Nuclear Power

DRSB

Re: Atomic Energy

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:46 am

Not a good time to buy land in Florida!
Last year, a massive 583-square-kilometre (225-square-mile) chunk of the Pine Island Glacier - a vast section of ice that holds the West Antarctic ice sheet together - broke free, heading out into the ocean to eventually melt and raise sea levels across the world.

Now, new evidence from satellite imagery suggests that this break was caused by a rupture in the shelf 32 kilometres (20 miles) inland, indicating that the glacier is actually breaking apart from the inside, and not the periphery, as scientists had long suspected. And even worse - a second inland rift is now reportedly forming.
http://www.sciencealert.com/the-west-an ... chers-find

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 am

Hermit wrote:Even though serious proposals have been tabled recently to bury radioactive waste in my neighbourhood I am in favour of electricity production using nuclear reactors. It is a lot cleaner and safer than any fossil fuel source. Still, looking at the estimated uranium reserves, it can only be a stopgap measure. Even coal and shale oil resources will outlast them.
I have always though that a useful possibility in Oz would be a nuclear power plant (or plants) next to an outback Uranium mine, complete with an enrichment facility, and underground waste storage. This means overall security could be excellent, and no long-distance transport of fuel rods or waste. A one-stop-shop...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:Even though serious proposals have been tabled recently to bury radioactive waste in my neighbourhood I am in favour of electricity production using nuclear reactors. It is a lot cleaner and safer than any fossil fuel source. Still, looking at the estimated uranium reserves, it can only be a stopgap measure. Even coal and shale oil resources will outlast them.
I have always though that a useful possibility in Oz would be a nuclear power plant (or plants) next to an outback Uranium mine, complete with an enrichment facility, and underground waste storage. This means overall security could be excellent, and no long-distance transport of fuel rods or waste. A one-stop-shop...
Generating electricity near the energy source does not make economic sense. The cost of power masts and lines, and the need for constant maintenance and repair plus transmission loss makes it heaps cheaper to transport the uranium to a nuclear reactor that is located relatively near the area where the electricity is consumed. South Australia's electricity prices are the highest in Australia because we import the majority of it from Victoria. A couple of months ago 22 main masts were flattened by a storm, which caused a chain reaction that finished up leaving the entire state without power. Some areas went without it for a week. So, no, not a useful possibility.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:36 am

laklak wrote:The low level stuff can be a bit of a problem, but we've got a lot of desert.
A LOT! A fuck-ton in fact. I've just driven through much of it. Anybody who says the planet is overpopulated has never been to Nevada.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:38 am

JimC wrote:I have no intrinsic objection to nuclear power, as long as the engineering is done expertly, and good systems are in place for waste management.

That is not always the case..
True. So don't hire French or Russian engineers. I'd hire Israeli engineers. They can make them bomb-proof...literally.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:43 am

DRSB wrote:Not a good time to buy land in Florida!
Last year, a massive 583-square-kilometre (225-square-mile) chunk of the Pine Island Glacier - a vast section of ice that holds the West Antarctic ice sheet together - broke free, heading out into the ocean to eventually melt and raise sea levels across the world.

Now, new evidence from satellite imagery suggests that this break was caused by a rupture in the shelf 32 kilometres (20 miles) inland, indicating that the glacier is actually breaking apart from the inside, and not the periphery, as scientists had long suspected. And even worse - a second inland rift is now reportedly forming.
Well, except for one small problem with the physics...the ice they are talking about was already floating in the ocean, which is why it could "break loose" in the first place. Therefore, its mass is already accounted for in existing sea levels, and because ice shrinks when it melts, sea levels will actually go down microscopically when it melts.

Only ice that is on land and has not yet entered the ocean can increase the volume of the ocean. Derp de derp derp. :prof:

See the kind of fucknut pseudo-science the MSM/AGW conspirators try to foist off on the credulous public?

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:45 am

JimC wrote:
Yup...except for the transmission losses it's a great idea. Would require a massive investment in high capacity power lines. Superconductors would do the trick if they were commercially viable and cheap enough to string thousands of miles. Still, it's not a bad idea at all, particularly since I don't think there's anybody around outback uranium mines to bitch about it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:54 am

JimC wrote:
Remember you need a permanent and reliable water source for a nuclear plant.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:39 am

The new generation nuclear plants recycle the existing waste to generate a manifold amount of energy while reducing the radioactivity in the process so that the waste must be buried for 100 years, nowhere near the 10'000 ones currently expected for the waste of the old generation plants. A win-win really!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:42 am

Seth wrote:

Well, except for one small problem with the physics...the ice they are talking about was already floating in the ocean, which is why it could "break loose" in the first place. Therefore, its mass is already accounted for in existing sea levels, and because ice shrinks when it melts, sea levels will actually go down microscopically when it melts.

Only ice that is on land and has not yet entered the ocean can increase the volume of the ocean. Derp de derp derp. :prof:

See the kind of fucknut pseudo-science the MSM/AGW conspirators try to foist off on the credulous public?
Why? The article says a second rift is forming that has not yet entered the ocean. :lou:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:51 am

The article clearly states it was an inland glacier (the link to the original article says 20 miles in) which broke off and headed out to the ocean.

Denialists fail yet again.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:59 am

Seth wrote:

Glaciers are ice on land.

Icebergs are bits of glacial ice that have broken off and are floating freely in the ocean.

Stop displaying your ignorance. :doh:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 am

Did anyone honestly expect anything else from him?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

DRSB

Nuclear Power

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 am

Kindly merge with the Atomenergie-thread!

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: Nuclear Power

Post by cronus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:59 am

DRSB wrote:Kindly merge with the Atomenergie-thread!
Risking a critical mass and China Syndrome. :tea:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?