Social Credit - 1984 comes 2020.

Social Credit - 1984 comes 2020.

Postby Rum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm

China is doing this shit. Don't be fooled that they are something they would rather we didn't think they are. http://technode.com/2017/08/23/chinas-s ... y-culture/

China's Social Credit System: AI-driven panopticon or fragmented foundation for a sincerity culture?

China’s Social Credit System, a government initiative which aims to assign a “social credit” rating to every citizen based on their financial behavior, personal information, and online activity, has earned a bad reputation abroad, including comparisons to an episode of “Black Mirror.” According to critics, the data-based, AI-driven system is more suited for comprehensive social control than keeping tabs on individuals’ financial state like credit score rankings devised in the West.

The trouble with most of this characterization is that it fails to recognize just how fragmented digital credit score-keeping is in China: it is not a single system, but many.

“I think the biggest misconception about the Social Credit System is that it is this evenly implemented all-seeing central bureaucratic surveillance apparatus,” Shazeda Ahmed, a Berkeley Ph.D. student researching the topic, told TechNode.

Social credit systems are currently being trialed by several provinces and cities, with Shanghai being one of the more famous ones with its “Sincere Shanghai” app. Each area decides its own rules for score keeping.

The ultimate goal is to lay out foundations for an encompassing Social Credit System by 2020 which will integrate not only individual, but also government, legal, and enterprise scoring. The system aims to compensate for underdeveloped credit scoring, but it also aspires to establish a “sincerity culture” by addressing rampant fraud, corruption, and mistrust in the country. And unlike traditional credit scoring which was established by financial agencies and institutions, a significant part of China’s Social Credit System is being built with technology.

Alibaba and Tencent—The social credit vanguard

After the Chinese State Council laid out an outline for building a Social Credit System in 2014, China’s central bank authorized eight Chinese tech companies, including Alibaba and Tencent, to conduct social credit pilot testing. According to Pennsylvania State University Ph.D. candidate Wang Keren, China’s tech giants were the vanguard in building “social trust” by developing e-commerce and online payments rating systems.

“The real drivers of this social credit reform are corporate actors—most notably this emergent generation Chinese ‘new-industrialists’ such as Jack Ma [founder and chairman of Alibaba] and Ma Huateng [founder and chairman of Tencent],” Wang told Technode.

Sesame Credit, run by Alibaba’s Ant Financial, is the now biggest social credit pilot built on the company’s huge trove of information on consumers. The platform, which has seen massive growth in recent years, provides credit information on individuals, as well as enterprises.

Alibaba has been promoting its Sesame Credit by offering users with good scores discounts on air tickets and hotels, deposit waivers on bike and car rentals, and even fast-tracked visas from countries such as Singapore and Luxembourg. The service is also being used as an authentication method for users of the Chinese version of Airbnb and dating site Baihe.
Rum's Second Law of thermodynamics: Everything eventually turns to shit.
Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Social Credit - 1984 comes 2020.

Postby Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 pm

I for one welcome and applaud the excellent work the Chinese government have undertaken to improve the lives of ordinary Chinese citizens. Western governments could learn a lot from the magnificent achievements of a truly visionary leadership which has never wavered in its commitment to bring ever-greater peace and prosperity to the nation, and to the region at large. China surely leads the way as the World transitions into a new, morally superior, golden-age of commerce and social well-begin.

:tea:

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

About me: Ablate me:

Postby JimC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 am

I can scarcely credit it...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!
JimC
The sentimental bloke

About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Postby Tyrannical » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:40 am

China is just Nazi Germany in slooow motion.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.
Tyrannical

Postby laklak » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:59 am

Slant eyed Nazis, the lot of them. Fucking Yellow Peril, can't trust 'em. Good at building railroads, though, and taking care of the feral cat problem.
laklak

About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Postby pErvinalia » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am

Tyrannical wrote:China is just Nazi Germany in slooow motion.
You're Nazi Germany in slow motion.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"You know you blokes didn't criticize Obama. You're lying. - Forty Two. Umm - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42144
pErvinalia
Off his meds

About me: Now with 50% less ranting!

Return to General Serious Discussion & Philosophy