What's the name for a baby ape?

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

What's the name for a baby ape?

Post by Pappa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am

Received wisdom says that most people (consciously or otherwise) believe humans are separate from and superior to the rest of the animal kingdom. Even today, this appears to be the case. In English, we have names for the young of thousands of animals, but all apes; chimps, orangutans, gorillas and humans have young called babies or infants. The English speaking world has been aware of other ape species for a long, long time before Darwin quietly ; why don't we have separate names for their young?

A quick google suggest we call all baby primates babies or infants too.

My guess is that, deep down, we've always known we're closely linked to all other primates and used the term which would appear most appropriate, regardless of what cultural or religious dogma was telling us.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

charlou
arseist

Re: What's the name for a baby ape?

Post by charlou » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:05 am

Pappa wrote:Received wisdom says that most people (consciously or otherwise) believe humans are separate from and superior to the rest of the animal kingdom. Even today, this appears to be the case. In English, we have names for the young of thousands of animals, but all apes; chimps, orangutans, gorillas and humans have young called babies or infants. The English speaking world has been aware of other ape species for a long, long time before Darwin quietly ; why don't we have separate names for their young?

A quick google suggest we call all baby primates babies or infants too.

My guess is that, deep down, we've always known we're closely linked to all other primates and used the term which would appear most appropriate, regardless of what cultural or religious dogma was telling us.
I think it's easier to feel empathy with other creatures that nurture and nurse their young in such a similar way to the way we do it. Just the primate way of cradling a baby in arms is evocative of human behaviour. It's familiar ...

I think you're right about a subconscious sense, or recognition, of some sort of ... kinship?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: What's the name for a baby ape?

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:15 am

Pappa wrote:The English speaking world has been aware of other ape species for a long, long time before Darwin quietly ; why don't we have separate names for their young?
Actually, we do, and computer programmers have adopted one of them for small software utilities. They call them applets.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould