't people fake things, why not a bank robbery? Someone produces the outward signs of a robbery but says, not, I was not robbing, I just simulated, there is no content there. (This example is from Jean Baudrillard).
Point being: behaviour is fakable. Do you punish people for presenting a hollow front? Are there always consequences?