The Sexist Formula for Dressing Professionally

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: The Sexist Formula for Dressing Professionally

Post by Forty Two » Sun May 14, 2017 6:54 pm

pErvin wrote:
Hermit wrote:When Don Dunstan was South Australia's Premier, he changed the state parliament's dress code and attended proceedings like this:

Straya!
Anyone who pulls their socks up like that ought to be impeached.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon May 15, 2017 7:54 am

laklak wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:You can't trust a politician with a camel toe. Fact!
Dear God, I just had this flash of Theresa May in a bikini.

I need mind bleach, or a DIY lobotomy kit.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 pm

How not to dress for work - https://www.forbes.com/2009/07/22/offic ... ide_2.html

Don't show too much cleavage, don't wear short skirts, don't wear see-through clothing, don't let your undergarments show, don't over-accessorize, don't bring the beach to work....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Forty Two wrote:How not to dress for work - https://www.forbes.com/2009/07/22/offic ... ide_2.html

Don't show too much cleavage, don't wear short skirts, don't wear see-through clothing, don't let your undergarments show, don't over-accessorize, don't bring the beach to work....
I will definitely follow that advice, 42... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 pm

More fashion rules for women - that's what we need. I mean, it's not difficult not to look like a slut so there's no excuse not to make the effort, is there girls?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 am

I got a woody looking at those eyes. She needs to cover them up.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 am

Brian Peacock wrote:More fashion rules for women - that's what we need. I mean, it's not difficult not to look like a slut so there's no excuse not to make the effort, is there girls?
Aren't there only more fashion rules for women because the general rules are less strict for women, and they have far more options than men in the first place?

Men have stricter rules and fewer options, so there isn't a need for "more" rules. Example - if men showed their chests at work, then there'd be a need for a special rule as to how much was appropriate. But, since the general rule applicable to men keeps us buttoned up to our necks, or at most a polo shirt or v-neck, there's no need for it. Same with sleeves - no need to discuss how much arm is professional - men just wear regular shirts.

Where is the sexism towards women in dress codes? Where's the unfairness toward them?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 am

Just scrap clothes and grow hair again.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:More fashion rules for women - that's what we need. I mean, it's not difficult not to look like a slut so there's no excuse not to make the effort, is there girls?
Aren't there only more fashion rules for women because the general rules are less strict for women, and they have far more options than men in the first place?

Men have stricter rules and fewer options, so there isn't a need for "more" rules. Example - if men showed their chests at work, then there'd be a need for a special rule as to how much was appropriate. But, since the general rule applicable to men keeps us buttoned up to our necks, or at most a polo shirt or v-neck, there's no need for it. Same with sleeves - no need to discuss how much arm is professional - men just wear regular shirts.

Where is the sexism towards women in dress codes? Where's the unfairness toward them?
Who decides these 'strict' fashion rules for men, and who enforces them?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 16, 2017 12:32 pm

The same people who decide the rules for women, and enforce them. :tea: