Guvment Diet

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Guvment Diet

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 am

Should the government attempt to regulate our diets to make us healthier, and more responsible consumers?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Guvment Diet

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:29 am

:dance:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:31 am

They can regulate anything except my gin consumption...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:33 am

They can regulate my smegma.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:34 am

Brian Peacock wrote:

:dance:
:bender:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:36 am

JimC wrote:They can regulate anything except my gin consumption...
We'll need gin soaked pirates to run the good food. :cheers:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 am

Sean Hayden wrote:Should the government attempt to regulate our diets to make us healthier, and more responsible consumers?
As much as people roll their eyes at this debate, it's actually a tricky subject. So tricky that I'm not going to comment further just yet ..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 am

pErvin wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:Should the government attempt to regulate our diets to make us healthier, and more responsible consumers?
As much as people roll their eyes at this debate, it's actually a tricky subject. So tricky that I'm not going to comment further just yet ..
A certain amount of financial incentive is, I think, reasonable. For example the current Oz GST does not apply to foods like fresh fruit, vegetables or meat, but does apply to processed foods such as a store-bought cake, which at least is in the right direction. Whether it is enough is another matter...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:44 am

No people should eat whatever they like, and die young if that is what they want.

:lay: Nanny-Statist! :lay:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

I suppose one might consider diet a public health issue, in some senses at least. Yeah, people should eat what they like - we each have personal dominion over our bodies and carry ultimate responsibility for what we put in it. But for some that free choice, and thus the extent of that responsibility, is limited or skewed because, say, there isn't much to choose from or we can only eat what we can afford, etc. Also, a significant proportion of the population have next to no choice about what they eat and mostly just eat what they're told to - that group being children.

Telling your children to, "Shut up and eat your lard," is not being responsible, particularly if lard is a major component of every meal time. With all the information around about the probable health consequences associated with an over-consumption of dietary fats then continuing to pump your kids full of foodstuffs weeping with saturated and trans fats does start to look a bit like abuse - even if lardy cakes taste absolutely delicious.

Having lardy cakes every day as an adult may be a free choice, to some extent, but if lardy cakes start to become a problem for you--you just don't want to put those things in your mouth any more but can't seem to help yourself--then help should be available.

What choice did these 'little' tikes have?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm

:this: is well worth pondering.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote: What choice did these 'little' tikes have?
We in Africa live in mud huts and eat roots.
:sulk:
Do you hear us complaining?
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Sorry. I didn't mean to be insensitive raindear. I know that one of those kids would feed your village for a week.

:tea:

Frank Zappa

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:14 pm

True dat.
BArF−4

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I suppose one might consider diet a public health issue, in some senses at least. Yeah, people should eat what they like - we each have personal dominion over our bodies and carry ultimate responsibility for what we put in it. But for some that free choice, and thus the extent of that responsibility, is limited or skewed because, say, there isn't much to choose from or we can only eat what we can afford, etc. Also, a significant proportion of the population have next to no choice about what they eat and mostly just eat what they're told to - that group being children.

Telling your children to, "Shut up and eat your lard," is not being responsible, particularly if lard is a major component of every meal time. With all the information around about the probable health problems associated with an over-consumption of dietary fats then continuing to pump your kids full of foodstuffs weeping with saturated and trans fats does start to look a bit like abuse - even if lardy cakes taste absolutely delicious.

Having lardy cakes every day as an adult may be a free choice, to some extent, but if lardy cakes start to become a problem for you--you just don't want to put those things in your mouth any more but can't seem to help yourself--then help should be available.

What choice did these 'little' tikes have?

The Michelin Man as a child.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.