Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm
they are charged with a duty to represent the interests of all citizens, not just those who voted for them.
Not all issues have a middle ground.

Sometimes, a whole bunch of people want something (like open borders) and a whole bunch of others want something directly opposed (secured borders)

When that happens, seeking the middle ground is ignoring at least one group.
Divesting a clause of its context is unhelpful, nor does it address the point being made. I was not talking about possible policy compromises but a principle upon which representative democracy operates. I would say that it is this principle which underpins everything to do with democracy as we understand it, a principle which holds that it is the electorate who choose their elected representatives, rather than the elected choosing their electorate. It is a principle worth defending and one that should not be compromised imo. Now, tell me again how people holding different views on a policy matter, like, say, border security, compromises this basic principle?

:pop:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
they are charged with a duty to represent the interests of all citizens, not just those who voted for them.

Sometimes, a whole bunch of people want something (like open borders) and a whole bunch of others want something directly opposed (secured borders)

What utter nonsense. Of course there can be a series of intermediate positions here, including a range of restrictions on border entry, from minimal to heavy.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:48 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm
Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

Divesting a clause of its context is unhelpful, nor does it address the point being made. I was not talking about possible policy compromises but a principle upon which representative democracy operates. I would say that it is this principle which underpins everything to do with democracy as we understand it, a principle which holds that it is the electorate who choose their elected representatives, rather than the elected choosing their electorate. It is a principle worth defending and one that should not be compromised imo. Now, tell me again how people holding different views on a policy matter, like, say, border security, compromises this basic principle?

It doesn't compromise it, that's not what I'm saying.

It ignores the losers, I guess.

Like how the democrats in the US lost their shit in the 2016 election, when they didn't get their way. There is no middle ground between Drumpf and Crooked Hillary. (well, there was that Sanders guy, but he was consumed or something)
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:48 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm
Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

It doesn't compromise it, that's not what I'm saying.
Then your point, such that it is, is indistinguishable from random babble. Why quote a post only to ignore any or all of the points made therein?
Cunt wrote:
It ignores the losers, I guess.
My point, such that it was, is that fixing the system--once you have gained power--against one's losing opponents is going a lot further than simply ignoring the wishes of those who didn't vote for you. What is being ignored though is the fact that many people vote for this-or-that party in spite of their disagreement with that party's policy proposals on a this-or-them matters. To vote Republican or Democrat is not to grant a license to Republicans or Democrats to do whatever they want is it?
Cunt wrote:
Like how the democrats in the US lost their shit in the 2016 election, when they didn't get their way. There is no middle ground between Drumpf and Crooked Hillary. (well, there was that Sanders guy, but he was consumed or something)
I'm going to give it one more go before writing you off as trolling. First you must divest the issue from any particular policy proposal or objective forwarded by any particular party.

The operation of a representative democracy must be ordered in such a way that it does not limit or favour the ideals or aims of one political group or another. Those duly elected become trustees of the common interest and derive their authority from the entire electoral body--and not just from those who voted for them--but only to the extent that they are, and can be, held accountable by the electorate. When one group, who have been duly elected by fair means, use the powers invested in them (primarily, but not exclusively, legislative) to instrumentally secure power for themselves or favour their own ideals and/or limit the political opportunity or participation of others, then they have violated this basic principle and are no longer truly accountable to the electorate - and concomitantly they should forfeit their right to exercise those powers.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 pm

You keep referring to cases where there is a middle ground.

How about the death penalty question? In Canada, they polled the populace, got an answer, and ignored the majority in favour of status quo.

Everyone who expressed their wishes is in the group 'voters', and more than half of them were ignored. No middle ground, no nuance, just rejected.

(by the way, I would vote against a death penalty, but that is really beside the point)

Of course they have to represent everyone, but they only have to gain some votes to be in power.

Where do you see the middle ground between deporting all illegal immigrants vs sanctuary cities. Those ARE extremes, but most people would come down on one side or the other.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 pm

How about the death penalty question? In Canada, they polled the populace, got an answer, and ignored the majority in favour of status quo.
When was this?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Cunt wrote:

When was this?
A few decades ago (late 80's I think)

The country responded with a 'kill the fuckers'. Canada chose to ignore the results of the poll.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 pm
BarnettNewman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Cunt wrote:

When was this?
A few decades ago (late 80's I think)

The country responded with a 'kill the fuckers'. Canada chose to ignore the results of the poll.
So some poll in the 80s. Ok.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Yes, is there something wrong with that example of government ignoring the wishes of their population?

Or of a clear decision, with no middle ground?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Yes, is there something wrong with that example of government ignoring the wishes of their population?

Or of a clear decision, with no middle ground?
It’s a wishy washy memory of something maybe happening almost 40 years ago. Pretty weak, but go you!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Maybe you could sort of kill them. Chop off some limbs or something.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I suppose the death penalty is fairly binary (you either have one or you don't), but even then there can be degrees of application. You could have the death penalty apply automatically to any convicted murderer, no special pleading allowed. Or you could have it available, but only used in the most extreme cases...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:14 pm

I don't have enough confidence in a jury to support the death penalty.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 pm

What cunt is failing to remember is that reinstating capital punishment would nullify any number of extradition treaties Canada has with other nations. Like Brexit, people don’t always understand the ramifications of their desires.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Me neither, though it's hard to argue that Ted Bundy didn't deserve it. Personally I'd rather they kill me quick than stick me in prison for life, particularly in some SuperMax hellhole. Plus it's expensive as shit to execute anyone, I read some stats that said it costs Florida at least $10,000,000 for all the appeals and whatnot for a single case. We've got 348 on death row as of last November, so that's a lot of money.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.