Dead Island

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
MattShizzle

Dead Island

Post by MattShizzle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Anyone else pre-order this? I did about a month and a half ago. Comes out Sep 1 in the US and Sep 3 elsewhere iirc.

MattShizzle

Re: Dead Island

Post by MattShizzle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 pm

http://deadisland.deepsilver.com
They now have a new video of parts of the game and released info on all 4 main characters.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

Actually released (In the US) on the 6th - Tuesday. Amazon informs me it's been shipped and due to arrive at my house via UPS on the 6th.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:57 pm

According to Amazon it arrived in Philly at 8:24 Saturday night and should come to my house tomorrow (the official release date.)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:06 am

First reviews are in and they're good.
http://thekoalition.com/2011/09/dead-is ... ombieland/
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Games ... sland_360/

I was really hoping for a demo first. Maybe they'll release one tomorrow.
I'm still waiting for a Space Marine review.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:53 pm

I have it but haven't installed it yet.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Taking forever to install - about 40 minutes and not even halfway - at 1.9Mb/s!

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:55 pm

It's almost unplayably buggy.

Mallardz
Definitely not Even Liam!

Post by Mallardz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I haven't got it but after watching BlueXephos of the Yogscast have a go this evening I think it looks awesome. I'd love a copy.
Ratz it's more addictive than facebook and more fun than crack!

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:52 am

I'm stuck in an elevator and can't get out because the crouch/duck key doesn't work. From the Steam forums (and btw thanks for letting us know it has web-based DRM before ordering. Never would have ordered knowing that - especially since from what I read the pirated versions don't have the problems the bought ones do.) most people are having problems so bad they either can't play at all or barely so. Why the fuck don't these companies test before releasing?

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 am

That'll teach you to pre-order.

Never pre-order games, by doing so you encourage Games Companies to release products on schedule rather than when they are finished.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 am

This game so far is beyond ordinary fail or even epic fail. A testing version uploaded to those who download via Steam? all the bugs in it and the DVD version??? This is a FAIL masterpiece. This is the FAIL version of the Iliad and the Oddyssey. This will go down in the annals of FAIL. People will be talking about this level of FAIL in awe for centuries.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:34 am

Audley Strange wrote:That'll teach you to pre-order.

Never pre-order games, by doing so you encourage Games Companies to release products on schedule rather than when they are finished.
I'm starting to think I'm done buying games period. Other than the like 9.99 ones or such on gamehouse and direct2drive. They are way better than the $50+ ones elsewhere and work right. Otherwise I'll just do like I do with movies/TV and pirate. The pirates get a game that works for free and don't have to jump through hoops to play.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:02 am

I never buy games in the first month or so they come out because it seems to be industry standard to release buggy crap (again because of release date demands and per-orders) which means that so many people take them back I get them second hand dirt cheap. As for the whole Steam and others using online DRM that pisses me off so much that I'd rather pick a game up for console as so as I can actually play it rather than keep my fingers crossed that it will install correctly or that the servers are down.

You have my sympathies Matt, it is plain that you were excited about this.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Mallardz
Definitely not Even Liam!

Post by Mallardz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:16 am

I watched the updated video if you press the "y" key you can go into a cam modefly around the island and teleport to anywhere you want!
The game is really good to look at and looks brilliant to play but with the errors in it is truly ruined.
Ratz it's more addictive than facebook and more fun than crack!