Urgent need to buy 15 audio books by August 1st

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Re: Urgent need to buy 15 audio books by August 1st

Post by rasetsu » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:01 pm

macdoc wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:38 pm
Did you sign up for Chirp?
Yes, that's where I got Stranger In A Strange land.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:10 am

cool
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:31 am

macdoc wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:38 pm
A Song Of Fire and Ice, George R.R. Martin
is on libgen just sayin' :biggrin:
Are you sure? I don't see any audiobooks of it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 am

Not audio books - only ebooks ...more's the pity.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:09 am

macdoc wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 am
Not audio books - only ebooks ...more's the pity.
Oh, whew. I thought I was jumping the shark some way.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 pm

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:42 pm

Purchased a handful of Warhammer 40K based audiobooks from Humble Bundle for a buck. I'm sure they're not high art, but they'll be an occasional diversion, immersing myself in the world will heighten my enjoyment of Warhammer 40K games, and because they're standalone audio books, it will give me an excuse to learn how to use standalone audiobook files. I have the Game Of Thrones audiobooks that I got from "somewhere" and those are standalone as well.

I'm finding it difficult to get myself to spend time with audiobooks. That would probably change if I listened more regularly, but it is what it is for now. I've got one credit remaining which I'll likely spend on Norman Mailer's magnum opus, wait until my trial expires, and before it does, switch to the plan whereby you pay $17 for two months and receive one credit every other month. Along those lines, I'll probably keep Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Paperwhite that I bought, but it's still a bit early on that to say for sure. I spend 5-7 hours donating plasma twice a week, much of that time of which could be devoted to reading or listening, if I'd just make it a habit. Reading while I donated yesterday was nice as while I had my eyes focused on the book, my ears were entertained by high-fidelity music. I'm thinking of ditching my good headphones for a cheaper, more convenient option, but I'm not all that picky about sound quality generally. It only has to be decent, not great.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:06 pm

work the charm ...bought two pairs as partner who is fussy liked them
I use for riding - she for gardening - hard to believe the technology for the price

https://www.amazon.com/NANAMI-Bluetooth ... =8-15&th=1

You just need to get better tips - 5-7mm
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Premium ... 482&sr=8-3

Wear behind the neck ...waterproof and charge very fast via USB-c ( cable with them ).

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am

I've got an in-ear pair that I like, but in-ear is inconvenient because of my lack of fingers, it can take anywhere up to a minute to put them in. I found that my old, on-ear, behind-the-neck headphones are lighter than I thought they were. I had been thinking of the pair before that.

Ideally I'd like something like this:

The Sony's are supposed to be good, but I'm not ready to commit that much until I'm sure audiobooks are my thing.

These are the ones that I have, that I haven't used in a while. They're easy to use and are only 2.4 ounces.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:23 am

Lack of fingers? :ask:
What's wrong with the Sony's you have? ( I am littered with IEMs and headphones but I wear the IEMs out riding ( wreck them ) so I have some small excuse but then I fix them and .......litter :biggrin:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:39 am

macdoc wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:23 am
Lack of fingers? :ask:
What's wrong with the Sony's you have? ( I am littered with IEMs and headphones but I wear the IEMs out riding ( wreck them ) so I have some small excuse but then I fix them and .......litter :biggrin:
I lost 9 of my 10 fingers in 2008. I don't have the Sony's. I have the Arctic's. And I've got a buttload of new computer expenses. (Building servers, even from 10 years old parts, is expensive.)

ETA: I didn't realize the Nanami's had the behind-the-neck thing. Those are a pain in winter. I've got a pair like the following, with which I'm happy, but I'm looking for something easier to put on and take off and that won't interfere with wearing a hat and scarf in winter.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:48 pm

Debating which audiobook to use my credit on. My renewal date is 10/9, and I had tentatively decided to cancel my subscription as I'm way too busy for audiobooks atm, and can restart in December or January. But then, I have to use my credit before I cancel, and I'm having trouble deciding. I grabbed Stephen King's 1-22-63, but then promptly returned it, given that I might wait until the 8th and switch to the bi-monthly plan. I was interested in Mailer's The Executioner's Song, but I don't like the narration, it's slow and overly deliberate. I considered The Arms Of Krupp, only to find that there is apparently half of a key chapter missing. I read Krupp in college and would like to renew my acquaintance, but not with a broken book. Moby Dick was another option, but there's a copy in the general free category, so, no need. And just this morning I've learned of the audio samples at Audible.com, which will make a big difference. I think I'll switch to the bi-monthly plan, as that's only a buck more than the basic, free library subscription, and I get to choose a premium title every other month. Given my focus on non-fiction and the classics, that's probably the best way to go.

The narration can really be a deal breaker. I looked at collections of Charles Dickens and Mark Twain, but the narration is poor. Wuthering Heights is appealing, and I like that it has a female narrator, but the narrator's enunciation is poor, so it comes out like she's slurring her words. *sigh* Who knew just picking out a book would be this much work. I like Audible, but I'm getting a lot more mileage from my Kindle Paperwhite. I don't have to use headphones and I can consume the information at a faster clip.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:23 pm

I get through more by taking walks and listening then.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:29 pm

using these Image

Not bad, though I see the price has gone up considerably since I bought mine.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:48 pm

I've got a pair of Jabra Elite 45h, which I like, but they're cumbersome if I don't need music-quality sound. Plus, the left one tends to make a thump sound while I'm walking. I recently picked up a pair of true wireless for $10, but haven't tried them yet. The Sony's are probably my best bet, but they're a bit pricey.