Minecraft

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Marky

Minecraft

Post by Marky » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:47 am

Minecraft is a fabulous creative tool. First of all, how many of you have it, but more importantly, why don't you show me your shit? :dance:

I'm working on 64 block tall pyramid made of Sandstone, I'll upload some WIP shots if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I made the mistake of building it in a snowy biome :fp: Never mind :P

drl2

Re: Minecraft

Post by drl2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 pm

My kids fight over who gets to play minecraft next (at which point my wife or I kick them off the PC to play it ourselves). What amazes me most about the game is the idea that you can actually create logic circuits in-game with it - people have built working, simple CPUs composed of series of red lines drawn on fields of grass and dirt. I've also seen some creative monster-harvesting machines, sheep cannons, etc.

If you're interested in building really big, complex stuff with it, you might want to check out MCEdit - it lets you mark & manipulate large sections of blocks without many hours of shh shh shh shh POP! shh shh shh shh POP!
Who needs a signature anyway?

Mallardz
Definitely not Even Liam!

Post by Mallardz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 pm

I think it looks crap and have played it still thinking its crap but I may have to download it and give it another whirl since it seems so popular.....

Do I need to be able to use my mouse and keyboard at the same time to be effective. I can only use one at a time.... damn netbook!
Ratz it's more addictive than facebook and more fun than crack!

Marky

Post by Marky » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

drl2 wrote:My kids fight over who gets to play minecraft next (at which point my wife or I kick them off the PC to play it ourselves). What amazes me most about the game is the idea that you can actually create logic circuits in-game with it - people have built working, simple CPUs composed of series of red lines drawn on fields of grass and dirt. I've also seen some creative monster-harvesting machines, sheep cannons, etc.

If you're interested in building really big, complex stuff with it, you might want to check out MCEdit - it lets you mark & manipulate large sections of blocks without many hours of shh shh shh shh POP! shh shh shh shh POP!
Yes, I've seen the vids of all the weird and wonderful things people have done with redstone dust, it's crazy. I know of MCEdit, but I'd rather do it the old fashioned way, it's more fun :P

It was a vid a guy giving an infinite fire tutorial and accidentally, but casually burning down his newly-built house on a mulitplayer server that first piqued my interest in the game :hehe:

Orphia Nay

Post by Orphia Nay » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:44 am

Mr Nay and Kid Nay are Minecraft nuts.

Check out Mr Nay's rollercoaster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F18cxDjpUb0

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 am

I have a copy but I'm scared of it. I haven't even installed it yet
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 am

Orphia Nay wrote:Mr Nay and Kid Nay are Minecraft nuts.

Check out Mr Nay's rollercoaster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F18cxDjpUb0
Brilliant! Must have taken ages to make!

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:42 pm

I love Minecraft, even though I don't play it myself I am a total fan of it. It reminds me of my Lego days in a weird way. The concept is simply brilliant.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you