Now what are you playing now 2: Limited Collectors Edition

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Now what are you playing now 2: Limited Collectors Editi

Post by Animavore » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 am

The top two comments on that article complain about day one patches, the second one moans that you have to go make your dinner while you wait for the patch to download.

They know they can play the game without the patch, right? I mean there's not a bunch of stupid people out there who see a patch notification pop up and say,'Oh I have to wait for this crap"? Right?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:10 am

I never read the comments on the Guardian. It's a right TrollFest. Within about 10 minutes someone's blaming everything on New Labour and someone else is posting "Tory Scum" - regardless of the article.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:17 pm

tattuchu wrote:I'm replaying Bioshock. I saved all the Little Sisters. Now they're helping me, bless their hearts.
It's presented as a dilemma, but you get almost as much Adam from helping them as you would from harvesting them all.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am

It's back! :awesome:

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:28 pm

tattuchu wrote:I got Fallout 4! :tat:

But I still have no PS4 to play it on :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fallout 4 is an awesome game with waaay more 'depth' to it than I expected, and actually quite moving in places (for those that take the time to look at the stories in the computer terminals, etc. spread throughout the Commonwealth). Here's a good example of such in a side mission:-

:cry:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:30 pm

tattuchu wrote:I got Fallout 4! :tat:

But I still have no PS4 to play it on :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fallout 4 is an awesome game with waaay more 'depth' to it than I expected, and actually quite moving in places (for those that take the time to look at the stories in the computer terminals, etc. spread throughout the Commonwealth). Here's a good example of such in a side mission:-
https://youtu.be/qSS03vzzSjE?list=PLX3S ... JXeeCJyUcD (Can't get vid to work)

:cry:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:40 pm

I play this with the kids, it's great:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Have not posted in this thread for literally years.

I was an 'early adopter' of all things computer and owned a ZX spectrum as soon as they came out in the 80s, got on the internet when there were only about 5000 in the UK on it (my phone bills were terrifying!).

Anyway games have always been my thing and even at my advancing age I play PC and other computer games regularly, if a little less so than perhaps ten years ago.

The reason for this post is the Nintendo Switch and the biggest game so far available for it. Zelda: The Breath of the Wild.

This is an astonishing game - almost a wonder of civilisation itself - and I'm not exaggerating. A staggering achievement - a living, dynamic breathing world that changes all the time, that offers challenges and scenes of beauty and even awe now and again, along with stories that grab you and pull you in. A technological marvel melded with wonderful imagination and creativity.

I have a very short list of the very best computer/console games ever made. Mario 64 is one. Bioshock Infinite another and Breath of the Wild probably a nose ahead of both.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Rum wrote:Have not posted in this thread for literally years.

I was an 'early adopter' of all things computer and owned a ZX spectrum as soon as they came out in the 80s, got on the internet when there were only about 5000 in the UK on it (my phone bills were terrifying!).

Anyway games have always been my thing and even at my advancing age I play PC and other computer games regularly, if a little less so than perhaps ten years ago.

The reason for this post is the Nintendo Switch and the biggest game so far available for it. Zelda: The Breath of the Wild.

This is an astonishing game - almost a wonder of civilisation itself - and I'm not exaggerating. A staggering achievement - a living, dynamic breathing world that changes all the time, that offers challenges and scenes of beauty and even awe now and again, along with stories that grab you and pull you in. A technological marvel melded with wonderful imagination and creativity.

I have a very short list of the very best computer/console games ever made. Mario 64 is one. Bioshock Infinite another and Breath of the Wild probably a nose ahead of both.
I very, VERY much want to play this game. But I've been awfully confused about which console to buy. I thought I had to buy a Wii--or the latest iteration of the Wii, whatever that may be--but then I keep seeing this Switch thing... which I don't understand. Well, I guess I understand, in that it's a hybrid system--both a handheld or a home console depending on which you want to play. But, for me, I have ZERO use for a hand-held. So, should I still get the Switch? Or something else?
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am

DOOM4 on my daughter's PS4. She bought if for me. Those face-biters are a lot quicker and harder to hit than they used to be.

BOOOOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 am

tattuchu wrote:
Rum wrote:Have not posted in this thread for literally years.

I very, VERY much want to play this game. But I've been awfully confused about which console to buy. I thought I had to buy a Wii--or the latest iteration of the Wii, whatever that may be--but then I keep seeing this Switch thing... which I don't understand. Well, I guess I understand, in that it's a hybrid system--both a handheld or a home console depending on which you want to play. But, for me, I have ZERO use for a hand-held. So, should I still get the Switch? Or something else?
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
It's sold well enough that Nintendo will drop support for the 3DS and you don't need to use it as a hand held if you don't want to. If you're into Nintendo games then the Switch is the one you want right now.
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:54 am

The Switch is great. I don't use it as a hand held at all these days. The games are hard to beat though - quality wise.

As a matter of interest to those who care - the Switch outsold the PS4 over the last sales year by a considerable margin and even the XBox at almost 15 million worldwide.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks, guys. I was confused because,usually, with handhelds, you get poorer quality graphics. But that doesn't appear to be the case with the Switch, and I can just use it in its home-console capacity and ignore the handheld feature. So this is good news, as the Switch is not out of my price range (though I really need to concentrate on putting money into my vehicle right now).

The bad news is that is seems a Zelda came out for the Wii a while back that I was completely unaware of. Holy fuck, has it been that long since Twilight Princess came out? :what: Anyway, this particular game, Skyward Sword, is not currently available for the Switch, and may not ever be, since its gameplay apparently relies heavily on the Wii's motion controller :sulk:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm

tattuchu wrote:Thanks, guys. I was confused because,usually, with handhelds, you get poorer quality graphics. But that doesn't appear to be the case with the Switch, and I can just use it in its home-console capacity and ignore the handheld feature. So this is good news, as the Switch is not out of my price range (though I really need to concentrate on putting money into my vehicle right now).

The bad news is that is seems a Zelda came out for the Wii a while back that I was completely unaware of. Holy fuck, has it been that long since Twilight Princess came out? :what: Anyway, this particular game, Skyward Sword, is not currently available for the Switch, and may not ever be, since its gameplay apparently relies heavily on the Wii's motion controller :sulk:
Breath of the Wild blows all the previous Zelda games out of the water. I'm still playing it 400 hours in, though I've killed the final boss.

The graphics on the Switch are fine on a big TV by the way - that's how I play games with it. Most are cell shaded so you don't notice and what with clever software in the machine etc. it is a bit of an irrelevance.

If you have the dosh don't hesitate - go get it!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Tat - a screenshot - to whet your appetite!
botw1.jpg