Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Eating other ethnicities' foods = cultural appropriation

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am

The best English food can be found in the pig troughs of any country in the world.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 am

That's a bit harsh Hermie. :lol: They cant help it.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:13 am

But only a bit ;)

This whole issue can be addressed with a single, simple sceptical challenge: can a food tradition be owned by a group?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:can a food tradition be owned by a group?
Hopefully so. This would open an avenue to force the US to keep MacDonald's exclusively within its borders. And grits in Florida. And Dunkin' Donuts...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Dunkin' Donuts did not make it here.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Svartalf wrote:
NineBerry wrote:
tmp_6556-IMG_20170612_233422-662137763.jpg
Given that the modenr döner kebab sandwich IS a German invention, I don't see the problem.
It's a German invention based on the theft of the culinary culture of brown people. It's part of the culture of appropriation of brown bodies and brown minds.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 pm

rainbow wrote:
Forty Two wrote: White people owning restaurants that make tacos is problematic, because for it not to be problematic only people of a certain ethnicity should be able to make and sell tacos.
:fp:
It is only problematic because you confuse "race" with ethnicity.

Until you work this one out, you'll not be worth the effort of engaging in conversation.
Talk to the Progressives. You missed the fact that the idea that it is problematic is coming out of the leftist progressive social justice camp. I'm just taking the piss.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:You dont get the best French food in only France. Go to Brussel there are fantastic restaurants serving French cuisine.
It's o.k. because the French are "white." It's only when brown people are involved that white people can't attempt to utilize their cuisine either to make authentic versions or to make fusions and modifications.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Dunkin has better coffee than donuts.

Shipley Do-nuts is the drug of choice here.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:01 pm

pErvin wrote:I heard French food in the Netherlands was better than anywhere else...
Even their Budweiser and McDonalds burgers are good there.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Svartalf wrote:Belgian fries are better than French.
Ethnicity and nationality are social constructs. You may think they're Belgian fries, but the person making them may well identify as French. Check your privilege.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
pErvin wrote:I heard French food in the Netherlands was better than anywhere else...
No Belgium is THE place to eat. Brussel, Luik and Antwerpen are all good. We have some good ones but the Dutch being the Dutch are too stingy to pay for good food. The Belge will always pay for quality. Just go to one of their supermarkets as the choice is just amazing.
What about the Jews and the Poles?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Forty Two wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Forty Two wrote: White people owning restaurants that make tacos is problematic, because for it not to be problematic only people of a certain ethnicity should be able to make and sell tacos.

Until you work this one out, you'll not be worth the effort of engaging in conversation.
Talk to the Progressives.
Talk to the trees.
You missed the fact that the idea that it is problematic is coming out of the leftist progressive social justice camp.
You miss the fact that I couldn't give a toss.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 pm

rainbow wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
rainbow wrote:

Talk to the Progressives.
Talk to the trees.
You missed the fact that the idea that it is problematic is coming out of the leftist progressive social justice camp.
You miss the fact that I couldn't give a toss.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
NineBerry wrote:
tmp_6556-IMG_20170612_233422-662137763.jpg
Given that the modenr döner kebab sandwich IS a German invention, I don't see the problem.
It's a German invention based on the theft of the culinary culture of brown people. It's part of the culture of appropriation of brown bodies and brown minds.
It was Turks who invented it. But in Germany. So no stealing going on. But then non-Turkish Germans going to America to sell the Döner is a different thing. I wonder whether they emulate the Turkish Döner sellers in Germany by speaking broken accentuated German by asking "Döner mit Alles und scharf?".