Don't you know how to use Google?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Re: Vegans

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Rum wrote:I've been vegetarian off and on most of my adult life - maybe a total of ten years out of the last 30. I'm not at the moment - pure lack of will power I'm afraid.

Suitable vegetarian fare for one who is prone to indigestion is hard enough to find, but the couple of times I've tried to eat more vegan style I have given up in despair. All the joy seems to be sucked out of life with that diet!
I just could not eat a vegan diet. I enjoy food too much. What do they do for the B12 problem?
I'm not vegan, but it's perfectly possible to have delicious vegan food if you know what you're doing. The best burger and chips I've ever had was a vegan falafel burger from a cafe in town. Crispy spiced falafel with a slice of earthy beetroot, beef tomato, lettuce and pickled onion relish all in a vegan brioche bun with sweet potato chips. Bloody fantastic it was.

And what about curry? There's no reason any curry can't be vegan.

And as for the vitamins, I just checked and two out of three of the breakfast cereals I've currently got in the house are fortified with vitamins and minerals including B12, and any vegan substitutes like soy or almond milk always have that sort of thing in it too. It's really not a problem any more.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

B12 and B12 that is the problem. I have a monthly injections of B12 from bovine extraction and is readily absorbed by the body. The other is not.

I never eat hamburgers and chips. I dont eat falafel it is too disgusting. I eat only organic meat. Seldom eat curries these days. We dont have Indian restaurants. Indonesian food is based on the three sorts of meat but I seldom eat that as well.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:27 pm

We eat vegetarian meals probably 3 times a week - I suppose the ones without cheese would be vegan...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm

We eat vegan stuff every now and again. Last time was probably 2002. I ran out of cheese.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:B12 and B12 that is the problem. I have a monthly injections of B12 from bovine extraction and is readily absorbed by the body. The other is not.
If you need injections of B12 because you're in bad health, what does that have to do with perfectly health vegans that do get it through their diet?
I never eat hamburgers and chips. I dont eat falafel it is too disgusting. I eat only organic meat. Seldom eat curries these days. We dont have Indian restaurants. Indonesian food is based on the three sorts of meat but I seldom eat that as well.
So the problem is not actually the vegan food, just the fact that you're a really fussy eater. :razzle:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Apparently the best food in the world is to be found in the Netherlands. Their supermarkets are full of cheese and bacon, so perhaps he is right. :hehe:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
cronus wrote:As evidence grows for plant sentience the case for a moral sort of Vegan is narrowing.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bi ... ants-aware
If plants have feelings then it's OK to ignore the common animal welfare objections to meat? You'll have to flesh that one out for me Crumps.
Whether it's o.k. is constructed within societies. Every culture has its own set of standards arising from the various influences within each particular group. So, whether it's o.k. or not o.k. depends on the socially constructed norms of that given society, and therefore in some societies it is o.k. to ignore common animal welfare objections to meat, and in other societies it's not o.k.
Meh. I think moral reasoning and justifications can be examined on their own terms. Appeals to the absolute relativity of goods and harms cast all moral arguments as moot, and while people may find the common animal welfare argument against meat less than compelling, or perhaps a little personally uncomfortable in its ramifications, one cannot say that there isn't an argument to address.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:... What do they do for the B12 problem?
Marmite. :biggrin:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Rum wrote:Apparently the best food in the world is to be found in the Netherlands. Their supermarkets are full of cheese and bacon, so perhaps he is right. :hehe:
Best hangover cure beakfast I ever had was in Amsterdam: sugar sandwiches and two pints of banana milkshake.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm

I don't know what the B12 problem is, but falafel is fracking fantastic, I have a friend, who's super hard to get to move who'll come visite me about every other month just so we can go to the nearby Jewish falafel shop enjoy a delicious kosher (I don't know if their humus is actually vegan) and definitely vegetarian meal.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:11 am

Svartalf wrote:I don't know what the B12 problem is, but falafel is fracking fantastic, I have a friend, who's super hard to get to move who'll come visite me about every other month just so we can go to the nearby Jewish falafel shop enjoy a delicious kosher (I don't know if their humus is actually vegan) and definitely vegetarian meal.
A kosher falafel, eh?

That means that the chickpeas have been ritually slaughtered by a Rabbi, I suppose... :biggrin:
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:22 am

:food:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:26 am

Are Kosher Vegans available in Jewish delis?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:B12 and B12 that is the problem. I have a monthly injections of B12 from bovine extraction and is readily absorbed by the body. The other is not.
If you need injections of B12 because you're in bad health, what does that have to do with perfectly health vegans that do get it through their diet?
So the problem is not actually the vegan food, just the fact that you're a really fussy eater. :razzle:
So I am a very fussy eater and I am lucky I can afford my fussiness.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".