Problematic Stuff

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Problematic Stuff

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 am

Those guys can be some weird motherfuckers. You have to grow up in it man, that's the only way. I just can't imagine adopting it later on in life.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 am

I wonder how many of them have had an evangelical upbringing and percussive trauma to the head.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 am

They have been infected by a particularly nasty viral meme...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 am

what's with Merkins setting crosses on fire?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:50 am

Seems a bit un-christian like.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 am

Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war...
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Seabass wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:59 am
New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media
The “enemy of the people” talk is working. A plurality of self-identified Republicans say they want Trump to have the power to take “bad” media outlets out.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-poll- ... down-media
Very concerning. It shows why a rock-solid constitutional provision concerning freedom of speech and the press is so important. Leaving such things up to the viscissitudes of the voting public is a bad idea, as is allowing any inroad to have government set orthodoxy or determine truth.
These are the people you side with in supporting Trump. You'd think this would make you second guess your support..
There are people of that level of idiocy on the side of the Democrats, too. I don't gauge my support of a politician on who the idiots support. If I did that, I'd never support any politician or candidate. in the arena of freedom of speech, progressive morons openly eschew freedom of speech. Some of the idiots of that ilk say "free speech" and "truth" are nothing more than white racist supremacist oppressive social constructs. I wouldn't expect anyone to second guess their support of progressive candidates for public office, just because some of their ilk take nonsense like that seriously.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 am
Ultimately, blame the Scots. :leave:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 am
Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war...
That's an English hymn.

"We sang "Onward, Christian Soldiers" indeed, and I felt that this was no vain presumption, but that we had the right to feel that we were serving a cause for the sake of which a trumpet has sounded from on high. When I looked upon that densely packed congregation of fighting men of the same language, of the same faith, of the same fundamental laws, of the same ideals ... it swept across me that here was the only hope, but also the sure hope, of saving the world from measureless degradation."

— Winston Churchill, explaining why he chose the hymn to be played when he and Frankie Roosevelt met on a battleship in 1941.

...such sexist and xenophobic hate speech! :-)

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 pm
Hopefully, these fine people will prevail over those dangerous and violent SJWs!

Hopefully, those aren't the only two options.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 pm
42, "taking out" "bad media outlets" is a dangerous, sweeping assault on the media and free speech in general. It cannot be compared with proposed narrowly targeted restrictions on true hate speech against people of different colour. Having said that, some on the left tend to broaden suggested targeted restrictions to absurd degrees, which I would oppose - few here support general restrictions based on political correctness alone...
I disagree that it cannot be compared to what you describe as narrowly targeted restrictions, because those restrictions tend not to stay narrow and what some people say are narrow are (as you say) drawn absurdly broad (and are often applied with a double standard - it's racist if white people say it, but not if a "marginalized person" says it - and that's not even an unusual opinion on the topic from the left). Further, the left side of the spectrum had no qualms with talking about fake news from the right, and how it should be regulated and controlled - including on social media.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 am
Ultimately, blame the Scots. :leave:
Ah dinna ken whut ye be a meanin'
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm
JimC wrote:
42, "taking out" "bad media outlets" is a dangerous, sweeping assault on the media and free speech in general. It cannot be compared with proposed narrowly targeted restrictions on true hate speech against people of different colour. Having said that, some on the left tend to broaden suggested targeted restrictions to absurd degrees, which I would oppose - few here support general restrictions based on political correctness alone...
I disagree that it cannot be compared to what you describe as narrowly targeted restrictions, because those restrictions tend not to stay narrow
Please show where hate speech laws haven't stayed narrow.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm
JimC wrote:
I disagree that it cannot be compared to what you describe as narrowly targeted restrictions, because those restrictions tend not to stay narrow
Please show where hate speech laws haven't stayed narrow.
Exactly! 42 waves his arms about, excitedly claiming that the fringe chat from a small section of the left has already become law, and is oppressing his rights!
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 pm

I predict a link to Jordan Peterson claiming something about Canada, as if we haven't taken that totally to pieces 15 times before.