Growth (near-infinite)

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Growth (near-infinite)

Post by cronus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:38 am

What are the issues? Without growth man will remain a single planetary species and time is running with climate change, resource depletion and a rising tide of quasi-medieval rulers.

Can it be achieved? Should it be achieved with the Earth already messed up? Is it betting the farm (ie planet Earth) on a pipe dream? Planting life on Mars?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Growth (near-infinite)

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am

Just press the button. Save the universe from a vile virus. :thinks:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:33 am

The New Statesman
What if the same force that created civilisation is the thing most likely to destroy it?
What’s bothering me is the suspicion that, after four billion years of serving life well, the competitive impulse has become the biggest threat to our survival. The side effects of our advanced civilisation include the depletion of the Earth’s natural resources, vast quantities of planet-boiling pollution and weapons destructive enough to wipe out life on Earth – each the result of unchecked competition. We could, in theory, work together to deal with these problems: agree to emit less carbon, or protect the environment, or ban the bomb. But what if, in practice, we can’t, because we’ve spent four billion years learning to outcompete each other? What if there’s always a marginal, momentary advantage to refusing to collaborate – and that, sooner or later, someone somewhere will think it’s an advantage worth having?
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I like to think that in 200 years or so we will be an interplanetary species with busy space stations, bases on the moon and Mars and maybe some outposts out near the big planets. Maybe mining asteroids too.

I like to think it, and I thought it would happen in the days when Asimov, Heinlein and Pohl were my favourite authors. A long time ago now.

As I've gotten older my sense of respect for what mankind has done has grown. I think it is astonishing that we have made the progress we have despite the obstacles. But I've also become aware of how fragile that progress is - and as per the OP - the fact that it is based on unsustainable growth.

I give it 55 to 45 in favour of us making it to Mars and beyond and of finding a way through the next 50 or 60 years.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:46 am

I would not. This planet needs to be sorted out first. The economic damage Trump and Brexit are causing will take years to even patch up. Space travel is a luxury not a necessity but a toy of the spoilt brats. I hope the world can survive the next hundred years but I have my doubts. Get another idiot in the White House which is a very strong possibility or even Trump turning into a dictator (who is going to stop him) and it is good bye world. Just look at the gigantic mess the USA is turning into. Its very foundations are being shaken!
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".