Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Jason » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:18 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm
I wonder if they've considered that Beyonce looks great in her outfit and Ed looks like a slob in his.
They did, and that was the problem. Ed Sheeran is privileged because "we" allow - allow - him to "feel" as if it's "o.k." to dress like that, but women "have to" wear great outfits, like Beyonce'. LOL

It's tangential to the crisis that occurred over Zuckerberg wearing the same thing every day. Men get to do that. Women "have to" wear fancy clothes.

This is something that needs to be fixed. Men need to be made to feel that they cannot just wear whatever they want.
Government issued unisex uniforms are the answer here. I'm partial to a reflective silver onesie.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:36 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 pm
Now, if we leave pop music and go to rock -- which is currently on life-support and not looking good right now
Is it on life support? There's a discussion of that topic here:
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1502710
The topic starter is an obstinate cunt though, so I'd give him a wide berth. :coffee:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:46 am

I don't care what people say, rock and roll is here to stay.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:46 am

Seabass wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 pm
Now, if we leave pop music and go to rock -- which is currently on life-support and not looking good right now
Is it on life support? There's a discussion of that topic here:
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1502710
The topic starter is an obstinate cunt though, so I'd give him a wide berth. :coffee:

:hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 am

Punks not dead - it just sold out to the man.

:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Jason wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:18 am
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm
I wonder if they've considered that Beyonce looks great in her outfit and Ed looks like a slob in his.
They did, and that was the problem. Ed Sheeran is privileged because "we" allow - allow - him to "feel" as if it's "o.k." to dress like that, but women "have to" wear great outfits, like Beyonce'. LOL

It's tangential to the crisis that occurred over Zuckerberg wearing the same thing every day. Men get to do that. Women "have to" wear fancy clothes.

This is something that needs to be fixed. Men need to be made to feel that they cannot just wear whatever they want.
Government issued unisex uniforms are the answer here. I'm partial to a reflective silver onesie.
For men. Nobody should tell a woman what she can and cannot wear. :{D
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Kevin Hart Steps Down as Oscar Host

--conformity's a motherfucker eh?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Not surprising.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Opens the door a chink for Kevin Bacon though.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:56 pm

The Wisconsin power grab is part of a bigger Republican attack on democracy
The GOP’s turn against democracy may be a greater threat to the American experiment than President Trump.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -democracy

Democracy is premised on the idea that political power is only legitimate when exercised with the consent of the governed. But in reality, people disagree about fundamental political and moral issues; no elected government will ever have 100 percent support of the population, or anything close to it. The purpose of a democratic political system is to bridge that gap: to create a system for resolving these disagreements that everyone thinks is fair. That way, everyone will accept the outcome of the election as basically legitimate even when their side loses.

The post-election power grabs amount to Republicans declaring that they no longer accept that fundamental bargain. They do not believe it’s legitimate when they lose, or that they are obligated to hand over power to Democrats because that’s what’s required in a fair system. Political power, to the state legislators in question, matters more than the core bargain of democracy.

There’s also a broader context. Republicans have, for years now, engaged in a systematic and nationally coordinated effort to rewrite the rules of the political game in their favor. What’s happening in Wisconsin and Michigan is only the latest manifestation of a broader anti-democratic trend, which in the past decade or so has become part of the party’s identity.

The spread of extreme partisan gerrymandering and voter ID laws, tools used by Republicans to marginalize minorities and other Democratic-leaning constituencies, are the most obvious examples.

The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) wrote draft legislation that Republican state legislatures around the country quickly and easily adapted into their own voter ID laws. Another effort, Project REDMAP, an initiative of the Republican State Leadership Committee, was a national coordinating committee helping Republicans at the state level put together extreme partisan gerrymanders in the wake of their sweeping 2010 victories.

And there is simply no parallel on the other side. While state Democrats have certainly gerrymandered — Maryland being a particularly egregious case — it’s not nearly as nationally systematic as it has been on the Republican side. And Democrats certainly have not engaged in large-scale efforts to suppress Republican voters or strip powers from Republican officials after they win office. Republican officials don’t seem to feel constrained by the basic, principled norms of democracy the way that Democrats are.

“There’s really an assault on electoral fairness, I would say, in Republican-governed states,” Daniel Ziblatt, a Harvard professor and author of How Democracies Die, tells me. “It’s really only in Republican-governed states where this has taken place.”
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -democracy
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm

The thing about representative democracy is not that those elected are simply given a power to rule but that they are charged with a duty to represent the interests of all citizens, not just those who voted for them. Fundamental to that principle is an obligation upon the elected to maintain a level political playing field. Those who would fix it so that they are always playing downhill while everybody else has to play uphill have violated that principle, and should therefore forfeit their right to represent the people.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 pm
...a chink for Kevin Bacon ...

Nah, but I'd consider one of those Bollywood babes.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 am

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm
The thing about representative democracy is not that those elected are simply given a power to rule but that they are charged with a duty to represent the interests of all citizens, not just those who voted for them. Fundamental to that principle is an obligation upon the elected to maintain a level political playing field. Those who would fix it some that they are always playing downhill while everybody else has to play uphill have violated that principle, and should therefore forfeit their right to represent the people.
When the basic rules were put into place surely they must have realised it was not democratic. The electoral college is a travesty. Not even the same rules apply to each state. You only have win three states to win.
The Senate with two members for each state is totally not democratic in any way.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm
they are charged with a duty to represent the interests of all citizens, not just those who voted for them.
Not all issues have a middle ground.

Sometimes, a whole bunch of people want something (like open borders) and a whole bunch of others want something directly opposed (secured borders)

When that happens, seeking the middle ground is ignoring at least one group.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.