Journey

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Re: Journey

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Just to give you a little idea,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7USpvkyY ... re=related[/youtube]

You control Flower by tilting the controller which can take some getting used to but it's worth it.

and

I haven't played this, looks maybe a bit too basic but still...

We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis
About me: absurdly creative twat

Post by dj357 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Thatgamecompany are an awesome bunch of people who make amazing games! The way Journey wraps up may or may not have you a little pissed off, I know there are a certain number of people who complete the game and say "WTF?!?" but I thoroughly enjoyed and it was such an amazing, intense experience, just like Flower was before it. I highly recommend sitting down to play for a good few hours whenever you have the chance as you'll get the best experience from it that way.

Also, FYI, there's no Playstation exclusivity on the part of Sony, it's on the part of the developers, Thatgamecompany. They're most comfortable working with Sony's SDKs as far as I'm aware.
"what good is something if you can't have it until you die..." - Greg Graffin
"in meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!" - Till Lindemann
http://dj357.wordpress.com/ - my views on stuff
http://www.facebook.com/sinisterdivideband - my metal band

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Going to be playing this later.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis

Post by dj357 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Animavore wrote:Going to be playing this later.
trying to stay away from it as long as possible so I can be truly wowed by it all over again whenever I do give in to the urge to replay it

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

dj357 wrote:Also, FYI, there's no Playstation exclusivity on the part of Sony, it's on the part of the developers, Thatgamecompany. They're most comfortable working with Sony's SDKs as far as I'm aware.
Nowadays making games for one platform is pretty much the same as any other. They were tied into a three game exclusive contract with Sony - and it was marketed as exclusive on the PlayStation. Now they've made their three games they have said that their next project will be independent so they have a chance to reach a wider audience. Sony are finally starting to make things easier for developers and indies, and I think they're putting focus on that with the run up to the PS4, but it has been a while coming.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

dj357
Jehovah's Nemesis

Post by dj357 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:
dj357 wrote:Also, FYI, there's no Playstation exclusivity on the part of Sony, it's on the part of the developers, Thatgamecompany. They're most comfortable working with Sony's SDKs as far as I'm aware.
Nowadays making games for one platform is pretty much the same as any other. They were tied into a three game exclusive contract with Sony - and it was marketed as exclusive on the PlayStation. Now they've made their three games they have said that their next project will be independent so they have a chance to reach a wider audience. Sony are finally starting to make things easier for developers and indies, and I think they're putting focus on that with the run up to the PS4, but it has been a while coming.
Having worked for a company who developed for Sony PSP I can say the Sony-side of the development process was actually pretty good. The technical/programming side of things was quite complex but once they were happy to work with you the process of actually getting the game out there was reasonably straightforward. I can't say how easy it was to get to that points (i.e actually getting the agreement to publish our games on their platform) so given that they've now radically changed the development process I would imagine there will be a large amount of indie developers bringing their content to PS4 which can only be good both for gaming and for Sony.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Finally got around to playing it. It was awesome of the most awesome. :shiver:

It's amazing how they got so much emotion out of a wordless story and how much you can communicate with an anonymous partner with a single button and a couple of notes.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:33 pm

:cheers:

I thought it very beautiful and unusual and surprisingly enrapturing.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:48 pm

You start off, a nameless, Bedouin chappy in the desert. Upon the horizon looms a high, volcanic-looking mountain spewing golden light. It is apparent that that is where you must head, flitting and floating o'er the dunes.
It's not long before you hear a couple of subdued, musical toots. You follow the sound. Another player has entered the fray. You let of a couple of affirmative toots of your own. You approach each other circling, wary. The other player signals with a couple of quick notes that you are to follow him/her. They have a secret to show you.

As you traverse the levels you grow closer to your companion and develop a musical rapport. Tooting and hooting at one another either playfully, urgently or triumphantly as circumstance demands. At one stage your mischievous accomplice, after hovering off ahead of you, signals from behind a rock. You scoot over to the location - Gone! They chirp from beyond a boulder. A jovial game of hide and seek has been initiated.
This is the level of wanton frolicking the game encourages without asking.
When separated from your buddy your feel as if severed at a tether. An ode to joy is played upon your reacquaintance.

The string arrangement of the score is beautiful and haunting with sombre cello to bring the mood down and jubilant violin to propel you aloft. It drives the whole game along and it feels like you are playing out an oratorio put to video game.

10/10

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Journey. 77 positive reviews. No mixed reviews. And 1 negative.

But I'm not going to rage, hate or call for his head. He's already dead inside.

:levi:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm

It is teh OSSUMZ. Too short by a mile though. Let's hope their next project is truly MASSIVE!!1! :biggrin:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 pm

...must try this game