What are you playing now?

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Animavore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 am

Here's a great Wiki for Dark Souls. It has a ton of information about everything gathered so far. Still a work in progress. Helpful for learning about Covenants and stuff. Wish I'd seen this last night before I joined the covenant I did. I don't want a larval egg growing out off my head :worried:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am

Rum wrote:Bought Rage for PC. It might be OK for consoles but I have made a mistake with this one. I normally never buy a PC game until I have read a review, which I didn't, relying on ID's reputation instead.

Full of graphics bugs, very demanding of hardware and poor gameplay on single player anyway. Blechh!
What sort of bugs? I have a very old PC, and the game runs great and looks amazing. Id released a patch for it yesterday, you should install it if you haven't already.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:39 am

Seabass wrote:
Rum wrote:Bought Rage for PC. It might be OK for consoles but I have made a mistake with this one. I normally never buy a PC game until I have read a review, which I didn't, relying on ID's reputation instead.

Full of graphics bugs, very demanding of hardware and poor gameplay on single player anyway. Blechh!
What sort of bugs? I have a very old PC, and the game runs great and looks amazing. Id released a patch for it yesterday, you should install it if you haven't already.
The first patch made it even worse. In the patch iD used some old GL drivers that made it even more buggy. I hope they get it right this time.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Arrrgh! I killed the Taurus Demon, snuck by the dragon and got poisoned by rats and went all the way back to the burg, where 3 times I went all the way through again without noticing the ladder next to the bonfire. Just killed the tin boar thingy and am still at level 5. Having a hoot though.

Cheers for the Wiki Ani. Actually now I'm getting the hang of it, the Sorceror isn't too bad, the spells are limited but so far they've been almost one-shotting normal enemies.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:23 pm

X3:TC

I is an agent of destruction in my Hyperion Vanguard :)

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm

leo-rcc wrote:
Seabass wrote:

The first patch made it even worse. In the patch iD used some old GL drivers that made it even more buggy. I hope they get it right this time.
I messed up my graphics drivers. I updated them (as recommended on a forum) but had the game running in minimized mode and it has buggered up DLLs and god knows what. So I am stuck with crap graphics.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Have you tried uninstalling your drivers then doing a fresh install?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 pm

I started a new game today. Wasn't happy with the way things were going. I made some silly fuck ups.
Anyway this time I approached the game with a plan. I ran in, sword swinging, completing all objectives I set out for myself quickly and deftly. I kept myself in human form the whole time so I could interact with others.
Lads - you must get into this multiplayer. Every boss I came to there were summon signs on the ground. Like those orange hint signs but white. I used them to bring others into my game to help. And when the bosses were done I relayed the favour by putting my own sign in front of the boss's lair and waited, for no more than a couple of mins, until summoned and helped others defeat their bosses gaining humanity points for every victory.
Due to the thought out, retrospective nature of my play I managed in 9 hours what originally took me 36! That's a whole 4 times faster. And I managed to take in more story as I did so and done everything right. Not one boss defeated me and I only died 3 times.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:45 pm

That is - until I got back to that stupid wolf. :sigh:
I managed to knock a quarter of his energy so, you know, progress.
Actually judging by the tiny dents each strike inflicted I don't think I should be tackling him yet. The fact there was no one around to summon suggests no one in and around my level is going near him. You're matched with people between 5 below and 5 above your level.
And I got some awesome, lightweight armour. I look like a Ringwraith now :mrgreen:

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Ico, PS3. I'm reminded why I fell in love with Yorda the first time around. It's all that hand holding :cry:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:42 am

@ Animavore.

Yep. I forgot you have to log out of the game and did a hard shutdown of my xbox which corrupted the save. Restarted again yesterday, took me about half an hour to get to the armoured boar again rather than all day. I've figured out how to level up, use magic, how armour affects spell damage and all sorts of lovely stuff. Now, if only I can figure out how to get past that big dragon on the bridge I'll be laughing. Don't tell me, I nearly strangled a friend yesterday for "offering a hint".

Bastard.

Dark Souls is the most annoying frustrating and fun thing I've played since WoW dumbed everything down to be winnable by retarded children with no eyes hands or face.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:23 am

But if you got to the boar you've already got past the dragon. I don't get you.

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:39 am

Velvet Assassin, an older game where you play a female British operative behind enemy lines in WW2. Stealth is the name of the game, shooting your way through does not work. Stick to the shadows and hiding places or you are dead. Sneak up on opponents before they turn around or you are dead. Do not try to outrun the guards, you will just die trying. This game requires a lot of patience, and I mean a lot of patience. Sometimes guards will talk to each other for 1-2 minutes and all you can do is wait till they split up. If you get killed before the next checkpoint (which can be a long way away) you can start again and listen to the same conversation again for 1-2 minutes.

Patience, lots and lots of patience.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Animavore wrote:But if you got to the boar you've already got past the dragon. I don't get you.
I snuck under the bridge, past the rats and up, but the gate to bonfire behind is locked unless you run under the frigging thing. It's okay, I solved it. Currently I'm stuck at the gargoyles, I say stuck, I mean too shit to survive.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:31 am

And I finally got enough xp to make each of my spells actually count. Breezed through Darkmoon Gardens and Basin in about an hour. Now I'm getting somewhere.