Brutal Legend

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Brutal Legend

Post by Trolldor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:03 am

Done and finished, and you know what? I enjoyed it. Really enjoyed it.
There wasn't a single badly-delivered line from any of the VA's, even Ozzy Osbourne was clear. I laughed often enough for me to admit I liked it.
The Music was brilliant executed as it wasn't just background music, there were times when specific music was set for specific segments of the game which really elevated the entire atmosphere of the moment.
The gameplay was where it fell down, but not enough to be damaging. The exploration segment gave you enough help with the main mechanics, but the extras - like the secrets and even the upgrade shop - you had to figure out on your own. What they did throw in was an RTS mechanic - which was actually quite interestingly executed. During portions of the game you'll be thrown in to a 'show' where you have to train an army, capture resource points (called fans) and ultimately destroy your opponent's stage. All this is explained well enough, but there are a few small things it leaves out - such as the ability to mount the stage for a final stand, which I didn't know was possible until a tooltip that appeared after the final battle of the game.

Overall, it's fairly easy to pick up, but the game's strength isn't, rather weirdly, the actual game. It's the story and the environment, for everything it was, I couldn't but think it would have been better as an animated film. It's rather sad that they're not making a sequel, because they could have really improved on what was there and made close to a perfect game.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."