Sylvia Plath's Son Takes Own Life

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Sylvia Plath's Son Takes Own Life

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:06 pm

I thought this might interest one or two of you. Not to mention open up an interesting nature v nurture debate regarding suicidal tendencies and depression.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7958876.stm
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Dasein
Poppet
Poppet

Re: Sylvia Plath's Son Takes Own Life

Post by Dasein » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm

interesting news. I used to become so angry when someone commited suicide, thinking it was such a cop-out, but have since come to understand that depression isn't something you can just take off like a jacket. Still is a shame though.
Her hobbies include perspicacity and building models of the soul in lego.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:37 pm

A friend of mine killed himself. I've mentioned it online before. He was a truly magnificent if very troubled young man. I've never begrudged him for what he did, his life would have been too difficult to continue. He suffered from bipolar disorder. It would probably have calmed down as he got older, but I suspect it was too difficult for him to get that far.

For me, he's the middle star in Orion's Belt. I see him every time the stars are out.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Red Katie
Chief Muff Muncher

Post by Red Katie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:13 am

Note: Suicide and depression are not the same thing. Many depressed people lead long, miserable lives. Suicide is something else. Something different from mere depression.

Having said that, I can see why Hughs did it. He lived in Alaska, for God's sake. Pass the pistol, Hannah. Eugene, bring that ax over here.
"Her eye was on the sparrow. Her mind was on the dove,
But no one cared and no one dared to speak to her of love.
Her eyes are always hooded. Her claws are sharp as steel.
We teach her not to see too much. We teach her not to feel."

Dasein
Poppet
Poppet

Post by Dasein » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 am

Rk, you are right, about depression being different from suicidal urges; and about living in Alaska! If the temp drops below 70 I lose all luster for life. What is it that pushes one from depression to suicide? Fuck knows I'm a miserable cow half of the time, yet there is always that love of the little things, or hope of something new; there is always a reason to live one more day. What makes people say fuck it, fuck life?

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:14 am

Conversely one can be inherently happy and optimistic, yet sometimes a low point can be reached through circumstance where the option of it becomes something on the table rather than ruled out.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Dasein
Poppet
Poppet

Post by Dasein » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:23 am

Interesting, B. It makes sense, and they are the suicides that piss me off, an inability to face the rougher stuff because life's been pleasant thus far.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:26 am

I can't say I've never been in that place before, but I understand your feeling... it seems a weakness, a cop-out, a primal failure to want to keep the life-force generating.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:33 am

Red Katie wrote:Eugene, bring that ax over here.
+1

:lol: And don't be careful with it, I suppose?

Edit: :oops: Derail. Sorry.

I've been on the verge of suicide before. More than once. Life really sucked that much back then. I decided to stick it out, since I didn't see how it could get much worse. It got better.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Dasein
Poppet
Poppet

Post by Dasein » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:38 am

and I can't say I don't feel empathy, unhappiness sucks. I can't get over the feeling of the waste of a beautiful life. shrug. Life is complex, and I can't profess to see inside why.

Dasein
Poppet
Poppet

Post by Dasein » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 am

FBM wrote:
Red Katie wrote:Eugene, bring that ax over here.
+1

:lol: And don't be careful with it, I suppose?

Edit: :oops: Derail. Sorry.

I've been on the verge of suicide before. More than once. Life really sucked that much back then. I decided to stick it out, since I didn't see how it could get much worse. It got better.

It made me laugh too.

right, you had some hope. I've been there too, perched on the edge, but sarcastic enough deep down to find the irony in it all, I guess.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:53 am

Dasein wrote:right, you had some hope. I've been there too, perched on the edge, but sarcastic enough deep down to find the irony in it all, I guess.
I really didn't have any hope or sarcasm at those times, actually. It was just a profound feeling that 'This isn't the right way to deal with this.' It took a long, long time before things actually started getting better, but they did. They didn't kill me, so they made me stronger. No doubt about that. Now... 8-)
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Dasein
Poppet
Poppet

Post by Dasein » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 am

FBM wrote:
Dasein wrote:right, you had some hope. I've been there too, perched on the edge, but sarcastic enough deep down to find the irony in it all, I guess.
I really didn't have any hope or sarcasm at those times, actually. It was just a profound feeling that 'This isn't the right way to deal with this.' It took a long, long time before things actually started getting better, but they did. They didn't kill me, so they made me stronger. No doubt about that. Now... 8-)

:hugs: so you had logic. you had something, anyway.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:14 am

Dasein wrote:
FBM wrote:

:hugs: so you had logic. you had something, anyway.
:hugs: !

Red Katie
Chief Muff Muncher

Post by Red Katie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 am

I have run with the black dog myself, for years at a time, sometimes. I've even plotted out how to kill myself so my heirs don't lose. But I never made a serious gesture to do it. I always wanted to see what would happen next. And when my parents threw me out and I had to sell my ass on the street, I was never even tempted to turn to drugs. I don't know what it is. Some of us got it and some of us ain't, I guess.
"Her eye was on the sparrow. Her mind was on the dove,
But no one cared and no one dared to speak to her of love.
Her eyes are always hooded. Her claws are sharp as steel.
We teach her not to see too much. We teach her not to feel."