Why does sexism persist in the video games industry?

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Why does sexism persist in the video games industry?

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:09 am

tuco wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:Why do you keep asking "what are we debating"?? I'm assuming you can read, yes?
Simply because I do not understand it. Is there anything you want to know on topic? I will tell you. Do you want to just bicker on topic? Sure, just tell me. I do not want to bicker. There is no "new" information you bring so that is what I do not get. Convince others is what debate is about? lol Yeah that kinda explains it actually. Just forget it.
I'm happy to forget it. Your posts make no sense at all.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:11 am

Forty Two wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:I'll have a crack, though.

Negative gender roles are reenforced by toys and gameas and other parts of popular culture.
This you'll have to substantiate with a citation. Are gender roles necessarily negative, or are you referring to certain gender roles which are negative (other roles being positive)?

Is a culture which involves different, say, manners of dress between men and women necessarily negative? Would it be positive if we all wore the same types of clothes regardless of sex? Women wear panties and men wear boxers/briefs -- is that negative? Would it be positive if men and women all wore silk thong panties or all wore boxer shorts?
rEvolutionist wrote: This is a problem if you agree that boys are encouraged by culture to *be* something (like a builder, or a fireman, or a doctor etc) and girls are encouraged to *look like* something (i.e. Barbie guff).
It seems to me that society is more complex than this, and girls are encouraged to be far more than that. That would explain why women are like 60% of the college students and have been for a generation.
Yes, one stat disproves widespread gender roles in society. :roll:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:15 am

tuco wrote:I do not see anyone debating sexist aspects of video games here.

This is second post here:
rEvolutionist wrote:Without reading the OP, let alone the article or anything on this topic, or knowing very much about this subject at all, I'd expect it's because males overwhelmingly make up the majority of gamers. And gamers are probably more likely to be detached from real life and real women, and hence think of women as fictional characters to begin with. That last idea may not be based on any evidence at all..
Basically .. I know nothing but I think .. cool story bro. That was really useful. Like asking random stranger. And when I cite relevant information, you for example and as I noted already completely disregard it and carry on with what you .. think.

Shall I quote other posts? On those other aspects.
Get off your high horse. This isn't ratskep. It's a more conversational forum. I was clearly giving an opinion, not making a factually rigorous statement. What's your problem??

tuco

Post by tuco » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:26 am

Many and none of your concern. Cmon, does it really take so much of whatever to act like adult, intelligent and educated? If the main or sole purpose of starting threads with issues is to just chit-chat about it, then well not much for me to do but recognize it. I will not adopt it however as its not my way so to say.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:35 am

Your only way so far seems to be to whine about the quality of threads while ironically making said threads of lesser quality because of your whining. :fp:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:I'll have a crack, though.

Negative gender roles are reenforced by toys and gameas and other parts of popular culture.
This you'll have to substantiate with a citation. Are gender roles necessarily negative, or are you referring to certain gender roles which are negative (other roles being positive)?

Is a culture which involves different, say, manners of dress between men and women necessarily negative? Would it be positive if we all wore the same types of clothes regardless of sex? Women wear panties and men wear boxers/briefs -- is that negative? Would it be positive if men and women all wore silk thong panties or all wore boxer shorts?
rEvolutionist wrote: This is a problem if you agree that boys are encouraged by culture to *be* something (like a builder, or a fireman, or a doctor etc) and girls are encouraged to *look like* something (i.e. Barbie guff).
It seems to me that society is more complex than this, and girls are encouraged to be far more than that. That would explain why women are like 60% of the college students and have been for a generation.
Yes, one stat disproves widespread gender roles in society. :roll:
Which stat? What are you talking about?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm

tuco wrote:Many and none of your concern. Cmon, does it really take so much of whatever to act like adult, intelligent and educated? If the main or sole purpose of starting threads with issues is to just chit-chat about it, then well not much for me to do but recognize it. I will not adopt it however as its not my way so to say.
It's unclear to me what you're trying to say.

If you have a contribution to the issue being discussed, then nobody is stopping you from making it.

Feel free to frame the issue or question as you understand it or see fit. We can discuss that, if you like.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Jeezus.

tuco

Post by tuco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:55 am

Forty Two wrote:
tuco wrote:Many and none of your concern. Cmon, does it really take so much of whatever to act like adult, intelligent and educated? If the main or sole purpose of starting threads with issues is to just chit-chat about it, then well not much for me to do but recognize it. I will not adopt it however as its not my way so to say.
It's unclear to me what you're trying to say.

If you have a contribution to the issue being discussed, then nobody is stopping you from making it.

Feel free to frame the issue or question as you understand it or see fit. We can discuss that, if you like.
My contribution to the issue is to note that what you (and others, its not personal) demonstrate is either: a) not close to reality b) not on topic c) irrelevant d) bickering e) etc Simply put, my contribution is to put the debate on course, proper course of adult, intelligent and educated debate. I posted 2 materials with data/insight. Got zero response. Figured that data/insight is not sought here and proceeded to put to you (and others) on course.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:10 am

Where would we be without your (in)coherency?

tuco

Post by tuco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:28 am

Exactly where you are. Unable or/and unwilling to .. think.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 am

Well thank dog we've got you here to save us!

tuco

Post by tuco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:05 am

lol you try hard to get me to your level. perhaps as hard as I try to get you on mine. I am your gadfly ;)

---
edit: as for me being incomprehensible. Let me note a) foreigners speaking English seem to understand it better than native speakers b) i am not serving you stuff just to consume c) i did not learn at school, but on job, from movies, internet and chatting. And finally, if you do not understand what I write, then its likely not for you anyway. I think of it as filter.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:18 am

Tell us what you reckon then. Does game sexism reflect wider society? If so, why do you think sexism persists in society? Is this good, bad, or neither?

tuco

Post by tuco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 am

I've already answered that. Seriously. Except for the last. I think its ugly, that is why I said .. dont be idiot (about it) .. when in environment where status implies power and/or privilege. This goes for minority and majority alike.

Just a side note, sometimes its let say easier in virtual world simply because its possible to hide, not make public respectively, identity. Humans cant help neurons from firing in pre-determined ways. In this sense, less personal information the better. I do understand that humans tend to send signals, demonstrating their personality, on purpose but I am not so sure it serves well for certain purposes. I do not care if someone on my team/clan/community is fat, black, transsexual who admires Seth. I care about performance and interaction. Neurons however do their own thing regardless.