Best console to buy

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
nellikin
Dirt(y) girl
About me: KSC

Best console to buy

Post by nellikin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 am

So Xmas is coming and the kids have earned themselves a console. My son got a 3ds for his birthday (and is obsessed) - and wants a wii for xmas (because of Mario). My hubby and I were tending towards an xbox with kinect (will cost few mortgage repayments, but we will finally have an external HDD to record TV on). Then there is PS3 (with blu-ray capacity?). So what's the go - any advice out there. It's mainly for the kids (7 years old, so nothing ultra-violent now) and all I want is to be able to play sonic every now and then. My hubby plays on the comp anyhow, so I don't think he cares much.

Your help is appreciated :biggrin:
To ignore the absence of evidence is the base of true faith.
-Gore Vidal

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Best console to buy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 am

Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 am

Playstation. It has better exclusives. It has better graphics generally. You don't have to pay a fee to play online.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:28 pm

I game on my PC - best if you care about visual quality and performance. I've hardly used my 360 at all. I found the Wii to be a lot of fun - more socially geared console imo so maybe better for a family system. :dunno:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:53 pm

PordFrefect wrote:I game on my PC - best if you care about visual quality and performance. I've hardly used my 360 at all. I found the Wii to be a lot of fun - more socially geared console imo so maybe better for a family system. :dunno:
:this: A good PC costs about $348 at Wal-Mart right now. And they can do damn near anything a console can do, plus all the things a console can't. So why bother with a console? You're buying 1/3 of a computer for the same price. It's a scam.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Same here. We have had a PS, XBox and Wii and we keep coming back to the PC for better graphics and in my view better interface.

The Wii is fun for social gaming I guess, though the Xbox offers that with the kinect thingy (which I haven't tried).

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Rum wrote:Same here. We have had a PS, XBox and Wii and we keep coming back to the PC for better graphics and in my view better interface.

The Wii is fun for social gaming I guess, though the Xbox offers that with the kinect thingy (which I haven't tried).
Once they've sold all the Kinects they can to console owners they'll come out with a PC version.

Gallstones2
Let It All Hang Out

Post by Gallstones2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I have an older version of XBox 360 but the graphics on the PC are better
Tried the Kinect at the grandson's better but still not as good as the PC
Marjee,normally don't deliver but I will for you!!!!!
P^3 + A^3 + T^3 = MFZ