Universal Basic Income thread

Would you support it if it was economically cheaper than your current welfare system?

Yes
38%
Yes, why wouldn't I?
44%
No
6%
No, class warfare for me!
No votes
No (== Seth)
No votes
Cheese
6%
Dev
6%

Total votes: 16

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Universal Basic Income thread

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:36 am

Here they are usually part of the junction and get green when the cars get green. There is no separate phase as in some countries ie Japan. Turning traffic always has to give way to pedestrians who have the green light.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Zebras have the right of way at all times. As do giraffes, hippos, rhino, and lions. Monkeys can fuck right off, the little shits.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:33 pm

:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm

laklak wrote:I'm all for it. Bring it on. I figure my most basic income, that would support me in the style to which I would like to be (and deserve to be) accustomed, is about $10,000 a month. OK, I'll likely do without my daily beluga and Dom, but I can make do if y'all can.
To be fair, the MBI must be weighted so that disfavored groups and marginalized classes have a higher MBI than the majority. So, you, as a member of the white, cis-heteronormative patriarchy, will be receiving the least. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair or equal.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm

NineBerry wrote:This is fully legit. There were documentaries on the television recently on people who had won last year. You don't need to pay anything to participate. You just need to give complete and correct details on name and address as in your passport (so that they can check no one registers twice).
If they already have a list of everybody to check everybody against, then why don't they just put everyone into the lottery? Avoid the administrative cost of having people sign up, since they don't have to pay anything to be in the mix anyway.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm

An UBI will not differentiate between different groups (except maybe age groups). However, there will hopefully still be an additional system that provides additional support for needy people like for example people with disabilities.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Forty Two wrote:
NineBerry wrote:This is fully legit. There were documentaries on the television recently on people who had won last year. You don't need to pay anything to participate. You just need to give complete and correct details on name and address as in your passport (so that they can check no one registers twice).
If they already have a list of everybody to check everybody against, then why don't they just put everyone into the lottery? Avoid the administrative cost of having people sign up, since they don't have to pay anything to be in the mix anyway.

This is a private lottery. It is not connected to the government in any way.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Ah, gotcha. Thnks.