Even more problematic stuff

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Cunt » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Good points. I don't own a car and I haven't had the heating on for 8 years, or plugged the fridge in. Aside from footwear I've bought about 3 or 4 brand new items of clothing in the last 5 years, and I mostly cook seasonally, from fresh, and do all my food shopping locally on a day-to-day basis. In the great scheme of things, and against all the people who are not even thinking of doing even some of that, it counts for nothing - but it's a start and it's the kind of individual action that sparks conversations and discussions about what 'we' could, can, couldn't, might, and mightn't do ourselves. And like my vegetarianism, it's also partly to do with trying to live in a way that's consistent and compatible with my personal ethics.
That's awkward.

JimC put it better.

To paint an honest picture, especially by contrast to what you have described, I am a giant, fuel-guzzling machine. Thousand litres or more a year, just warming my house.

Gak.
Hang on a mo - am I supposed to be saving the planet all by myself? :D
Your mission, should you choose to accept it.

Can I just say that I appreciate the time you took to write this, and for showing us a bit of the real Cunt ;)
You're welcome.
The local government and the public's commitment to this public pre-sorting of refuse, while not solving the problem in itself, is at least a tangible, visible thing which directs people's attention towards recycling, plastic packaging, resource use, and the like..
Yeah, I resent that. Makes me uncomfortable for one nearly clear reason, too.
even if the profit motive tends towards corruption in a developing and poorly regulated sector:
When glass bottles are returned to the local bottle depot, the attendant gives the customer their money, and the bottle is smashed and deposited at the landfill.

I'm SURE something like that wouldn't have corruption just waiting in the shadows.
But at least some people are thinking about solutions, and we shouldn't necessarily be dismissed if they turn out to be a bit crap, eh?
That's EXACTLY what should happen. In the case of the roadways horseshit, they took government money. (not to mention the crowdfrauding/crowdfunding)

Development is a knotty ethical issue. How can we in all good faith start laying down the law to the developing world given our history and while we're sitting on our own massive dependence on hydro-carbons(?) But then again, economically and democratically speaking the West is in a far better position to lead by example than developing economies. We can also afford to take a bit of hit so that having a little bit less might mean developing nations can have quite a bit more and thus, with encouragement, be better able to implement the alternatives we are now turning to as they come along. We've gifted trillions to the financial sector to boost an maintain asset values that do little but suck money and resources out of the system - if we spent that on re-directing our infrastructure towards sustainability and giving others a leg up, well, we could finally begin to hold our heads up when the aliens arrive! :D
My understanding is that the west has not finished negotiating their claim on Sahtu lands, but I may be mistaken. Land claims are not easy to keep up on and I haven't been making an effort.
It is just one more complication.
A simple reform would be to simplify tax laws and cross-applicable exemptions by, say, calculating tax liability by a simple logarithmic scaled to earnings/profits. Perhaps..
  • y = 3x

... could be a good starting point, with income on the x axis, liability on the y, and where the relevant multiplier would remain a matter for policy but the third unit on the y axis would intersect the x axis at median earnings/profits. That would produce a truly progressive tax system at least. We can even ask Jim to help us refine the function before we write the proposal if you like - I think we can get him on board if we pay him in gin :D
You may be right, but 'simple' and 'logarithmic' together like that makes me think you are making fun of me.

JimC! Is he mocking me? Is that like telling a motorist they need a new giggling pin and johnson rod?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:52 am

The local government and the public's commitment to this public pre-sorting of refuse, while not solving the problem in itself, is at least a tangible, visible thing which directs people's attention towards recycling, plastic packaging, resource use, and the like..
Yeah, I resent that. Makes me uncomfortable for one nearly clear reason, too.
To expand on this a bit...
The weird thing that was bothering me was that they pick up all the litter from the Giant Mine site. It is the most contaminated site in Canada (with all our mining, that is QUITE an achievement) and if you ran by, you would think it a park.

There is enough mine waste in that site (a nasty arsenic) to create an ecological disaster of unprecedented proportions.

And the litter all gets picked up.

It's almost a kind of dishonesty.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Can I just say that I appreciate the time you took to write this, and for showing us a bit of the real Cunt ;)
I haven't seen any real cunt in long time... :sigh:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 am

While you live frugally Brian there are plenty who dont. Have you been to the massive housing estates in Edinburgh to see how things are there organised? Edinburgh always has been fine in the middle class areas but there is a vast part of city that is considerably lower on the social scale. They are all on the edge of the city (cant have the tourists seeing them) and poorly serviced by public transport. Transport in Edinburgh was always a mess since the trams were removed. I can still remember them. Tram 23 up the Mound was quite an experience. Thatcher made of course things far worse when everything was privatised and even today Princess Street is one mass of slow moving buses.

There was a very good suburban rail service that ran in the city but that was removed after pressure from the car lobby (a waste of money being the main argument).

The way the city handled the re-introduction of the tram was a total disaster.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Hey, I didn't say it was perfect :D nor am I that familiar with the city yet. I'm mostly noting the contrast between where I was in the soft South and here.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Brian, you don't plug in a refrigerator, and you don't have heat in your house? I guess if you live in a city, it's nice not to have a car, but no heat in the house?

Well, I've got two kids, so we have the refrigerator in the kitchen, and a back-up plugged in out in the garage.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Got one fridge in the kitchen, one in the garage, and a small one by the pool for beer. We don't use much heat, probably only had it on for a week or so last year, but the A/C runs the rest of the time.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Well, that's where I'm at - one fridge in the garage for overflow and beer. I don't have a pool, but our A/C is pretty much always on. Heat is very rarely needed for us, but I live in Florida, not northern Great Britain.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm
Brian, you don't plug in a refrigerator, and you don't have heat in your house? I guess if you live in a city, it's nice not to have a car, but no heat in the house?

Well, I've got two kids, so we have the refrigerator in the kitchen, and a back-up plugged in out in the garage.
The fridge thing seemed a sensible thing to do - my shopping and cooking preferences meant there was never anything in it. The heating thing came about through a combination of economic necessity and a conscious decision to reduce my carbon burden - the two things being inextricable.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Hey, I didn't say it was perfect :D nor am I that familiar with the city yet. I'm mostly noting the contrast between where I was in the soft South and here.
What motivated you to move to Edinburgh, Brian? If you don't mind my asking of course. :ask:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 pm

After 10 or more years in the isolating idyll of the Cotswold, and with my daughter going off to uni, I just felt like it was the time to make a change. I've been visiting Edinburgh since the 90s - so I thought I might as well give it a punt. I can always move if I don't like it eh?

Frank Zappa

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Cool. I was just wondering, in my ether-addled mind, if you had some conception of Scotland seceding and joining the EU. I wish you and yours the best. :td:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Śiva wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 pm
Cool. I was just wondering, in my ether-addled mind, if you had some conception of Scotland seceding and joining the EU. I wish you and yours the best. :td:
In that case, Brian would undoubtedly be interned in a special camp for enemy aliens, and forced to subsist on deep-fried Mars Bars and haggis...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:19 am

Deep-fried Mars Bars IN haggis!
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:20 am

Vegan haggis.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.