The Sexist Formula for Dressing Professionally

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

The Sexist Formula for Dressing Professionally

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 10, 2017 4:47 pm

http://www.xojane.com/issues/profession ... -for-women The Sexist Formula for Dressing “Professionally” As A Woman That I Learned Running a Website That Crowdsources First Impressions of LinkedIn Photos – “At that time (my early 20s), I just wanted to look pretty without seeming like I was trying too hard. (Read: as hard as I was actually trying.) That was back before my perception of how I looked was further complicated by the opinions of people who had power over my career.” http://skepchick.org/2017/05/quickies-e ... s-illness/

So, the formula for dressing professionally is, according to the good folks at xojane and apparently skepchick.org, is sexist, and by sexist I assume they mean discriminatory against women in some way - detrimental to women qua women - perhaps harder for women than for men, based on sex. That's what comes across in the article, as I read it.

However, I've generally been of the view that, if anything, clothing standards are sexist against men, not against women, particularly in the "professional" environment. In a "professional" environment, men have few options. Certainly, wearing anything other than pants is not allowed. Women can wear dresses, skirts, pants, even shorts or calf link pants and still be within the dress customs or codes of most professional environments. When it comes to shirts, men generally have a solid color shirt, mostly white, sometimes blue, and occasionally some other color (but, such forays beyond white or blue are generally disfavored). In some professional environments (namely engineering) a short sleeved dress shirt is allowed, but that is not allowed in most professional environments. But, women can generally wear sleeveless shirts, low or high necklines, and even shirts which don't tuck in the pants (whereas men must generally be tucked).

In most high level professional environments ties are required for men, but not for women. Women can wear them, but they are allowed to be fancier or modified in someway - like hanging loosely about the neck, rather than tied up fully.

I get the article's angst about women being judged by contradictory standards -- men want you to be smart but not too smart, attractive but not too sexy or you're seen as slutty, etc. But, men have these kind of contradictory standards imposed on them by women too - be nice, but not too nice. Be strong and confident, but don't be pushy or conceited. This happens to everybody.

With dress codes, though, in the last 3 decades of my own experience, in a variety of professional settings - I can't really fathom how women could claim that this was an area where they were given the short end of the stick as compared to men.

Also, the article seems to overstate the difficulty of dressing in a manner that would be viewed by most everyone as professional. I mean, in an office environment, a solid color skirt or pants, button down shirt and blazer, with a nice pair of shoes (flat or heels), and you're dressing professional. Same as with men - dress pants, shirt, dress shoes. Done. Women have more options in that vein, as I noted (sleeves, necklines, fabrics, etc.), but other than having more options, what's the difficulty?

What say ya'll?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The Sexist Formula for Dressing Professionally

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Didn't read the article, coz reasons, but I assume they are talking about first appearances like on LinkedIn. And managers are more likely to be men than women, so there is that pressure to conform to certain beauty standards. But having said that, I'd be pretty sure most hr people are women.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Well, the article is about attire, not "beauty standards" per se. A beauty standard can involve a person's physical appearance, which is not attire. An ugly person can dress professionally and still not meet "beauty standards."

As for beauty standards in general, however, everyone is stuck with beauty standards. Most people aren't good looking, including men. In my personal experience, however, women are far rougher on other women than men are toward women, in the professional environment.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed May 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I am so fucking glad I don't have to deal with that shit any longer. I haven't worn a tie in 9 years. I don't own a suit, though I have a sport jacket that I haven't worn in about 5 years. I don't own a pair of "dress" shoes. I've probably worn closed shoes three or four times in the last year. If board shorts, T shirt and flip flops aren't sufficient then I don't go. I did wear a pair of jeans the other day, because the restaurant we went to is usually cold.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 pm

You're so privileged. If you were a woman, you wouldn't be allowed to do that.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm for total fashion equality. If a gent wants to wear a sleeveless top or an A-line frock, or a woman want to wear button flies and a bow tie, then that's fine with me. Then again, I'm at an age where I don't care what people think about how I look - comfort over fashion wins every time - and I don't care what others look like. Where possible I avoid looking entirely - listening to someone generally gives a far better clue to who and what they are, at least that's what I find.

Anyway, the article says that people are sexist if they expect or demand that women dress a certain way - in a way somehow expected of, or in keeping with, their gender. Most bigotry, sexism included, is arbitrary, as is most criticism of it. The basic point I take from the OP is that women have very little to complain about - I mean, they're allowed to work now, so what's the problem? - and when they do complain they usually blow things out of all proportion. Am I right fellas, or am I right? The complainer in the OP was probably on their period anyway.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Well, has someone said the things you noted in your last sentences? Or is that just something you imagine other people are saying?

Also, saying that this is not an area where women have it worse than men is not saying women have nothing at all worthy of complaint. Just because they have some legitimate gripes doesn't make every gripe legitimate. Men have gripes too, that doesn't make everything a worthwhile gripe for them, does it?

Are dress code customs really harder on women than men? I mean, don't women have far more customarily accepted choices and options than men?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Oh sorry, I thought this was sarcasm hour.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Sometimes, having a lot of choice is a pain. I don't have to think to hard about what I put on each morning as I dress to go to school, whereas the pretty young teachers amongst my colleagues clearly go to a lot of trouble, and there is a lot of diversity in their outfits. Personally, I don't give a damn what they wear, of course...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Don't you all get issued cardigans with the school motto enblazened upon the breast?

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Hehehehehe hehe hehehehehehehehe hehe hehe hehe hehehehe...

hehehehe hehe hehehehehehehe...

hehehe hehe hehe hehe....

You said "breast"... hehe hehe hehe...

hehehe hehe hehe hehehe hehehe hehe hehe hehe hehe....
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 11, 2017 2:23 am

Forty Two wrote:Well, the article is about attire, not "beauty standards" per se. A beauty standard can involve a person's physical appearance, which is not attire. An ugly person can dress professionally and still not meet "beauty standards."

As for beauty standards in general, however, everyone is stuck with beauty standards. Most people aren't good looking, including men.
I meant in terms of dress standards. I used to "beauty" to imply that the dress standard is about making women look more beautiful as opposed to looking more suitable as an employee in general.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 11, 2017 2:27 am

Forty Two wrote:Well, has someone said the things you noted in your last sentences? Or is that just something you imagine other people are saying?
He's taking the piss out of you and your like. The kind of people who don't understand sexism/racism/bigotry etc. The kind who whine "won't somebody think of the men?!!1".

Oh look:
Also, saying that this is not an area where women have it worse than men is not saying women have nothing at all worthy of complaint. Just because they have some legitimate gripes doesn't make every gripe legitimate. Men have gripes too, that doesn't make everything a worthwhile gripe for them, does it?

Are dress code customs really harder on women than men? I mean, don't women have far more customarily accepted choices and options than men?
:roll:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 11, 2017 6:44 pm

JimC wrote:Sometimes, having a lot of choice is a pain.
How would having more choice be a pain when it comes to clothes? I mean, a guy walks into a business meeting with sleeveless shirt, with a plunging neckline and he'd be"judged" plenty.
JimC wrote: I don't have to think to hard about what I put on each morning as I dress to go to school, whereas the pretty young teachers amongst my colleagues clearly go to a lot of trouble, and there is a lot of diversity in their outfits. Personally, I don't give a damn what they wear, of course...
They go to a lot of trouble, but do they have to? Or, is it that they like to? Nobody says they have to have a lot of diversity in their outfits. I've worked in professional offices for decades. Women can easily wear a skirt or pants, a button down shirt, and a blazer, pretty much the same as what a guy wears, and they're fine. The trouble seems to arise when they want to wear clothing that starts to be plunging, tight, revealing or flashy. But, being "judged" for that doesn't appear to be sexist, because if men did that, then they'd be judged just as harshly, probably moreso.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 11, 2017 6:47 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Well, the article is about attire, not "beauty standards" per se. A beauty standard can involve a person's physical appearance, which is not attire. An ugly person can dress professionally and still not meet "beauty standards."

As for beauty standards in general, however, everyone is stuck with beauty standards. Most people aren't good looking, including men.
I meant in terms of dress standards. I used to "beauty" to imply that the dress standard is about making women look more beautiful as opposed to looking more suitable as an employee in general.
I don't think that's the case in the case of professional attire. Professional attire for women is more like professional attire for men. A woman's suit, other than being more detailed or specifically tailored, and not generally needing a tie, is not much different in character than a man's professional attire. Even business casual - women can easily wear slacks and button down shirt. I see it all the time. I think the issue arises when women want to deviate into areas that are "revealing" or "flashy" or "sexy" -- which, again, have a guy walk in with a backless shirt, and pants so tight you can see the outline of his penis, and people will "judge" ....