Even more problematic stuff

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 am

Some potentially problematic stuff going on in the first cricket Test in Adelaide today. Australia vs India and there's a group in the crowd wearing pith-like helmets.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

Yeah, it's tough to make it in the music world unless you're pretty.
Attachments
keef.jpg
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 am

laklak wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am
Yeah, it's tough to make it in the music world unless you're pretty.
Whoever that is, she isn't pretty enough to make it today.

Check out 'The Voice'. Not an uggo in sight.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 am

JimC wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 pm
I think that there is a serious distortion in popular music, particularly for female performers. There probably always was to an extent, but you don't seem to get Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell types anymore - it's all tits and bums...
Yep East Enders mentality has taken over vast areas of some societies.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:44 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 am
Some potentially problematic stuff going on in the first cricket Test in Adelaide today. Australia vs India and there's a group in the crowd wearing pith-like helmets.
They are probably just taking the pith. :rimshot:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 pm

JimC wrote:
I think that there is a serious distortion in popular music, particularly for female performers. There probably always was to an extent, but you don't seem to get Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell types anymore - it's all tits and bums...
adele.jpg
Adele
adele.jpg (16.89 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
I think one of the issues is not sexism. It's the kind of music/performances that are popular. Why were Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell - Janis Joplin - Patty Smith -- and a host of other classic rock and folk singers popular? Because they sang well, and their music was good - they were in a genre where they just got up on stage and performed their music.

Today, the top female performers are showpeople -- i.e. their performance is one that involves dancing, costumes, and other appearance-based aspects. There can't be an ugly Beyonce' because part of her show is about being attractive.

Now, if we leave pop music and go to rock -- which is currently on life-support and not looking good right now -- you have female artists who just get up and sing.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm
I wonder if they've considered that Beyonce looks great in her outfit and Ed looks like a slob in his.
They did, and that was the problem. Ed Sheeran is privileged because "we" allow - allow - him to "feel" as if it's "o.k." to dress like that, but women "have to" wear great outfits, like Beyonce'. LOL

It's tangential to the crisis that occurred over Zuckerberg wearing the same thing every day. Men get to do that. Women "have to" wear fancy clothes.

This is something that needs to be fixed. Men need to be made to feel that they cannot just wear whatever they want.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm
This is something that needs to be fixed. Men need to be made to feel that they cannot just wear whatever they want.
Clothing has no gender, so there must be something else happening to make so many people (who identify as women) piss away giant tubs of money on clothing which is labelled 'ladies'. I think it is because it is easier to exploit a group if they have money.

With women making most of the decisions about money, it only makes sense that more assholes would be upselling them garbage.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 pm
JimC wrote:
adele.jpg

I think one of the issues is not sexism. It's the kind of music/performances that are popular. Why were Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell - Janis Joplin - Patty Smith -- and a host of other classic rock and folk singers popular? Because they sang well, and their music was good - they were in a genre where they just got up on stage and performed their music.

Today, the top female performers are showpeople -- i.e. their performance is one that involves dancing, costumes, and other appearance-based aspects. There can't be an ugly Beyonce' because part of her show is about being attractive.

Now, if we leave pop music and go to rock -- which is currently on life-support and not looking good right now -- you have female artists who just get up and sing.
The simple point is that this fetish with music videos rather than the music itself has very different effects on female vs male musicians. There is little or no pressure on males to have a particular physical look, whereas it is obvious that there has been a form of natural selection for female musicians - the ones who can look very sexy survive, the others don't. So, it does involve sexism, if only unconscious...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 pm

What? Rock is on life support? I didn't know. Send it my best...

:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 pm

I know that's the conventional wisdom. I don't know that there is evidence for it. Celebrities of both sexes have pressures regarding appearance. You don't get to be a leading man in the movies without being good looking and fit, usually tall, etc. However, just as there are plenty of unattractive actresses out there, there are plenty of unattractive actors. The same goes for musicians. Some of the greatest female musicians have been homely. Look at one of my favorites ever - Janis Joplin - definitely not much of a looker, that one, but damn did she have pipes.

I think my point about the type of performances given stands - that where women tend to succeed by being hot is where performances are more visual arts performances than straight musical numbers or concerts. Lorde is average. Iggy Azalea is average. Lady Gaga is kinda homely, Adele got famous while very obese, Cher, Tina Turner, All the Judds (except Ashley), Pink, Amy Winehouse, Cyndi Lauper, Celine Dion, Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, Patti Smith, and the list goes on and on.

Generally, looks matter less when they are doing concerts without the performance art added on. Of course you have to be hot if half your show is about contorting naked. However, even Pink shows that's not necessary - she's short and stocky, with a rather average face. But, the reality is, Janis Joplin can be popular by singing. Madonna chose for part of her show to be bent over simulating getting it "Like a Virgin." Janis couldn't do Madonna's shows, and Madonna couldn't do Janis' shows.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 pm
What? Rock is on life support? I didn't know. Send it my best...

:smoke:
And in the present, the stats aren’t very encouraging for Rock n’ Roll. Spotify’s rankings are now dominated by Hip Hop, Pop, Latino, and EDM. And the biggest musical trend of the past decade belongs to EDM, the disco for the younger generation.

“Rock has hit a dead end. Just like jazz before it,” Bob Lefsetz recently observed. “Oh, rock will never die, but it won’t bloom again either.”
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/0 ... d-musexpo/
There’s tangible proof of what people are listening to right now, and rock 'n' roll ain’t it. I make this evaluation based on the Billboard Hot 100 and Spotify Global charts as both commercial evaluations of songs and indicators of cultural impact.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dannyross1 ... 4ad484dedd

With this politically correct, conservative to the max culture, bands could never get away with being rock n' roll anymore. Sure, there are some new bands coming out. But, Rock was neutered.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Nonsensical hyperbole. Jazz had it's day, but was superseded by Rhythm and Blues (as was called) or Rock 'n' Roll as it became, but Jazz has never gone away and is in rude health as a musical genre. I don't see why Rock should be pleading for special consideration in that way. Rock is so needy.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Punk's not dead, she's just gone to bed...
Last edited by pErvinalia on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm