Sexist Haircut Pricing

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Sexist Haircut Pricing

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/27/why-do-wo ... s-6737965/ Why do women have to pay so much more for haircuts, asks this article?

The writer says that men's cut and finish was advertised as 47 pounds, while the women's cut and finish was 58 pounds, with no other categories.

Well, in my view, it's because men don't ask as much of their hairstylists, and "cut and finish" for women seems to me to mean something more extensive and demanding than "cut and finish" for men. I bet if the writer was given the men's cut and finish, she would not be satisfied that her hair was done right.

Looking at the haircuts I get vs the haircuts my wife gets, it's clear why she pays a lot more. Even just a haircut with no color and nothing special done means much more than what I get. Even with short hair, women's styles are more complex than men's styles, as far as I can tell.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Sexist Haircut Pricing

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm

When women have their hair done they get a cup of coffee and a swanky biscuit.

/thread
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm

They're more likely than a man to complain to their friends about a bad haircut. So you charge them more to make up for all the lost customers...

I just made that up. Pretty good huh?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:42 pm

I should probably be a talking head on a Fox "investing" program.

devogue

Post by devogue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

They get tin foil wrapped in their hair so they can top up on their fucking mentalness. That isn't cheap.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:49 pm

I think the hair salons are using a shorthand to price their cuts. I mean, they COULD just price the kinds of styles, but the result will be the same. Because a woman's "pixie cut" is definitely still going to cost more than the man's "short in the back and parted on the side." LOL
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:52 pm

devogue wrote:They get tin foil wrapped in their hair so they can top up on their fucking mentalness. That isn't cheap.
LOL

My wife still can't figure out why she "has to tell me" to trim my eyebrows. My repeated statements to her that "I'm a heterosexual male born in the 1960s and I just don't care much about my eyebrows" have made some headway, but she still says, from time to time, that she "can't believe" that I don't notice it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

£47??! I get mine cit for 4 quid by a nice young lady with a large chest who asks questions about what I've been up to as if she is really interested. Which of course she is not. The thought is nice though.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Forty Two wrote:
devogue wrote:They get tin foil wrapped in their hair so they can top up on their fucking mentalness. That isn't cheap.
LOL

My wife still can't figure out why she "has to tell me" to trim my eyebrows. My repeated statements to her that "I'm a heterosexual male born in the 1960s and I just don't care much about my eyebrows" have made some headway, but she still says, from time to time, that she "can't believe" that I don't notice it.
Thank goodness your hair is so long that she can't see those strands of fuse wire sprouting from your ears.

:)

When my daughter was about 5 she turned to me at a family dinner and asked, "Why does uncle jack have bee's legs up his nose?"
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:25 pm

LOL - bee's legs.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm

They'll give a dyke a man's cut and charge a man's price. That's equality.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm

I've heard that the Trump cut costs $7000 a week.

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 pm

If you have to wind one strand of hair that many times around a single head, the price is going to be high.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Mine cost zero. About 6 times a year, Bron runs the clippers through my hair. Done.

God knows what her hairstyling costs, but it's a fuck of a lot more than zero...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 pm

JimC wrote:Mine cost zero. About 6 times a year, Bron runs the clippers through my hair.
And they say that romance is dead.

Frank Zappa