White People Are Cowards.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

White People Are Cowards.

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:11 am

I thought white people were evil. I was wrong.

Whenever anyone mentions the historical atrocity of chattel slavery, white people will emerge from the dark crevices of humanity to gnaw away at the assertion like roaches on a discarded Cheeto. They will explain how mostwhite people didn’t own slaves. They will offer a convoluted explanation about the Confederacy and Southern heritage. They will introduce the concept of “presentism”—the idea that we shouldn’t judge the actions of people in the past using modern-day standards—as if the white people of the past couldn’t quite grasp the idea of inhumanity and brutality until 1861

Everyone knew that slavery was evil. Everyone knew that Jim Crow was evil. Everyone knew that lynching was evil. Everyone knows that any kind of injustice or inequality is evil. These things persist because most white peopledon’t actively fight to eradicate them.

And most white people don’t actively fight to eradicate inequality and injustice because they usually benefit in some small way. The Southern economy was built on evil slavery. Jim Crow laws maintained a national order with white people firmly planted atop the social hierarchy. Systematic injustice keeps black people in their place, but it also comforts white people to know that the big black bogeymen are being kept behind bars.

Inequality and racism exist not because of evil but because the unaffected majority put their interests above all others, and their inaction allows inequality to flourish. That is why I believe that silence in the presence of injustice is as bad as injustice itself. White people who are quiet about racism might not plant the seed, but their silence is sunlight.

Many of those people don’t speak out because they fear alienation more than they hate racism. For them, the fear of having someone furrow their brow in their direction outweighs their hatred of sending children to an underfunded school knowing that they don’t have an equal chance at success because of the color of their skin.

They know the reality of disproportionate police brutality, but they don’t have to worry about their children being shot in the face. Their kids receive good educations. Their kids can wear hoodies whenever they please. Little Amber and Connor’s résumés don’t get tossed in the trash because of their black-sounding names. Their children’s futures are determined only by work ethic and ability. Therefore, they stay silent on the sidelines.

That’s not evil.

That is cowardice.

On Thursday, while visiting San Antonio, I was approached by a gentleman who heard my name and wanted to know if I was the Michael Harriot from The Root. He said that he was a paralegal who works with one of the noted immigration attorneys who were all over the news that day (I don’t know which one because I had been traveling and ... Crown Royal). He began to explain how the Trump administration was literally putting children in concentration camps.
Read in full: https://www.theroot.com/white-people-ar ... 958780/amp
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: White Ppeople Are Cowards.

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 am

What rubbish.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: White People Are Cowards.

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 am

And yet still they do nothing...
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Some try to - there is opposition. The writer dismisses the resistance that there is completely simply because so far it isn't very effective.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am

Yes. Some. He mentions that. Most are standing aside and watching children being bundled into concentration camps.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 am

What is happening is unacceptable but the use of the phrase 'concentration camp', while technically correct is a loaded phrase. America is not 1930s Germany. Illegal immigrants are not Jews. No mass extermination is planned.

Trump's policy is dispicable - it is bad enough on its own without the emotionally charged language inflaming things further. The article you post the link to is an example. All that sort of thing will do is further polarise people.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 am

This softy softly approach is why Trump is still in power instead of out on his ear. People should be flocking to the White House and demanding he be removed. Demonstrations, sit ins, and strikes should be bringing the country to a stand still.

And fuck racist, Alt-right crackers if being compared to Nazis makes them balk. I have no tears for them.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 am

Nor should you have. But you posted an inflammatory, irrational article that raises as many questions as it poses. Why just white people? Are the black people who are 'standing by' not also 'responsible'? What about the black people who voted for Trump? What about activists and the left who are doing their bit to combat his nastiness? What about State legislature who are trying to do their bit?

The article is ill judged and unhelpful- and actually downright wrong.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 am

The article is not inflammatory. It's supposed to jolt people into action.

Black people in the States have tried kneeling. White America tells them to not be disrespectful. They protest and white people ask why they can't do it in some out the way place. They're provocative, holding a mirror to or reversing white racism and they're told not to be decisive.

Fuck all that. Nothing will change if they play by white people's comfortable rules.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

I have no belief that white people exist.

...so a load of steaming baboon poo.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

That's nice.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 am
Nor should you have. But you posted an inflammatory, irrational article that raises as many questions as it poses. Why just white people? Are the black people who are 'standing by' not also 'responsible'? What about the black people who voted for Trump? What about activists and the left who are doing their bit to combat his nastiness? What about State legislature who are trying to do their bit?

The article is ill judged and unhelpful- and actually downright wrong.
Totally agree. A bullshit OP, a perfect example of absurd polarisation.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 am

Ah! I love the smell of white, righteous indignation in the morning.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 am

If the article asserted that anyone who stands by and watches Trump trample all over human rights (and much else), then he would have a defensible position. Not necessarily a correct one, but it would have a bit more credence.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:09 am

Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 am
Ah! I love the smell of white, righteous indignation in the morning.
OK Mister coward. What are you doing about it other than posting on a forgotten corner of the internet?