Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies courses?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Gender Studies - what is taught in gender studies course

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:22 am

Articles in the Age newspaper over the last few years, actually, commenting on many of the issues in this thread. Many were by what I would call mainstream feminists, and some of the issues discussed involved critiques of the extreme positions of some academic feminists.

But perhaps such balanced commentary simply doesn't occur in the US... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:36 am

Not in 'persecuted white liberal' land.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:17 am

JimC wrote:Articles in the Age newspaper over the last few years, actually, commenting on many of the issues in this thread. Many were by what I would call mainstream feminists, and some of the issues discussed involved critiques of the extreme positions of some academic feminists.

Perhaps not. In the US, and I believe Canada too, the "balance" is nonexistent, or virtually nonexistent. As I mentioned, we have folks like Christina Hoff Sommers, but they are lambasted by mainstream feminists, who accuse her of hate speech and shout down her presentations on college campuses.f

Any links? Titles? Authors? I'd love to see mainstream feminists critiquing extreme feminist positions.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 am

pErvin wrote:
On what articles Jim has been reading. :fp:
That isn't at all what you wrote.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:21 am

[quote="pErvin"]
As I said, I'm making the extraordinary leap of faith that there are sensible article on the subject, like there are sensible articles on EVERY SUBJECT IN THE HISTORY OF SUBJECTS! :fp: And you agreed above that this isn't actually that big a leap to make. So you are just arguing now for the sake of arguing.

[quote]

I agreed that it is certainly "possible." However, acknowledging a possibility is not the same thing as demonstrating an actual fact.

If it is so obvious to you that there should be sensible articles on the subject - then where are the sensible articles? What are they? Why is it like pulling teeth to get a citation?

And, if you don't know of any, then of what import is the POSSIBILITY that there may be some out there?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote: As I said, I'm making the extraordinary leap of faith that there are sensible article on the subject, like there are sensible articles on EVERY SUBJECT IN THE HISTORY OF SUBJECTS! :fp: And you agreed above that this isn't actually that big a leap to make. So you are just arguing now for the sake of arguing.
I agreed that it is certainly "possible." However, acknowledging a possibility is not the same thing as demonstrating an actual fact.

If it is so obvious to you that there should be sensible articles on the subject - then where are the sensible articles? What are they? Why is it like pulling teeth to get a citation?
Because you are shifting the goal posts in the hope that the focus will shift from the fact that your articles and videos are more often than not highly sarcastic and/or biased. That's the only point I made and it's all I'm interested in commenting on.

ps. stop fucking up the quoting.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:47 pm

pErvin, you clearly dont know of any examples.

Doesnt matter if they exist or not - if you dont know of any, you must be MRA. I understand your reluctance to admit it, so I'll just move on to seeing of anyone else can say hwat sources offer reasonable examples of reasonable gender studies programs.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:50 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote: As I said, I'm making the extraordinary leap of faith that there are sensible article on the subject, like there are sensible articles on EVERY SUBJECT IN THE HISTORY OF SUBJECTS! :fp: And you agreed above that this isn't actually that big a leap to make. So you are just arguing now for the sake of arguing.

Because you are shifting the goal posts in the hope that the focus will shift from the fact that your articles and videos are more often than not highly sarcastic and/or biased. That's the only point I made and it's all I'm interested in commenting on.

ps. stop fucking up the quoting.
The goalposts haven't shifted.

what are the unbiased and non-sarcastic articles?

The article in the OP is not sarcastic. What's the bias of the author?

Your generalized comments are just unsubstantiated bullshit, as usual.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:The article in the OP is not sarcastic.
Care to try that again with a straight face?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:Articles in the Age newspaper over the last few years, actually, commenting on many of the issues in this thread. Many were by what I would call mainstream feminists, and some of the issues discussed involved critiques of the extreme positions of some academic feminists.

Perhaps not. In the US, and I believe Canada too, the "balance" is nonexistent, or virtually nonexistent. As I mentioned, we have folks like Christina Hoff Sommers, but they are lambasted by mainstream feminists, who accuse her of hate speech and shout down her presentations on college campuses.f

Any links? Titles? Authors? I'd love to see mainstream feminists critiquing extreme feminist positions.
These are past newspaper articles, but next time I read one, I'll try to quote it here.

Now don't get me wrong; the particular articles you quote from time to time do, of course, demonstrate some quite extreme and absurd positions by the academic feminist brigade in the US, accompanied by defensive assertions that it is actually immoral to question them. I'm sure that somewhere in Australian university humanities departments there lurks similar creatures. What I am certain of, though, is that their actual influence and effects in Australian society is fairly minimal.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:40 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The article in the OP is not sarcastic.
Care to try that again with a straight face?
Here is the article:
http://quillette.com/2016/08/26/what-i- ... s-classes/

So, you think this author is trying to be mockingly or contemptuously humorous, by conveying meaning using language which normally signifies the opposite?

How so? Where is the sarcasm in this article?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm

A ballsy article on feminist theory - http://www.quillette.com/2018/01/02/no- ... ist-theory

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Very interesting article, and pretty much sums up my approach to modern "feminist thought".

I just saw a FB meme about having many genders and gender fluidity What does that actually mean? I'm asking seriously here. I don't understand what they mean when they say "gender" in this context. Are they talking about "feeling" one is male or female or something else? What is the something else? Do they sometimes feel like a male and sometimes like a female and sometimes like a donkey or a chicken or a tardigrade? I honestly don't understand it. Perhaps I can't understand because I'm quite happy with my dick and cannot conceive of not having it (WTF would I hold while I sleep?). I can (maybe) sort of understand not feeling any gender (think soy boy), but other than male, female and none, what other genders are there? Is this where "otherkin" and suchlike nonsense comes in?

Truly, I am mystified. Can anyone explain it to a 63 year old cis-gendered, straight, white male in terms I can understand? Keep it to small words and elementary concepts, please, I'm working from a disadvantage here, toxic testosterone has rotted my brain.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Gender is the social sex. It refers to the stereotypic roles/behaviours that society assigns to certain sexes. Gender-fluid people are people that change over time which of these stereotypic roles they assume.

It has nothing do to with your dick.

But there are certain behaviours that society expects from you because you are male and others society would consider awkward because you are a male. For you, it would not feel comfortable to do stuff that is usually considered to be typically female. Subconsciously, you will most of the time follow these stereotypes. For gender-fluid people, what role they feel most comfortable in and which role they assume subconsciously, changes over time.

For, example, there are different ways males and females are supposed to dress and have their hair. You will feel uncomfortable when wearing clothes that are deemed to be clothes for women. For gender-fluid people, they do sometimes feel more comfortable wearing women's clothing and do sometimes feel more comfortable wearing men's clothing.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Men cannot know how women feel, according to feminists, but according to the trans community men can know that they feel like women.... even though there is no right way for a man or a woman to feel, and that such norms are not real, so a being masculine and feminine are not what it means to be male or female gendered -- men and women can feel like anything and still feel like men and women -- one man can feel manly but assess that as being female, and one can feel girly and assess that too as feeling like a male -- one woman can feel manly and still be female gendered and a woman can feel girly and consider herself male gendered.

Bottom line is there is no internal consistency and the words mean whatever one wants them to mean. If a woman says she can "feel" like a man, it doesn't matter that she can have no frame of reference as to what a man feels like, because, well, according to the new logic, she/zhe/zir/he doesn't need a frame of reference because the only thing that makes her/zhim/him a woman is her own choice on the matter or her own interpretation of her feelings about it -- she's not a she to begin with unless she says so -- so she feels like a man, she is a man. Genitals have nothing to do with being male or female, and neither does genetics/DNA. So, it can no longer be said that a woman cannot know she feels like a man. If she feels like a man, she was always a man, unless she feels different tomorrow, then she was always a woman, but mistaken, or she is "fluid" and can change with the wind.