Does Post-Modernism Objectively Exist?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Does Post-Modernism Objectively Exist?

Post by rainbow » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:28 am

Perhaps it does, but as a reference class problem, it might just be improbable.

:thinks:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Does Post-Modernism Objectively Exist?

Post by Rum » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 am

Does any category or descriptor invented by humans exist? Only in the minds of people who subscribe to it as a concept surely.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 am

I'd be willing to say that physical manifestations of post-modernism objectively exist. Papers written espousing a post-modernist view objectively exist. Other than that, this thread is pointing to a steaming pile of metaphysics and inviting unwary members to start digging.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 am

It's not called post-modernism, it's called "email", guys.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 am

No, there is no post modernism. Bling culture and trash culture and idiot culture exists. I see nothing post modern in the world today. And modern is a very dubious concept also, considering Caesar Trump.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 am

Well that's settled, then.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am

Luckily, gin is pre-modern, so I have nothing to worry about...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:59 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:I'd be willing to say that physical manifestations of post-modernism objectively exist. Papers written espousing a post-modernist view objectively exist. Other than that, this thread is pointing to a steaming pile of metaphysics and inviting unwary members to start digging.
You'd certainly be heading down a rabbit hole if you initiated a discussion with a post-modernist by asking: "Does Post-Modernism Objectively Exist?" I'd expect the first reaction to be along the lines of "You have no fucking idea about what post-modernism is, or you're just trolling."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Hermit wrote: I'd expect the first reaction to be along the lines of "You have no fucking idea about what post-modernism is, or you're just trolling."
:ask: But would they really mean it, or would it be an automatic reaction against established modernism?
BArF−4

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I post-think, therefore I am.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I post-think, therefore I am might be.
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:14 pm

If one examines material postdialectic theory, one is faced with a stark and prescient choice: either reject neocapitalist theory or conclude that culture is capable of progressive significance. In a sense, as Barthes suggests, the deployment of the cultural narrative is focused in an attack upon neocapitalist expressionism concerning the stasis, and some would say the absurdity, in which submodernist sexuality is all too often subsumed.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 pm

:funny: :clap:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Over the past two decades there has been extensive discussion among critical theorists with regard to the characteristics of modernist versus postmodernist culture; and in recent years these dialogues have begun to devote detailed attention to the specific problems posed by the natural sciences.75 In particular, Madsen and Madsen have recently given a very clear summary of the characteristics of modernist versus postmodernist science. They posit two criteria for a postmodern science:
  • A simple criterion for science to qualify as postmodern is that it be free from any dependence on the concept of objective truth. By this criterion, for example, the complementarity interpretation of quantum physics due to Niels Bohr and the Copenhagen school is seen as postmodernist.76
Clearly, quantum gravity is in this respect an archetypal postmodernist science. Secondly,
  • The other concept which can be taken as being fundamental to postmodern science is that of essentiality. Postmodern scientific theories are constructed from those theoretical elements which are essential for the consistency and utility of the theory.77
Thus, quantities or objects which are in principle unobservable -- such as space-time points, exact particle positions, or quarks and gluons -- ought not to be introduced into the theory.78 While much of modern physics is excluded by this criterion, quantum gravity again qualifies: in the passage from classical general relativity to the quantized theory, space-time points (and indeed the space-time manifold itself) have disappeared from the theory.

However, these criteria, admirable as they are, are insufficient for a liberatory postmodern science: they liberate human beings from the tyranny of ``absolute truth'' and ``objective reality'', but not necessarily from the tyranny of other human beings. In Andrew Ross' words, we need a science ``that will be publicly answerable and of some service to progressive interests.''79 From a feminist standpoint, Kelly Oliver makes a similar argument:
  • ... in order to be revolutionary, feminist theory cannot claim to describe what exists, or, ``natural facts.'' Rather, feminist theories should be political tools, strategies for overcoming oppression in specific concrete situations. The goal, then, of feminist theory, should be to develop strategic theories -- not true theories, not false theories, but strategic theories.80
From Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:43 am

JimC wrote:Luckily, gin is pre-modern, so I have nothing to worry about...
So is beer, wine, whisky, vodka, rum, brandy, tequila,

shit, I think we're on to something here.....
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.