Should US Style Capitalism Be Declared A Criminal Ideology?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Should US Style Capitalism Be Declared A Criminal Ideology?

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Cunt wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 am
Don't pretend you are engaging honestly. The reason you ask so many inane questions is to make it nearly impossible to reply in a coherent fashion.

Listen to the scientists means listen to the scientific concensus as opposed to shock jocks and lobbyists. It's not a hard concept, and certainly not worth ten questions in reply. :roll:
My point was that the scientists disagree on what is more important.

Which scientists are 'right'?
In any given field, the disagreements are right at the edge of expanding knowledge, and are often fairly abstruse. Your banal comment does not change the fact that there is, on major environmental and climate issues, a strong and broad consensus of the vast majority of scientists working in the field. What they publish needs to be peer reviewed - if they make errors, they will be seen, and the consensus becomes stronger. It is clear that you have no idea about the actual practice of science.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm

My understanding is that most scientists think human activity is a driver of climate change, and that serious consequences are in the offing as a result. I do not understand there to be a consensus on the amount of future temperatures of the Earth, the melting of ice caps, or the rising of sea levels ,that kind of thing. There are too many varied models for that to be a consensus, and there have been too many incorrect predictions demonstrating that various models have failed or were inaccurate.

There is also no consensus of which I'm aware as to what the solution to climate change is. I subscribe to the technological solutions to climate change. Specifically, a massive increase in nuclear power being a good requirement, perhaps helped by as much solar and wind as is feasible, and technological cleaning methods which would capture carbon dioxide and pollutants via technological means and lock them in solid states or react them with other chemicals. I have no confidence in "carbon credit" and "carbon tax" schemes and strategies. They are marginal benefits, at best.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Cunt wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:50 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 am
About 35k annual income places you in the top 1% income range? I'd like to see a link for that figure.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/p ... -world.asp
Hermit wrote:

Until I see one I will remain convinced that you pulled a massively wrong figure out of your arse.

No way is JimC anywhere near the top 1%. He probably is not even in the top 20%.

In Australia your annual income needed to be more than $40k to make it into the top 20% in 2016, and if your income were $180k or higher, you made it into the top 4% in 2014.

JimC cannot be regarded as wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. He does live in relative comfort, though. After teaching maths and science full time continuously for 40 years it would seem odd if he did not.
Figures.

You only want to compare yourself to your wealthy neighbours. I am talking about the real 1%.
Figures. JimC was talking about those who influence the political process in the US. It's not people on average income. It's the 1% in the US that do that. Of course, you've been told this at least twice already, so we can only assume you are being disingenuous on purpose.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 am

Cunt wrote:
Hermit wrote:
About 35k annual income places you in the top 1% income range? I'd like to see a link for that figure.
"worldwide income disparities" :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 am

Hermit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 am
Cunt wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Yes, because we live in the world.

By being in the 1% worldwide, many corporations around the world come slurping at our disposable income. We have a lot more influence than those not in the 1%

Voters in the US have a pretty great effect. I mean, look at how much money (hollywood, most of mainstream media and facebook/twitter/google are examples) was spent to follow Obama with another Clinton and voters were able to have a different choice.

We the wealthiest in history have no business pretending the world is not our responsibility. Next you'll be telling me you can just pay a tax to fix all the pollution we are causing, rather than changing our polluting ways...
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:26 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:07 pm
Cunt wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 am
Don't pretend you are engaging honestly. The reason you ask so many inane questions is to make it nearly impossible to reply in a coherent fashion.

Listen to the scientists means listen to the scientific concensus as opposed to shock jocks and lobbyists. It's not a hard concept, and certainly not worth ten questions in reply. :roll:
My point was that the scientists disagree on what is more important.

Which scientists are 'right'?
In any given field, the disagreements are right at the edge of expanding knowledge, and are often fairly abstruse. Your banal comment does not change the fact that there is, on major environmental and climate issues, a strong and broad consensus of the vast majority of scientists working in the field. What they publish needs to be peer reviewed - if they make errors, they will be seen, and the consensus becomes stronger. It is clear that you have no idea about the actual practice of science.
Why not look at the example I showed you, JimC?

It's not that the scientists don't agree, it's that they aren't looking at the same elements of the problem.

Should pipelines be installed? Or should the oil be transported by rail/truck/wheelbarrow?

If you say that we shouldn't be reliant on oil, you may be right, but it won't change the immediate need for it.

So as I pointed out, some scientists insist that less oil is spent in transport, and less oil is spilled, by a pipeline than by other transport means. Other scientists insist that the environmental damage of installing the pipeline is greater than can be accounted for by those savings.

While neither is 'right', and neither is 'wrong', their conclusions don't come out the same.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:32 am

I notice you keep wilfully ignoring the point of the 1% argument. How dishonest can you be?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:29 am

Cunt wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 am
Hermit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 am
Cunt wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Yes, because we live in the world.
Worldwide income disparities become relevant to discussing poverty, wealth, the top 1% and stuff like that when we have a worldwide government.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:35 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 am
Cunt wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 am
Listen to the scientists.
Which ones?

I've seen scientists quoted in favour of pipelines, and against them. I just watch them argue, and see if any of them seem shifty and sketchy.

Which scientists should I listen to about the pipelines, pErvinalia? The ones who focus madly on any environmental risk? The ones who focus madly on the extra fuel (and pollution) expended in other methods of moving the oil around? What if they disagree? Should I follow a particular political party for the best answers? Who decides what 'best' means? The environmental scientist who doesn't want a pipeline? Or the environmental scientist who doesn't want the extra pollution from trucking the product?
How many questions can one man ask in a post?
Cmon, man. He’s seen stuff, he’s heard stuff and he’s watched stuff. Now you’re asking him to think about stuff. There are limits, man. Limits.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 pm

:hehe:
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:32 am
I notice you keep wilfully ignoring the point of the 1% argument. How dishonest can you be?
Not at all dishonest.

We ARE the 1%

If you aren't running the government, it is because you have abdicated your responsibility to others.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Not at all dishonest.

We ARE the 1%

If you aren't running the government, it is because you have abdicated your responsibility to others.
A very, very silly post. You ignore the real point about how the 1% top wealthy in countries like the US have a great deal of power over the political process, and the subversion of democracy that represents, and witter on about how we are all wealthy compared to the world's population as a whole. However true that may be, it is utterly irrelevant to the political debate on this issue, which you seem to be rather clueless about...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Cunt wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Not at all dishonest.

We ARE the 1%
For the nth time, in our body politic, we are not. Trump is disproportionately influenced by the 1% of US society, not those on middle incomes.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:01 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm
Cunt wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Not at all dishonest.

We ARE the 1%
For the nth time, in our body politic, we are not. Trump is disproportionately influenced by the 1% of US society, not those on middle incomes.
Yet he panders to the perception of the middle class - note the trucker caps.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm

"trucker caps"?