Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:28 pm

rainbow wrote:Image
He's taking the eucharist a bit literally...
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Tonight is churrasco steak fajitas.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 pm

laklak wrote:Tonight is churrasco steak fajitas.
Time for some self-flagellation as punishment for major appropriation here.... Brazilian/Portuguese churrasco.... American fajitas.... that's cultural appropriation of Mexican food that isn't Mexican.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Personally, I avoid social shaming by eating only beets, radishes, and oats.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:11 pm

That's species appropriation from rabbits and horses.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:42 pm

I culturally appropriated some Merkin tonight. Had Maccas.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 pm

rainbow wrote:Image
:hehe: that fits your views of the clergy does it not?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:09 pm

pErvin wrote:culturally ... Merkin
Oxymoron alert!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:49 am

Thankfully I didn't get a bacterial culture from my Macca's burger..
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:40 am

Whatever other faults they have, they are highly unlikely to produce food with any bacterial issues, unlike places where the food lies around in warmers for ages. Fast turn-over and pretty clean conditions = no tummy bugs...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 am

Well dont eat them in Dehli. 43 of the 55 McDonald's had to close.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Well dont eat them in Dehli. 43 of the 55 McDonald's had to close.
Maybe someone accidentally delivered them beef meat patties, and now they have to clean out the stores to get rid of the bad Karma

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:36 pm

One view of cultural appropriation of food - http://www.foodrepublic.com/2017/06/01/ ... tion-food/

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Let’s talk about the right way to appropriate, because we all do it. Ideas aren’t free when Tim Carman writes them for The Washington Post, so I’m not sure why they should be free when a dozen abuelas who make tortillas in Puerto Nuevo, Mexico are interviewed by two white women from Portland. Granted, recipes are hard to legally copyright and these abuelas may not have worried about protecting their intellectual property, but a culturally respectful thing for Kooks to do would have been to go back and deeply explore the food over time, profit-share or pay for recipes, set up a foundation or scholarship for street food vendors and their children, and/or even post their photos and stories on the Kooks cart to give them credit so they could augment their own success. It’s not always what you do, but how you do it. I would’ve loved to have supported a delicious Kooks cart if I felt like I could get with what they were doing, but what they essentially did was use abuelas as free consultants and teachers. Folks would charge $100 an hour or more for that kind of consulting in New York.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... stice.html

Yeah, but...that's not what the Progressive "justice" brigade did. They didn't go after the "white" women and say "hey, you owe those Mexican women you got the recipes from a royalty and other compensation..." What they did was declare it improper and racist for white women to make tacos, and drove them out of business.

So, this lady tries to say "no no no no" this is not about stopping people from making food outside their culture, and maybe it isn't for her, this particular writer. But, it's not unfair to conclude that the Progressive social justice movement is about stopping the white women from making the tacos. Because that's what they did.
How Western and privileged do you have to be to not understand how American and privileged you are to take this impromptu Christmas trip to Mexico and “borrow” all these recipes and eat unlimited $5 tortillas with a side of lobster and then bring them back and have a food cart pop-up so soon after? It’s because you have money and connections.
You don't have to be western or privileged to understand that. People often take ideas from one culture and bring them back to their own, or to another culture, because the novelty of it. The food industry is competitive. And, there's nothing wrong with having money and connections. This is not a "problem" that "we" have to "solve," because it's not a problem, nor is it anyone else's business in a free society what other people do with their money and connections, within the law. Everyone who wants to succeed in business would do well to make connections. If you don't have them, make them.
So it’s not that you can’t cook a food. In most cases, no one will (or even can) stop you from doing whatever you want to, especially if you have the money and power to do. But don’t pretend you invented it, Columbus. The “New World” was already here and doing just fine when you arrived.
Nobody said it wasn't. And, a cook can take an existing food and make a derivative type of food from it, fuse it with other influences, or take it in a new direction. Nothing wrong with that. Intellectual property exists within certain confines, but being born Mexican doesn't mean you have a right to be paid if white people make tacos. It's this weird, muddled, vague thinking that bothers me aobut this social justice crowd.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm

I really can't accept that "cultural appropriation" matters to anyone other than an exceedingly tiny and fucking confused collection of losers. I know debate is good and all that, but giving them respectful(ish) exposure is silly. Just take the piss out of them.