Where's the automation?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Where's the automation?

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 am

Queuing is good - it gives you a chance to check people out and unites all queuees in solidarity against the bastard who's making us wait.

And CAD software definitely does know the material properties of things these days, while architecture packages will even map the flow of people through buildings and model panic behaviour to predict bottlenecks and structural requirement etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:38 pm

cronus wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:31 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:27 am
Absolutely. Although, I've more or less given up alcohol to help improve my mental health. I still have a beer or two on an occasion (had a couple after cricket on saturday).

I intend to quit. Think the hangovers are effecting my liver or something.
I had that intention for several years. Drinking too much and dependent on it to feel more or less OK. I quit for a year and have dry spells now and again and these days have one or two glasses of wine of an evening and it feels well under control - I feel pretty goos in fact.

I drank and took benzos when I went through a divorce many years ago now. I felt good when drinking and with a few pills inside me but the rest of the time I felt like death.

If you are mixing them it explains a lot...maybe.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 pm

welcome to my world... I'm dependent on pills to even be barely functional (not benzos, though I have a stash of xanax in case I get anxiety attacks)... and I like my drink. my dry spells are counted in days, not weeks or more.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:07 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 am
Psych meds and alcohol don't mix well.
Which meds? I've found benzos and alcohol mix wonderfully. :smoke:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Sure, they potentialize each other... I also bet you got a lot of blackouts when you've overdone it.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 am
Queuing is good - it gives you a chance to check people out and unites all queuees in solidarity against the bastard who's making us wait.

And CAD software definitely does know the material properties of things these days, while architecture packages will even map the flow of people through buildings and model panic behaviour to predict bottlenecks and structural requirement etc.
Tips on lines:

1. People tend to go right, stay left.

2. Get in line behind someone with a lot of items rather than a long line of people with just a few items.

3. Prefer long single lines that allow you to choose a cashier etc. over individual shorter lines spread across multiple cashiers.

4. Look for female cashiers.

5. Remember that we all overestimate how long we spend in lines.

6. Finally remember that in America the angry customer behind you may be packing.

--can't remember the source, trust me, it's good.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 am

I made a chart. It's total hours worked in the economy as a ratio of the total working age population, for the US. Was wondering if the idea of automation taking over our jobs was reflected in the data. Seems it could be, as we see the hours worked per person that is available to work has dropped over time (a 25% reduction).

US Total Hours vs Total Workers.png
US Total Hours vs Total Workers.png (11.06 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:06 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 pm
Sorry, but I'm most inefficient cash desk operator, and prefer people at the cash desk when doing my groceries rather than the new do it yourself ones some stores are installing
Here is a useful tip.
The self-service checkout usually has no queue. Start putting you stuff through, then press the help button, and some young and charming person will appear and do it for you.
Saves a lot of time, but don't do it at the same shop too often.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:27 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 am
I made a chart. It's total hours worked in the economy as a ratio of the total working age population, for the US. Was wondering if the idea of automation taking over our jobs was reflected in the data. Seems it could be, as we see the hours worked per person that is available to work has dropped over time (a 25% reduction).

US Total Hours vs Total Workers.png
Wrong! It's those young, strong, virile young men in those brown barbarian hordes of MS-13 gang members and unknown middle easterners that are mounting a full scale invasion and storming our southern border and carrying smallpox and rabies and drugs... they're the ones taking our jobs!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka