The Last of Us.

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Re: The Last of Us.

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Animavore wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:There is a big difference between a developer making a game only for one platform, and a publisher paying for exclusive rights so the developer can't make their game for other platforms.
They all do it so I still don't know why you are singling out Sony.
There was a time when publishers played a massive role in development, and at that point most of the competition between platforms was who had the best games. In recent years development has become much easier and developers have more publishing options including self-publishing. This has diminished the role of the publishers so now most of them are more inclined to offer assistance in publishing rather than pressure developers into exclusive deals. I think Sony haven't quite kept up, preferring to try and hold on to what they had. I must admit I have nothing solid to back this up, - it's just my perception of how the markets have been going.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Audley Strange wrote:No they can't stop people making games for PC's, not at all, but they can develop (and by all intents, intend to) operating systems which are not tailored to support games, which means that it might make it more and more inconvenient to play games on a PC. The way things are looking at the moment with tablets, phones etc, it seems to me that with the new wave of consoles the idea is to try and move away from people in their homes even having PC's.

Seems like a tactical move by big business concerns, adapt the hardware, control the software.

Sadly I suspect you are right. I have played PC games for the last 20 years and it is a big hobby for me. Now that I am retired even more so (though I hasten to add I don't play games all day!). Less and less space in stores at least has been dedicated to them on the shelves over the last five years or so and although there has been a move towards downloading via the likes of Steam, it seems clear to me that the hardware industry have an eye on carving the whole thing up.

Perhaps in response to that Steam (and I believe others) are working on Linux based platforms. I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 pm

Anyway, back on topic :toetap:

Reminds me of The Walking Dead and Revolution mixed with, um... Ico :{D
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri May 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Rum wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:No they can't stop people making games for PC's, not at all, but they can develop (and by all intents, intend to) operating systems which are not tailored to support games, which means that it might make it more and more inconvenient to play games on a PC. The way things are looking at the moment with tablets, phones etc, it seems to me that with the new wave of consoles the idea is to try and move away from people in their homes even having PC's.

Seems like a tactical move by big business concerns, adapt the hardware, control the software.

Sadly I suspect you are right. I have played PC games for the last 20 years and it is a big hobby for me. Now that I am retired even more so (though I hasten to add I don't play games all day!). Less and less space in stores at least has been dedicated to them on the shelves over the last five years or so and although there has been a move towards downloading via the likes of Steam, it seems clear to me that the hardware industry have an eye on carving the whole thing up.

Perhaps in response to that Steam (and I believe others) are working on Linux based platforms. I'm looking forward to what they come up with.
Personally they should settle on a format and release various blue-ray consoles that play a single format of games. You want top of the range graphics and sound then you buy one with bells and whistles, but asda should sell generic rubbish ones for £30 too. That way all games designers have to do is concentrate on making games, rather than ports and exclusives. Though with the way fibreoptic is going, I think we might even see an end to consoles entirely.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 pm

:toetap:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Fri May 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Rum wrote:

It is the hardware companies that cause the hassle with linux gaming. Linux graphics drivers are unifromly shite. Hopefully they will get their arses in gear soon.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri May 31, 2013 6:30 pm

Dammit! If I hadn't've traded in God of War: Ascension I could be playing The Last of Us demo right now :sulk:

It was released an hour ago.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 pm

When does the game proper come out? Too drunk/lazy to look it up :smoke:
Last edited by tattuchu on Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 pm

I really want the new Metro game.. but I don't want to shell out $50. :|

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:07 am

tattuchu wrote:When does the game proper come out? Too drunk/lazy to look it up :smoke:
14/6

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 am

Apparently the Australian Intelligence Agency had knowledge about a potential attack but the higher-ups dismissed it as a load of baloney.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 am

Who the fuck has time to play video games these days? Are you all unemployed loners with wealthy benefactors?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 am

I have never, in my entire life, played a video/computer game...

Do I win a prize?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:27 pm

JimC wrote:I have never, in my entire life, played a video/computer game...

Do I win a prize?
Congratulations! You win an Xbox!
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 pm

JimC wrote:I have never, in my entire life, played a video/computer game...

Do I win a prize?
Not even Pac Man, Asteroids, or Donkey Kong? How is that even possible?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka