The Problem With Empathy

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

The Problem With Empathy

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Most people see the benefits of empathy as akin to the evils of racism: too obvious to require justification. I think this is a mistake. I have argued elsewhere that certain features of empathy make it a poor guide to social policy. Empathy is biased; we are more prone to feel empathy for attractive people and for those who look like us or share our ethnic or national background. And empathy is narrow; it connects us to particular individuals, real or imagined, but is insensitive to numerical differences and statistical data. As Mother Teresa put it, “If I look at the mass I will never act. If I look at the one, I will.” Laboratory studies find that we really do care more about the one than about the mass, so long as we have personal information about the one.

In light of these features, our public decisions will be fairer and more moral once we put empathy aside.
https://bostonreview.net/forum/paul-blo ... st-empathy

I do wonder though why without empathy caring more for a neighbor than many complete strangers is less good. :ask:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: The Problem With Empathy

Post by Rum » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:23 pm

It is (and I don't see it as a problem) ultimately self serving. Social groups, intuiting what is going on etc.

I blame Darwin.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:50 pm

I think we should acknowledge ownership of our morality. It's not real because it's not universal or distinct from ourselves seems to be the underlying assumption in much of these discussions. I wonder if that's a result of failing to throw off religious woo entirely?

I question the sanity of placing empathy to the side; thinking big picture, long term, is that the morality we want to cultivate?

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:07 pm

It is the same reason diversity programs and quotas fail.

It shouldn’t be surprising that most diversity programs aren’t increasing diversity. Despite a few new bells and whistles, courtesy of big data, companies are basically doubling down on the same approaches they’ve used since the 1960s—which often make things worse, not better. Firms have long relied on diversity training to reduce bias on the job, hiring tests and performance ratings to limit it in recruitment and promotions, and grievance systems to give employees a way to challenge managers. Those tools are designed to preempt lawsuits by policing managers’ thoughts and actions. Yet laboratory studies show that this kind of force-feeding can activate bias rather than stamp it out. As social scientists have found, people often rebel against rules to assert their autonomy. Try to coerce me to do X, Y, or Z, and I’ll do the opposite just to prove that I’m my own person.

https://hbr.org/2016/07/why-diversity-programs-fail
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:57 pm

:console:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:26 am

Empathy often leads to irrational decisions and false beliefs.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:34 am

Too much empathy is really a form of sociopathy. It is actually a form of proxy-narcissism. And can go wrong very easily and turn into malignant jealousy. When you read about these eliminator families very often there is a stifling over close attachment relationship, too much concern focused inwards.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:58 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:It is the same reason diversity programs and quotas fail.

It shouldn’t be surprising that most diversity programs aren’t increasing diversity. Despite a few new bells and whistles, courtesy of big data, companies are basically doubling down on the same approaches they’ve used since the 1960s—which often make things worse, not better. Firms have long relied on diversity training to reduce bias on the job, hiring tests and performance ratings to limit it in recruitment and promotions, and grievance systems to give employees a way to challenge managers. Those tools are designed to preempt lawsuits by policing managers’ thoughts and actions. Yet laboratory studies show that this kind of force-feeding can activate bias rather than stamp it out. As social scientists have found, people often rebel against rules to assert their autonomy. Try to coerce me to do X, Y, or Z, and I’ll do the opposite just to prove that I’m my own person.

What does that have to do with empathy? :think:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Empathy often leads to irrational decisions and false beliefs.
Give me an example.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Crumple wrote:Too much empathy is really a form of sociopathy. It is actually a form of proxy-narcissism. And can go wrong very easily and turn into malignant jealousy. When you read about these eliminator families very often there is a stifling over close attachment relationship, too much concern focused inwards.
This is lazy Scump, been hitting the bong?

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Crumple wrote:Too much empathy is really a form of sociopathy. It is actually a form of proxy-narcissism. And can go wrong very easily and turn into malignant jealousy. When you read about these eliminator families very often there is a stifling over close attachment relationship, too much concern focused inwards.
This is lazy Scump, been hitting the bong?
No, only Guinness, it's the hard stuff for me....
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:46 pm

I've always said I'd be much more empathic if there was more in it for me.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:23 pm

DaveDodo007 wrote:It is the same reason diversity programs and quotas fail.

You'll do the opposite because you're a beta male. :tea: