Could You Hack It?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Could You Hack It?

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 23, 2018 6:33 pm

I don't mind my own company coz you're never alone with your thoughts. The conversations I have with the voices in my head are some of the most interesting and stimulating experiences I have. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm
Yea, for the time of The Great Eye In The Sky is coming. And lo, all creatures shall live in peaceful communion with each other, and all men will stay their hand from wrong lest they be struck down where they stand.
Oh, it's coming. If we don't blow ourselves up, there will be a big leap in surveillance. Our health and vital signs will be monitored in real time, and viewable on our "phones" and when things are viewable on the phones, then they are viewable by the State which will get itself access. It'll start with the kids, who will be hooked up and monitered until they're 18, and then it'll seem weird to that generation that they wouldn't be monitored.

All cars will become electric and/or self-driving, which will mean they will be remotely controllable. A central computer will know where all people are, except for the few who drop out "off the grid." But, most people won't, because the vast bulk of us will want to live in society.

Then will come the disappearance of the phone and it will be replaced by implants. The implants will be demanded by people who want better eyesight, sharper hearing, and quicker intellects. Join or be left behind among the "Naturals." DNA design will produce defectless kids. In a relatively short time, the way we lived up until our time will seem bizarre, dirty and painful, in much the same way we live the way people lived 200 years ago and more.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 pm

I can see that future too.

As to the OP - whatever happened to 'rehabilitation'. Incarceration should not just be about punishment - though it often is that alone sadly.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 pm

problem is that rehabilitation works only if the person to be rehabilitated is collaborating with you, most of the time, they just want out to resume their antisocial ways....
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 pm
problem is that rehabilitation works only if the person to be rehabilitated is collaborating with you, most of the time, they just want out to resume their antisocial ways....
I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion. Criminality is often not a life choice but a socially defined destination. There is research going way back for example that simply keeping young offenders away from the criminal justice system reduces the chances of more offending. there is also research that shows that given decent job opportunities after release re-offending is reduced.

I did a two year stint in a youth offending team in the early 90s. A horrible job dealing with ghastly kids I always wanted to just smack in the face to bring them to their senses - and thankfully didn't. But one thing I did learn was that criminals are not created by nature but by circumstances and if you finesse the circumstances they stand a chance. That is what is called 'rehabilitation' in my book.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm
Svartalf wrote:
I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion. Criminality is often not a life choice but a socially defined destination. There is research going way back for example that simply keeping young offenders away from the criminal justice system reduces the chances of more offending. there is also research that shows that given decent job opportunities after release re-offending is reduced.

I did a two year stint in a youth offending team in the early 90s. A horrible job dealing with ghastly kids I always wanted to just smack in the face to bring them to their senses - and thankfully didn't. But one thing I did learn was that criminals are not created by nature but by circumstances and if you finesse the circumstances they stand a chance. That is what is called 'rehabilitation' in my book.
Indeed, prisons are bad idea. Maybe they seemed good as the only alternative to capital and corporal punishments, but it is counterproductive and doesn't rehabilitate. People get out with new criminal friends, and fewer outlooks in life, because nobody wants to hire and ex-con. There is probably some genetic propensity involved in behaviors, but I agree with you that nobody is "born" a criminal.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 23, 2018 11:15 pm

There are a great many factors at play in every aspect of human behaviour and interaction, and those we know about go some way to suggesting that we're not quite the moral free agents we think we are - and some of them suggest we're not even close to being moral free agents at all.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 pm

My experience is entirely different, criminals are definitely born. But they rarely end up in jail. :biggrin:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 24, 2018 6:15 am

Rum wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm
Svartalf wrote:

I just wish I knew just how many delinquents can be rehabilitated out of 100... petty thieves and drug dealers, likely, but violent offenders, murderers, rapists, large scale white collar an d organized criminals... I have serious doubts.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am

cronus wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:46 pm
Not permanent. Aids would run rife in that situation.
Unlikely, those are all good Catholic boys.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Federal Supermax in Florence Colorado. Could you hack it? Is this really better than the death penalty? I don't see it. Shouldn't they at least have the option of suicide?
I see a pen in there. That's a weapon.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am

NineBerry wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Federal Supermax in Florence Colorado. Could you hack it? Is this really better than the death penalty? I don't see it. Shouldn't they at least have the option of suicide?
I see a pen in there. That's a weapon.
It is in the wrong hands. History has proven time and again.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu May 24, 2018 10:05 pm

I could only survive with a copious supply of books...

And a ration of gin, of course...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 pm

actually, I'm not sure those would suffice me, I've become addicted to my computer and the internet and communication with other people... even though I'm still choosy enough to never go to RatSkep or to have no FB account.