The Electoral College

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: The Electoral College

Post by Tero » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Wonder what that was?

I wrote two posts in a dying forum in Finnish. I tried google translate on it:

” That question is, in that sense, necessary to ask that the current policy aims at the fact that about half of the people would be in favor of both parties. There is no one in politics unless their own party ever win. Thus, these Trump or Bush situations will always be more. Because the sounds go about 50/50 almost always. Obama was an exception.

The Trump, as revolutionary as he was, was no exception.

If the sounds (votes!) of a sub-state can not be counted or the winner is not found, the Governor usually has to decide. This is, I think, wrong in the presidential election. The senator is OK, there is only a question from the state of the 2 states.”

It almost made sense. Votes are voices in Finnish. You voice when you vote.

What I was truing to say is that it may be OK for a governor to decide who is a senator, in a tie. But the presidential election is special. The governor does not represent me. The population as a whole should choose a president. No electors, no middle men. A two stage election takes place in countries with many parties.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 pm

The videos attempt to explain the Electoral College.

There are some omissions and inaccuracies in the Disney video, but the first one is rather glaring: "Romans didn't want the rich to have too much power." It goes on to describe what it calls the "Centurial Assembly." However, in the Centurial (more commonly called Centuriate) Assembly, the patricians always voted first, and had enough votes to determine the outcome of the overall vote. The voting would be suspended once a majority had been determined, and therefore the plebian centuries often didn't get a chance to vote. From a democratic point of view the Centuriate Assembly was a slight improvement over the previous Curiate Assembly in which only patricians could vote, however in practice the patrician class didn't actually lose power.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:51 pm

States have tried to sidestep the EC votes. They wrote laws where all the votes go to the popular vote winner.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Tero wrote:Wonder what that was?

I wrote two posts in a dying forum in Finnish. I tried google translate on it:

” That question is, in that sense, necessary to ask that the current policy aims at the fact that about half of the people would be in favor of both parties. There is no one in politics unless their own party ever win. Thus, these Trump or Bush situations will always be more. Because the sounds go about 50/50 almost always. Obama was an exception.

The Trump, as revolutionary as he was, was no exception.

If the sounds (votes!) of a sub-state can not be counted or the winner is not found, the Governor usually has to decide. This is, I think, wrong in the presidential election. The senator is OK, there is only a question from the state of the 2 states.”

It almost made sense. Votes are voices in Finnish. You voice when you vote.

What I was truing to say is that it may be OK for a governor to decide who is a senator, in a tie. But the presidential election is special. The governor does not represent me. The population as a whole should choose a president. No electors, no middle men. A two stage election takes place in countries with many parties.
The same in Dutch; 'stemmen' (voices). A polling station is a 'stemlokaal' (voice room).

The trouble with the American voting system starts at the beginning with registration and then just gets worse. Along with gerrymandering it is a mess.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 am

To me, the key problems for all systems of representative democracy, in no particular order, are:
* gerrymandering
* payments by vested interests to election campaigns to either parties or candidates
* issues with voter registration (in some countries)
* electoral fraud in general (in some countries)
* the tendency of people nominating for political positions to be more interested in petty power games rather than substantial issues
* the lack of long term vision, exacerbated by sound-bite media, the attention span of voters and the relatively short election cycle
* party politics and bitter political rivalry leading to increasing polarisation coupled with voter cynicism
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 am

The biggest and most intractable problem in politics is politicians. They stink on ice, and should have had their heads pinched off at birth.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 am

Yeah, it takes a special guy, who hates government to go and work in government. Libertarians.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 pm

laklak wrote:The biggest and most intractable problem in politics is politicians. They stink on ice, and should have had their heads pinched off at birth.
Don't be so sure. One of Trump's main selling points was that he wasn't a professional politician.

Look what happened there!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 pm

A so called business man who has been bankrupt 9 times. Must have surely rang bells.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".