Universal Basic Income thread

Would you support it if it was economically cheaper than your current welfare system?

Yes
38%
Yes, why wouldn't I?
44%
No
6%
No, class warfare for me!
No votes
No (== Seth)
No votes
Cheese
6%
Dev
6%

Total votes: 16

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Universal Basic Income thread

Post by laklak » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm

And they'd be first in line for the Soylent tanks.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:01 pm

I guess the bureaucracy won't be fans of UBI... :?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:44 pm

It can only operate in certain political systems and America is not one of them. It does even know who is living in the country never mind who is unemployed just like Britain but on a mega scale.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Having such an open immigration system, and not having mandatory national registration poses a bit of a problem, indeed. The US would probably have to make receipt of the basic income on proof of citizenship, but that would be difficult because of we can hardly get proof of identity, much less citizenship, requirements for voting. How will we be able to get past that resistance to allow verification of entitlement to minimum basic income?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:Having such an open immigration system, and not having mandatory national registration poses a bit of a problem, indeed. The US would probably have to make receipt of the basic income on proof of citizenship, but that would be difficult because of we can hardly get proof of identity, much less citizenship, requirements for voting. How will we be able to get past that resistance to allow verification of entitlement to minimum basic income?
Are all births, deaths and marriages registered? Being such a big country you could easily imagine that this does not always happen in certain communities.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 pm

I don't think there is generally a legal requirement to register births. It's difficult in practice not to, so most everyone is.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:36 pm

On the contrary, every state in the US has a law requiring registration of birth.
Table 1 shows the year in which the laws that established mandatory birth registration at the state level were passed and the year in which the state was incorporated into the National Birth Registration area.

[source]
Not included in the table are Alaska ("Alaska started requiring the registration of births in 1913 after becoming a territory in 1912.") and Hawaii ("The first laws requiring reporting of births and marriages began in 1842, but many of those early records have not survived. In 1896, the Department of Health was given the responsibility for registering births.")

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 pm

You're right. I was thinking it was treated the similar to a social security card. There is no federal registration of births, but the states do have birth certificate requirements. There are exceptions, though, like the Amish and Mennonites.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Requiring registration means it is required but is it breaking the law not registering. Here it is considered a serious offence.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Requiring registration means it is required but is it breaking the law not registering. Here it is considered a serious offence.
Depends on the state, but generally a misdemeanor criminal offense for a willful violation.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:07 pm

That doesn't help with immigrants, though.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't see the issue. Any form of government benefits needs some form of registration. In a basic income scenario, you certainly need to be registered to receive the basic income. Just as today you need to be registered in some form to receive benefits or food stamps

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Forty Two wrote:You're right.
What have you done with Forty Two?!?

:hairfire:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:55 pm

NineBerry wrote:I don't see the issue. Any form of government benefits needs some form of registration. In a basic income scenario, you certainly need to be registered to receive the basic income. Just as today you need to be registered in some form to receive benefits or food stamps
Here you have register just to live at your address. Dont you have to in Germany? In Belgium, France,Spain and Portugal you have to and I think Italy as well. It is an old Napoleonic thing.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Sure, it is treated very strict in Germany, as well. But when we are talking about England or the US, having a basic income would not need to do much more than is done today for people who want to receive the money. When you have government benefits, you always need a means to make sure no one gets them multiple times. When having a universal basic income, this just means that nearly everyone will want to register.