This is what systemic racism looks like.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: This is what systemic racism looks like.

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Is that because the fathers are in jail?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Is that because the fathers are in jail?
The article doesn't explain.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 am

Forty Two wrote:The OP article is quite interesting.

The article suggests that not only do poor African Americans fair worse than poor whites, but also more affluent African Americans fair worse than their white peers in the same group. The article offers one (actually more than one) explanation, several paragraphs down from the portion quoted in the OP, and that is the percentage of single parent homes in the black communities vs. single parent homes in the white communities, together with the issue of rates of criminality in the black community, and the overall disparity in class/poverty levels (even where a black family may be affluent, the sad thing is that much of the extended portion of that family will not be in the same affluence level or class).

The familial issue, though - not having a two parents at home -- seems to be an influencing factor, pursuant to the article.

The data seems quite extensive. And, it deserves some serious looking into. However, the article does not suggest that there is racism in these affluent communities which is applied directly to the black kids in that community. The suggestion is that the data overall implies that racism must be the causative factor, and not class. In favor of that assertion, the article says that if it was class that was at issue, then poor whites would have the same chance of doing well as poor blacks, but the poor whites are dooing better, and the affluent whites and blacks would also have the same chance of staying affluent, which the data says they don't.

However, the article offers a non-racist explanation, but then ignores it - which is the cultural differences, highlighted by the far higher rate of single parent households (the article refers to the lack of fathers specifically). This seems to afford one non-racial factor (unless the reality is that the reason the black community tends to not have fathers present in the same percentages as whites and asians is a result of racism...) for the disparity. The article mentions Asians as doing phenomenally well too - but, one thing that is true also of that community is a culture of a family unit that stays together. Unfortunately, in the US (not sure of how it is in Europe or elsewhere), the black community is shattered and intact family units are the minority, not the norm.
I see. Poor or affluent white people are essentially of a different class than their black counterparts.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:08 pm

"cultural" differences.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Is single parenting "cultural"? I can't say I've heard of that one before. The other issue is - what do you base your view on that single parenting leads to disadvantage? I can certainly accept that it's going to be harder to raise a kid singley, but that doesn't imply such dramatic disadvantage as we see in the stats.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Well, yeah there are disadvantages - https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/are- ... worse-off/

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:53 pm

There's no quantification of the level of disadvantage in that article.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Single mothers can't say "wait till your father gets home", they have to beat the kids themselves.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:47 pm

Feelgood story mentions psychology angle and 1950s study/experiment
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/30/us/john- ... index.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:49 pm

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...