Problematic Stuff

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm not fat - I just need a hair cut.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:40 pm

JimC wrote:
rainbow wrote:
laklak wrote:Cowboys and Schoolmarms? Mandingo and Southern Belles? Jehovah's Witnesses and Phlebotomists?

The possibilities are endless.
Missionaries and Cannibals.
What's your real position on missionaries?
Still one of the favourites.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Would a party theme of 'Mature feminists and Social Justice Warriors' be problematic? What exactly does 'problematic' mean?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Problematic means that it's objectionable.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:Problematic means that it's objectionable.
So everything is problematic then. I understand, thanks.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Absolutely. Everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic.

That's intersectional feminism.

We have a systemically racist, sexist and homophobic society, with white male CIS at the top, oppressing everyone, and there is no way for a white male CIS person to be anything but racist, sexist and homophobic. The -isms are baked into the system, so we are guilty by being white, male and CIS.

And that's not hyperbole or parody -- that's a fairly neutral recitation of what intersectional feminists believe.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:14 pm

I meant it a bit more than my response suggested.

The word 'problematic' doesn't mean much to me. I think referring to something as a problem would be just as effective. Something about the word (is it even a real word?) suggests adding syllables to make it sound like more...
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Cunt wrote:I meant it a bit more than my response suggested.

The word 'problematic' doesn't mean much to me. I think referring to something as a problem would be just as effective. Something about the word (is it even a real word?) suggests adding syllables to make it sound like more...
In common parlance, it's horse shit.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:58 pm

They just need a good rodgering, sort them out in no time. Probably should bring me a sammich, too.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:24 am

Forty Two wrote:Absolutely. Everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic.

That's intersectional feminism.

We have a systemically racist, sexist and homophobic society, with white male CIS at the top, oppressing everyone, and there is no way for a white male CIS person to be anything but racist, sexist and homophobic. The -isms are baked into the system, so we are guilty by being white, male and CIS.

And that's not hyperbole or parody -- that's a fairly neutral recitation of what intersectional feminists believe.
Nah, I'm pretty sure that's hyperbole.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:31 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Why can't it be both?

Whenever someone steps up to defend feminism, it is the dictionary definition they use.

Whenever someone states something 'as a feminist' or 'as a gender-studies major', it comes off sounding like asshole-ism and bigotry wrapped in horn-rimmed glasses, obesity and brightly coloured hair.

Are you a feminist? Which sort?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:45 am

Cunt wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Why can't it be both?
Because it would be an oxymoron.

And i'm pretty sure it's hyperbole as I don't think intersectional feminism says that every CIS white man is a sexist and racist.
I consider myself a feminist. The sort that would like discrimination against women reduced. And also, not that I've studied it that much, one that believes in the concept of a "patriarchy" - that is, a system that disadvantages both women and men by pigeon-holing them into societal roles.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:58 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Cunt wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Why can't it be both?

And i'm pretty sure it's hyperbole as I don't think intersectional feminism says that every CIS white man is a sexist and racist.
I consider myself a feminist. The sort that would like discrimination against women reduced. And also, not that I've studied it that much, one that believes in the concept of a "patriarchy" - that is, a system that disadvantages both women and men by pigeon-holing them into societal roles.
So you believe in it, but don't know what it is?

I'll give you a hint - it's similar to the boogeyman...all scare with no substance.

If there is a patriarchy, it built the world we live in, including the equality we are working toward.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 am

Cunt wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Cunt wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Why can't it be both?

So you believe in it, but don't know what it is?
That's not what I said. I know broadly what it is, without knowing all the minutiae.
I'll give you a hint - it's similar to the boogeyman...all scare with no substance.

If there is a patriarchy, it built the world we live in, including the equality we are working toward.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Racism built the world we live in, including the equality we are working toward, therefore racism is good?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:44 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
That's not what I said. I know broadly what it is, without knowing all the minutiae.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Racism built the world we live in, including the equality we are working toward, therefore racism is good?
The point is that no-one has bothered to provide a reasonable explanation of what the patriarchy is, at least no better than the bogeyman.

Racism did build the world. (xenophobia would be a better word, though)

We discarded most of it, since it outlived its usefulness.

The 'patriarchy' however, is quite different. Racism refers to clear behaviours which can usually be described well enough to identify. You can look at something and see that it is, or is not racism.

You can't do that with patriarchy. EVERYTHING is patriarchy. So I lump it in with the bogeyman.

I notice you still didn't answer though. I asked you which kind of feminist you were, and you pulled a 'Forty Two' rather than answering.

Which really, is answer enough. You don't want to say. I accept your dodge, and raise you a non-sequitor.

So how about those Mets?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: